Pinned Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose?

• question, is the rock64 1GB sufficient for home use photos, home videos, and documents backup?

also, like mentioned by tkaiser above, micro usb power is prone to undervoltage, how can I prevent this with rock64? nvm, just rechecked and rock64 is using barrel type connector power supply so that's a plus already, isnt'?
    • indragm wrote:

is the rock64 1GB sufficient for home use photos, home videos, and documents backup?
      yes

indragm wrote:

so that's a plus already, isnt'?
      Yes
      omv 4.1.14 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Hi! My Rock64 just arrived and I'm waiting for this to arrive as well. I have a 3tb 3.5 WD external drive that I want to attach to one of the usb 2.0 on the rock64 and I'm planning on getting a 4tb wd red to use with the Hd622 usb 3.0 to sata adapter linked before. My 3tb drive is formatted in NTFS and I have read that is not advisible using windows files systems on a linux system so I need to format it. But the drive is almost full so I first need to transfer the data to the 4tb drive that I will be formatting in ext4.

My question is: what is the best way to transfer the data from the NTFS drive to the EXT4 drive?
    • Hello.

I'm new to OMV and have set my server on a Odroid XU4 with Pihole, NextCloud and Transmission plugins.
      Performance is great and way above what I was expecting.

Nevertheless, I'm always keen on experimenting.
      So I own a Voyo Vmac mini with an Intel N4200 and I'm wondering if that one would perform any better than the Odroid?
    • There is no should. Whatever works is OK. Most likely the most efficient way to copy the files would be if both HDDs are connected to the same Linux computer over SATA. But if you are not in a hurry then you can most likely do the transfer over the network or with one or both HDDs connected using USB. Even over USB 2.

Linux computers can read and write windows filesystems. But it is much more difficult for a windows computer to read a Linux file system. It is like the Americans or British speaking a second language or not...

But using a Linux file system on a Linux computer is much faster than using a windows file system.
      OMV 4, 5 x ODROID HC2, 2 x 12TB, 2 x 8 TB, 1 x 500 GB SSD, GbE, WiFi mesh
    • Adoby wrote:

There is no should. Whatever works is OK. Most likely the most efficient way to copy the files would be if both HDDs are connected to the same Linux computer over SATA. But if you are not in a hurry then you can most likely do the transfer over the network or with one or both HDDs connected using USB. Even over USB 2.

Linux computers can read and write windows filesystems. But it is much more difficult for a windows computer to read a Linux file system. It is like the Americans or British speaking a second language or not...

But using a Linux file system on a Linux computer is much faster than using a windows file system.
      If speed is the only issue that means I don't really need to change the file system because that drive is going to be attached to a USB 2.0 port so that is going to be the bottleneck anyway. At least with the NTFS I have the flexibility to unplug the drive and use it with a windows machine if I need to. I was worried that the files could get corrupted if used with linux.
    • FabrizioMaurizio wrote:

If speed is the only issue
      Speed isn't the only issue. Permissions can be an issue as well especially if you are using the drive for a service.

FabrizioMaurizio wrote:

I have the flexibility to unplug the drive and use it with a windows machine if I need to.
      I've never understood this need. Having a NAS means you shouldn't have to plug it in a Windows machine. But if your OMV system did fail, you could always boot a Linux rescue disk on the Windows box to access the files.
      omv 4.1.14 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • The plan was to use the wd red as the "main" drive that never gets unplugged and the wd elements as a "secondary" drive that I can carry around if I need to. But this is my first Nas so I don't really know what the best practices are. Anyway, if you say I can run into issues then I will use a linux file system and leave the drive in a fixed position.
    • Users Online 3

3 Guests