Mixed messages with Plex Media server

• I just installed OMV for the first time a couple of days ago. I am a Plexpass subscriber. The version of PMS that installed is 1.9.2.4285. It also tells me that an upgrade is available, and that it needs to be manually installed.

On the PMS page of OMV, I find the following directions...

Plex Pass
    Plex Pass members can follow these instructions to get the most recent Debian version of Plex Media Server.
    Click on this link to go to the Plex forum. Then click on Sign In in the upper right. Sign in with your UserID and Password.
    Once signed in click on this link. You are now in a Plex Pass only section of the forum.
    The 1st post contains links to the latest Debian 32 bit and 64 bit package of Plex Media Server. Download the appropriate package for your machine.
    Upgrading Plex Media Server Manually
    This will normally only have to be done by Plex Pass members upgrading to the latest packages.
    Command line: systemctl stop plexmediaserver
    Command line: cd /var/cache/apt/archives
    Command line: rm plex*.deb
    Now move the new package to this location /var/cache/apt/archives. While in the archives directory the best method is to use "wget downloadlink" from Plex forums.
    While on the post in the Plex forum where the package links are located right click on the 32 or 64 bit link. Then click on "Copy link address".
    In a Putty root session to your OMV: cd /var/cache/apt/archives
    Still in root session: wget(type a space after the wget then right click and paste the link. Hit ENTER and the package will download directly to this location.)
    Now install the package while still in archives directory: dpkg -i plex(hit TAB and then ENTER)
    After installation start PlexMediaServer: systemctl start plexmediaserver

Okay, good. So, in good faith I follow these directions. The version that I'm guided to is 1.3something, obviously much older than the version I'm running.

I try clicking on the "download now" link next to the posted version, and installing that manually, but I can't do that successfully, either.

Is there good, accurate, clear for newbie instructions that I can follow to get PMS updated to the latest release? I'm trying to use Plex as my DVR, and so far it's junk. I'm really hoping that the latest version of PMS will make it closer to reliable.

• Ignore those directions within OMV. They are badly obsolete.

You don't say what version of OMV you are running, and it makes a difference, so post back with that information and someone will reply with instructions.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I now see that you are running on an ARM CPU. I am not sure what the availability of PMS packages for that platform is currently. I seem to remember that support for that platform was either significantly behind mainstream or withdrawn entirely, and was a third party effort - not officially supported by Plex.tv.

I therefore must defer to those who are more knowledgeable about this.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!