Pinned Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose?

• l1nk206 wrote:

I'm still not sure on what amount of ram is better to have on
      On systems where network is faster than storage (eg. Raspberry Pi 3 B+ or more suited ARM boards with Gigabit Ethernet on an own bus but still only USB2) more DRAM always means higher 'NAS client --> server performance' since network transfers are fast as long as the amount of data written still fits inside filesystem buffers (page cache). So you have a board with Gigabit Ethernet, 4 GB DRAM but just USB2 storage and copy a 10 GB file... The first 3.x GB will be transferred at up to 100 MB/s and once OMV has to start to flush buffer contents to disk it will slow down to USB2 storage performance (slightly below 40 MB/s). With RPi 3 B+ it would be 'around 30 MB/s' vs. 'less than 20 MB/s' and the slowdown will happen already after ~750 MB or maybe even less.

On boards where storage is not the bottleneck (Rock64 with USB3 for example or some other ARM platforms) you don't need to worry about that. 1GB will be as fast as 4GB.

With ZFS a lot of RAM is a good idea (but you can run it also on system with less RAM but need to adjust some tunables then, mostly related again to filesystem buffers/caches). But ZFS on ARM is currently 'experts only' at least with OMV. The ZFS plugin is not available for ARM and building the necessary modules in an automated way is also challenging. So better forget about that.

Wrt plex server... no idea, only used that once to demonstrate how easy armhf software can be installed on an arm64 distro.

The post was edited 1 time, last by tkaiser ().

• tkaiser wrote:

OMV test/benchmark comparing 4 single board computers:
      You should put the cost of each board in that chart too :) The udoo x86 (I have one) costs more than the other three combined.
      omv 4.1.4 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.3
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

You should put the cost of each board in that chart too The udoo x86 (I have one) costs more than the other three combined.
      Yeah. But it's hard to beat Rock64 price/performance ratio anyway. The Rock64 board costs $25, $35 or $45 (1GB, 2GB or 4GB DRAM), then you need the 3A PSU for $7 and I strongly recommend to get also their 'SATA cable' for another $10 or this thing to attach even 2 HDD (beware that shipping, VAT, customs all have to be added)

BTW: Maybe the SATA cable used in the Rock64 benchmark above uses internally a Norelsys NS1068X SATA bridge. If that's the case that would explain the lower performance compared to the Udoo (or x86 in general) since we have to UAS blacklist the Norelsys NS1068X chip on all our OMV ARM images (UAS is broken with this chip, patch arrived in 4.14 kernel so in OMV we use USB quirks to disable UAS with older kernels). In case UAS can not be used performance suffers somehow but at least it works.
    • tkaiser wrote:

Yeah. But it's hard to beat Rock64 price/performance ratio anyway.
      That was my point. I didn't really expect you to change the chart :) The rock64 is an incredible board and the price would just exaggerate the ratio.

By the way, have you heard any news about a 3.5" rock64/popcorn hour transformer?
      omv 4.1.4 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.3
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

By the way, have you heard any news about a 3.5" rock64/popcorn hour transformer?
      Nothing heard so far (and the 2.5" transformer they sent me got stuck at customs and then returned).

Another very interesting RK3328 device, the SwiftBoard, that should be prepared for 3.5" doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Sad since also featuring a real capable wireless solution (dual band and dual antenna!)

There's another RK3328 board unfortunately with Micro USB for DC-IN (so I expect underpowering issues). Libre Computer who are behind the project did a very nice benchmark overview here: libre.computer/2018/03/21/rasp…-b-review-and-comparison/ (the ROC-RK3328-CC numbers more or less apply to Rock64 too but the latter has only DDR3 DRAM clocked at 1600 MHz so the ROC-RK3328-CC with DDR4 wins here but that's not important unless it's about 4K video display that needs an awful lot of memory bandwidth)
    • tkaiser wrote:

But I've to admit that I never measured consumption so far (and don't even find the board currently since mislayed somewhere recently).

tkaiser, now that you have found back the EspressoBin (I assume it's the 1GB variant?), could you update the ranking?

I would love to see how its power consumption compares to the HC1 in the "idle but with a 2.5 HDD connected in standby" scenario. I'd assume the SoC will consume significantly less, and also there's no overhead coming from the USB-SATA bridge. But the EspressoBin apparently _requires_ a 12V supply, and I don't know how much extra consumption that means (e.g. voltage regulators).

Anyone has "at the wall" espressoBin consumption figures, with a (sleeping) 2.5 disk attached to it?
    • Users Online 3

3 Guests