Error mounting sambashare

• Helo people,

I have OMV version 3.0.88, and I created a smb share, I can acces this share from my windows pc and my mac mini.
    now I have another Raspberry pi with raspbian and I want to mount the shared folder located on my OMV

and I enter this code:

Code
    pi@raspberrypi:/mnt $ sudo mount -t cifs //pinas.local/srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-ST1000LM024_HN-M101MBB_S2ZPJ9AF409434-part1/Shares /mnt/samba -o user=user,pass=pass
    Retrying with upper case share name
    mount error(6): No such device or address
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

when I login at OMV and I type mount:
    i see this:

I don't understand line 25 and 26

The shares folder is located here (OMV): /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-ST1000LM024_HN-M101MBB_S2ZPJ9AF409434-part1/Shares

As i mentioned before: the share is accesible from my mac computer and windows computer.

Does anyone know I to access my sambashare from my rasbian?

regards,

Ralph

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does anyone know I to access my sambashare from my rasbian

Use file manager>>>Network your shares should be there, if not install cifs-utils, that's all I did when I was trying out raspbian.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

• mount -t cifs //pinas.local/srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-ST1000LM024_HN-M101MBB_S2ZPJ9AF409434-part1/Shares /mnt/samba -o user=user,pass=pass

You try to use the local mountpoint on the OMV box using CIFS which simply can not work. You can check on the OMV server the share's name using the 'testparm' command, on the Raspbian box using 'smbclient -L pinas.local -U user' or check on macOS with 'df' after you mounted the CIFS share there. The CIFS URI will consist of a single path element like //pinas.local/samba for example.

• please revise remotemount-plugin to see if satisfize your needs:

Hi Raulfg,
    remote mount is not in my pluginlist, so I can't install it

You try to use the local mountpoint on the OMV box using CIFS which simply can not work. You can check on the OMV server the share's name using the 'testparm' command, on the Raspbian box using 'smbclient -L pinas.local -U user' or check on macOS with 'df' after you mounted the CIFS share there. The CIFS URI will consist of a single path element like //pinas.local/samba for example.

Thanks man that worked:

I use this command now
    sudo mount //10.0.1.23/Shares/Muziek /mnt/samba/ -o username=user,password=password
    and I see the files @ /mnt/samba

thanks a lot! :thumbup:

• sudo mount //10.0.1.23/Shares/Muziek /mnt/samba/ -o username=user,password=password

So this is stuff you could now add to /etc/fstab to make this persistent (check /etc/mtab on the Raspberry and add the nofail flag in any case!). If it's just enabling the connection on demand @geaves is right and this should work from the normal Raspbian GUI. But there exist countless reports that such 'GUI mounts' -- at least when relying on Gnome Virtual File System (gvfs) with version prior to 3.0 -- result in a severe CIFS performance drop. On the other hand Raspberries are that bottlenecked by their slow network that it should be irrelevant here anyway. And 'Muziek' sounds like bandwidth requirements are below 1 MB/s anyway :)

• ohhhh boy

I add a line in /etc/mtab and restarted the pi and now my root account is locked, see attached file.
    it doesn't mater how many times I press enter, it keeps saying the same.
    I googled it and most users who had this problem where able to login in the shell, i can't

when I enter my SD card into my mac, I see only the image with the overlay folder etc, so that doesn't help. I use berryboot btw.

does anyone had a idea how to fix this?

• does anyone had a idea how to fix this?

If it's really related to your fstab modification (/etc/mtab isn't adjustable) the most simply approach is to use a Linux system (your OMV Raspberry for example), an USB card reader, the card mounted there and reverting the change.

If you don't have such an USB card reader but your Mac is a MacBook check for an SD card slot (they were equipped with such a thing a few years, IIRC it stopped in 2016). If there's an SD card slot you could use VirtualBox with the card reader mapped to Linux and any 'rescue Linux' distro to do this.

It might be possible to access ext4 partitions directly on macOS (do a web search for 'fuse ext4 mac') but at least I have no experiences whether it really works.

• If it's really related to your fstab modification (/etc/mtab isn't adjustable) the most simply approach is to use a Linux system (your OMV Raspberry for example), an USB card reader, the card mounted there and reverting the change.
    If you don't have such an USB card reader but your Mac is a MacBook check for an SD card slot (they were equipped with such a thing a few years, IIRC it stopped in 2016). If there's an SD card slot you could use VirtualBox with the card reader mapped to Linux and any 'rescue Linux' distro to do this.

It might be possible to access ext4 partitions directly on macOS (do a web search for 'fuse ext4 mac') but at least I have no experiences whether it really works.

well that got my heart raised :S
    I had a other raspian image, I booted that and entered my "bad" sd card in a usb card reader and inserted that in my pi.
    I opened the file explorer and searched for my usb storage.
    go to /etc
    open that folder in terminal (right mouse button on etc)
    sudo nano fstab
    and removed that bad line (you were right it was the fstab)
    Booted again and it all works.

well listen kids: don't ever just copy/paste lines in fstab if you (like me) don't know what your doing :P
    Tomorrow I'll make a study about how to use the fstab.

@tkaiser thanks a lot you're a big help :thumbup:
    thanks man

• I had a other raspian image, I booted that and entered my "bad" sd card in a usb card reader and inserted that in my pi.

If you're already there think about cloning your SD card now (just like HDDs they'll all die so preparing for this is always a good idea): https://forum.armbian.com/inde…findComment&comment=21126

• I found a real nice article about how to clone your SD card with a mac: link

O no, this is just a compilation how NOT to do it. :(

• Using dd is always wrong
    • using /dev/diskX instead of /dev/rdiskX is always wrong
    • 'formatting' a card in any way when it will be completely overwritten in the next step is always wrong since just a waste of time
    • when playing with dd not using at least 'bs=1m' is always wrong (takes ages for nothing since reading only 512 byte at a time)

Better variant:

• To read an SD card use ddrescue, this tool cares about your data unlike dd! On a Mac get homebrew, do a 'brew install ddrescue' and from then on 'sudo ddrescue /dev/rdisk2 yourimage.img'
    • Use SD association's 'SD formatter' not to 'format' the card (useless anyway) but to perform the equivalent of a TRIM operation (ERASE CMD38, choose 'full erase')
    • Never write an image with dd but use Etcher instead (since it cares about your data unlike dd!)
  • Ill install homebrew end ddrescue

It's a matter of minutes, ddrescue will tell you if there is any reading trouble and performance is also great. The card reader in my MacBook writes/reads with up to 80MB/s and ddrescue on average reads with ~40MB/s (though different story since the card reader is passed through to a Linux virtual machine that checks the OS images directly after)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!