Banana Pi - Running OMV off SATA instead of SD card

• On a previous release of OMV I could have sworn there was an option to run OMV from the HardDrive instead of the SD card. I didn't find it on the latest release (OMV_3_0_87_Bananapi_4.12.9). In fact there were a couple of installation changes that thru me off.

Anyways I tried to do it on my own. After installing it and getting it the way I wanted, I removed the SD card and using my PC I made a backup of the root partition

cd [root partition]
    tar cpjf /backup.tar.bz2 .

then I also unplugged the HD from the banana pi and using a SATA-to-USB adapter I plugged it into my PC. Then I made a small partition and extracted the backup into it. On the boot partition on the SD card I modified armbianEnv.txt and set the rootdev option to point to the new partition on the harddrive.

I put everything back to the banana pi and it seemed to run smoothly BUT I had forgotten about fstab. Using SSH, I adjusted the fstab to reflect the new UUID and rebooted.Again everything seems to run smoothly. The question is: Did I forget something else? was it that easy? I don't see errors.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did I forget something else? was it that easy?

Nope, that is it.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Did I forget something else? was it that easy?

You might want to check the contents of /usr/bin/nand-sata-install since this is the tool of choice to avoid the complicated steps you went through.

For anyone else: If you want to run your OMV installation off a HDD on any of the supported ARM boards*, just do a 'sudo nand-sata-install' and you're done.

* known exceptions: Raspberries and ODROID-XU4/HC1 (on the latter you have to choose ext4 as target filesystem and exchange nand-sata-install first -- see description)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!