Seeking advice for upgrading fully encrypted 1.x OMV to 2.x / 3.x

    • OMV 1.0
    • Upgrade 1.x -> 2.x
    • Seeking advice for upgrading fully encrypted 1.x OMV to 2.x / 3.x

      I'd love to upgrade my old and dusted OMV server, but I'd like to ask for some advice first, because there's a huge issue that holds me back from tackling this:

      When I initially set up the server, I felt like a hero who knows everything - so I googled for a written guide that told me how to setup a full system encryption step by step. Yup.
      Needless to say, that I'm not the hero I thought I was and I can't even remember which guide I followed back then. Now I'm stuck with a fully encrypted and hopelessly outdated OMV server, that I'm afraid to touch, because I fear to lose access to my encrypted data.

      This is my setup:

      Source Code

      1. NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
      2. sdc 8:32 0 3,7T 0 disk
      3. └─4tbb (dm-4) 253:4 0 3,7T 0 crypt /media/5f75a906-xxx
      4. sdb 8:16 0 3,7T 0 disk
      5. └─4tba (dm-3) 253:3 0 3,7T 0 crypt /media/1821b061-xxx
      6. sda 8:0 0 28G 0 disk
      7. ├─sda1 8:1 0 243M 0 part /boot
      8. ├─sda2 8:2 0 1K 0 part
      9. └─sda5 8:5 0 27,7G 0 part
      10. └─sda5_crypt (dm-0) 253:0 0 27,7G 0 crypt
      11. ├─nas-root (dm-1) 253:1 0 26,6G 0 lvm /
      12. └─nas-swap_1 (dm-2) 253:2 0 1,2G 0 lvm [SWAP]
      Display All

      OMV on a small SSD (sda) and two HDDs for storage (sdb/sdc). No raid.
      If I remember correctly, I set it up with LUKS/LVM so that I have to unlock the system when it boots up, which then automatically decrypts both HDDs via key files stored somewhere on the encrypted partition on /sda and mounts them.

      I assume that the easiest and safest way to upgrade would be to backup all my data on external drives and simply start from scratch - this time without all these heroical mistakes. But that would mean I have to invest 200-300 bucks into new drives first, which I would really like to avoid, if possible.

      Now I'm sitting here - with feelings of shame - asking for your advice on how to tackle this.

      Should I - or is it even possible - to remove the encryption?
      Can I backup / clone my SSD (remotely via SSH?), try upgrading and revert back if it fails?

      Any advice is greatly appreciated.