Union Filesystems + OS Reinstall

• I have a system that has the primary OS on one hard drive than a storage pool using the Union File System, drives are in ext4. I cannot find documentation on the program and what the plan of action is when the system takes a poop and I need to reinstall the OS without losing data in the storage pool.

• You don't explicity say if the OS and pool are on separate drives or on the same drive. Which is it?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• A unionfilesystem storage pool only references the data drives and presents their contents as a virtual pool. It doesn't change the actual contents of the data drives in any way.

If you want documentation about UnionfileSystems on OMV 3.x, then read up on mergerfs which is the actual software mechanism used.

If you need to reinstall the OS, then best practice would be to disconnect the cables from the data drives, and reinstall the OS.

Then reboot to verify that the reinstall went as planned and it actually boots all the way.

Then shut the system down and reconnect the data drive cables.

Then boot up and reconfigure the system.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I've read a decent amount of the mergefs on github but I have not found anything referencing the reinstall. Am I blind and missing it?

You haven't found anything because there isn't anything relevant to find.

--

• If you reinstall the OS and after that you recreate the pool with unionfs, the union file system that will be created is going to be exactly the same as the one before the reinstalling.
    The only difference probably would be the absolute path of shared folders.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!