Backup configuration

• Hello!

Is the only way of backup configuration to install Clonezilla??

Have a system running today With OMV 1.x and are setting up a New one With 3.x, do I have to set up everything manually like user, Groups, shared folders etc. Or is it a easier way??

Regards
    Kåre!

• Clonezialla does not back up the configuration. It creates an bit for bit image of the whole operating system that can be restored later if needed.

There are no configuration files that can be exported from one version of OMV and imported into a later version of OMV such that all settings, users, shares, etc. are recreated on the later version.

And the likelihood of having an in place upgrade from OMV 1.x to 2.x and then to 3.x actually succeed is very low. But it is something that can be tried so long as you understand that if (or when) it fails, the installation will be destroyed. Better have a full and verified to be restorable backup before trying this.

If all your 1.x settings are well documented, the best approach is to install 3.x from scratch and manually recreate all the settings, users and shares by hand.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• There is no way to backup the configuration (file systems, shared folders, plugins, etc.).

You can make a copy of /etc/openmediavault/config.xml to use for reference purposes but it can not be imported into a fresh install of OMV with the expectation that it will recreate everything the way that it was on the system it came from.

You can also take screen shots of your existing setup's numerous configuration screens to use as a guide.

But in the end you are almost certainly going to have to install OMV 3.x from scratch as a fresh install and configure it all by hand based on what you can glean from the old config.xml and those screenshots.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Sadly, having to configure the NAS from 0 every 3 years or so to get it up to date is tricky as far as I'm concerned.

The other solutions already implement this kind of functionality, I hope OMV will start implementing a backup and restore policy in the next versions, because in my view this and the lack of a simplified integration with AD / Samba4 are the only things I feel lacking in it.

• Yes tacioandrade I would opt for that functionality, too. However, it seems to be not that easy to accomplish and OMV seems to have tight developer ressources.

OpenMediaVault 6.x (most recent stable version) -- 64 bit -- OMV-Extras 6.x (most recent stable version) -- Default Kernel

• I stumbled over this post. Is there at least a way to quick reconfigure shared folders and windows permissions?
    This would help so much to save time after reinstalling

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!