Upgrade from 3.0.88 to 4 - Any pitfalls?

• I am think of moving from 3.0.88 to 4, mostly due to wanting to run some things that require moving to Debain 9. I can't seem to find any guides and only one forum post noting issues when upgrading.

My my main concern is loosing data in a large 24 disk snapraid array. My disks are mounted in a mixture of /media and /srv (newer disks in /srv, but the snapraid array combines drives from both) Are there any known issues?

These days I run very few plugins and almost everything I run on my NAS is done through docker, but are 3.x plugins still compatible?

In fact if anybody has any useful info I would be very grateful to hear how it went. I am planning to simply take the omv-release-upgrade route.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't seem to find any guides

omv-release-upgrade is all you need. Just remember to backup your system before upgrading. It is moving from Debian 8.x to Debian 9.x. Not all upgrading issues are OMV-related. But, it seems to go better than the OMV 2.x -> 3.x upgrade since 3.x and 4.x are both using systemd.

Are there any known issues?

Hopefully you have your data backed up. I haven't had any experiences with data loss. Since you aren't using mdadm raid, that should really help.

but are 3.x plugins still compatible?

Some are but why would they need to be? 4.x repos are ready.

In fact if anybody has any useful info I would be very grateful to hear how it went.

I had issues with proftpd-mod-vroot. I had to specify to install the 0.9.4 version from the debian stretch repos since the 0.9.3 version was pinned higher in the omv repos. You might need to manually install omv-extras 4 as well. I haven't had much time to keep testing upgrades. Without knowing what plugins you use, it is hard to give more advice.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

the 4 Arrakis version is stable now ?

It is stable for me and there is very little difference between 3.0.88 and 4.0.5 right now.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Some are but why would they need to be? 4.x repos are ready.

I had issues with proftpd-mod-vroot. I had to specify to install the 0.9.4 version from the debian stretch repos since the 0.9.3 version was pinned higher in the omv repos. You might need to manually install omv-extras 4 as well. I haven't had much time to keep testing upgrades. Without knowing what plugins you use, it is hard to give more advice.

Thanks for the info. I was not aware that 4.x extras repos had been created. The specific plugins I am using are:

• openmediavault-apttool 3.4

• openmediavault-backup 3.6

• openmediavault-couchpotato 3.2.2

• openmediavault-fail2ban 1.3.1

• openmediavault-keyring 1.0

• openmediavault-omvextrasorg 3.4.26

• openmediavault-resetperms 3.3

• openmediavault-route 3.1.4

• openmediavault-rsnapshot 3.9

• openmediavault-sensors 3.0

• openmediavault-sickbeard 3.2.2

• openmediavault-snapraid 3.7.1

• openmediavault-symlinks 3.1.3

• openmediavault-unionfilesystems 3.1.17

Kan you indicate which are available/have issues on 4.x, that you know of?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The following from your list haven't been ported but the 3.x version may work on 4.x (I don't use them and haven't tried):

couchpotato
    fail2ban
    sensors
    sickbeard

Kan you indicate which are available/have issues on 4.x, that you know of?

Any issues I have had have been fixed by Volker. All but one (which will install the backports 4.12 kernel) are in the 4.0.5 release. Other than that, I am running 4.0.5 on all of my systems (2 physical and numerous virtual including my main file server).

• It is stable for me and there is very little difference between 3.0.88 and 4.0.5 right now.

Interesting discussion. Are there any big code changes planed for arrakis like it was with omv3 around version 3.0.13?

What about the zfs and the docker plugins? Are they already ported to arrakis?

Thanks and greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

Last time I talked with Volker, he said no big code changes planned.

The zfs and docker plugins are not in the repo yet. I dont use either so I’m not a good tester. Most of the 3.x plugins should work on 4.x unless the refer to php5 (omv 4.x uses php7). I will try to look at those plugins this weekend.

• Great, thank you for these informations. So it seems that omv4 gets faster stable than omv3...

Have a nice weekend!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

it seems that omv4 gets faster stable than omv3

Yep.

On another note, I just upgraded an RPi3 running OMV 3.x to 4.x with just omv-release-upgrade and it worked perfect other than having to rewrite nginx and php-fpm configs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What about the zfs

zfs is in the 4.x repo now. My tests seemed good but I don't normally use zfs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks. I'll test the ZFS plugin once my Ryzen is back from RMA.

docker plugin is there now as well.

• Wow, really good news. Thank you very much! @ryecoaaron

I am also going to test both plugins in the next couple of weeks.

Have a nice weekend!

• Hmmm. omv-release-upgrade leads me to

Code
    W: Failed to fetch https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/arrakis-ce-docker/dists/stretch/main/binary-amd64/Packages  HttpError404

Any hint how to solve?

BTW, great project, great forum, great support...!

HP Microserver Gen8 - 16GB RAM - 1x Dogfish 64GB SSD - 4x 3TB WD Red / ZFS raid1 - OMV 7.x bare metal - Docker - Synology DS214 with 2x 4TB WD Red for rsync backup

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is no arrakis-ce-docker repo (just arrakis-docker). just remove that repo or remove the ce- from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/omv-extras-org.list. I will have to fix that later.

• Thanks a bunch ryecoaaron, seems you've fixed it already...

Upgrade to arrakis went well and everything seems to work fine, only obstacle is an issue with
    enabling the docker ce repo in omvextrasorg 4.0.4.:

In the error message I was asked to upgrade to docker 3.1.9 firstly.

No show stopper at all for the time being...

HP Microserver Gen8 - 16GB RAM - 1x Dogfish 64GB SSD - 4x 3TB WD Red / ZFS raid1 - OMV 7.x bare metal - Docker - Synology DS214 with 2x 4TB WD Red for rsync backup

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von belierzz ()

• is there any iso available for 4.x? i am tinkering with OMV in virtualbox for the past few weeks and i might just do it with 4.x already

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID