Cant connect to wifi. first time with RAspberryPI

• Hello. I've just recently bought my first raspberry pi and im trying to make it run OMV.
    But i cant for the love of god figure out how to set it up. Im a total noob at linux and im probably just overlooked some real basic stupid shit, but ive been googling this for 3 days straight now.

I'm going to try to explain exactly where i am stuck to the best of my ability:

What ive done so far:
    -connected the Raspberry pi to screen with hdmi. connected both usb mouse and keyboard. They all work.
    -burned OMV image to 32gb sd card with Etcher.
    -managed to turn on the raspberry
    -Logged in first as "admin" with passwork "openmediavault"
    -there was a second login and i typed username "root" and password "openmediavault"
    -tried loads of different tutorials, but couldnt get them to work

if ive understood this correctly, all i need is to connect the raspberry pi to wifi and then i can set it up using a web browser, right?
    how do i do this. posting a picture of the console screen im currently in.

• Hi

Code
    nano /etc/network/interfaces

and

and reboot

• What says ifconfig?

Ive attached a photo. note: this was after i updated the etc/network/interfaces thing. Ive attached a photo of it. I have no clue what im doing here. as mentioned earlier, I am a total noob at this. Idk if it's relevant, but i had an ethernet cable connected to it for a while. tried using putty to use laptop screen and keyboard. also didnt work.

Ive als attached the etc/network/interfaces script. I have no clue if ive done it correctly. i dont know how to console.

• Hi

Code
    nano /etc/network/interfaces

and

and reboot

I think i did this. I rebooted but i dont think it worked. I logged onto my router and the Pi is not listed as connected device.

• iI've just recently bought my first raspberry pi and im trying to make it run OMV.

Bad choice but anyway... please stop wasting your time dealing with anachronistic configuration attempts since all you need is to call 'nmtui' (or 'nmtui-connect $WIFI' if you try to connect to a 'hidden' network).

im not sure what you mean by "bad choice". Is raspberry pi 3 not any good?

anyways, I formatted my sd card again and burned the image once again (with etcher). I tried typing nmtui-connect, but i get an error message saying: "nmtui:ERROR:nmt-newt-listbox.c:333:update_active_internal: assertion failed: (priv->active >0 && priv->active <priv->entried->len)"

the entire background went blue aswell. reminds me of the windows bluescreen lol.

any idea what it means?

• Is raspberry pi 3 not any good?

Not for OMV, not for anything related to storage, not for anything related to networking. It's most probably the worst device you can use as NAS as already explained in the link above: Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose?

Wrt your error message: I heard this once already: https://forum.armbian.com/inde…findComment&comment=27352 (there a user already fiddled around in the interfaces file and all problems were gone once removing any wlan0 entries in the interfaces file and trying again).

Since in my personal opinion the RPi 3 Wi-Fi is too slow anyway (under best conditions you get maybe 4MB/s) I would better use Ethernet instead (still slow as hell but usually at least 3 times faster than RPi 3 onboard Wi-Fi, in case you live in a city -- crowded 2.4GHz band -- it might be much much more worse)

• I have indeed fiddled with the /etc/network/interfaces , but shoulndt all this be reset when i reburn the image?

anyways, i read the orginal interfaces file and found something called "sudo nmtui" which starts a graphic wifi thing, but it has no search or scan function it seems. I tried filling out the SSIP and the correct pw and such, but the same error message comes up when i press "activate a connection".

• If you burned the image again then yes, 'it should just work', personally tested by me with the image you use multiple times. Worked flawlessly with onboard Wi-Fi (just performance totally sucks) and various USB dongles as long as board powering is sufficient. That being said since Raspberries are prone to run in underpowering hassles and Wi-Fi is too slow to be of any use for OMV anyway if I were you I still would try to make use of Ethernet (and check output from 'raspimon' wrt underpowering problems)

• If you burned the image again then yes, 'it should just work', personally tested by me with the image you use multiple times. Worked flawlessly with onboard Wi-Fi (just performance totally sucks) and various USB dongles as long as board powering is sufficient. That being said since Raspberries are prone to run in underpowering hassles and Wi-Fi is too slow to be of any use for OMV anyway if I were you I still would try to make use of Ethernet (and check output from 'raspimon' wrt underpowering problems)

Hmm. that is weird. I've tried the nmtui multiple times now. I deleted the entire scripts in /etc/network/interfaces and the wpa_supplicant.conf file. If i didnt, i would get the error message. It still doesnt connec tho. I dont know if ive configured the wi
    connection correctly tho. I left multiple fields unaltered. i have no clue what they are. As you can see the option to activate the wifi connection doenst even come up.

Ive tried putting in the ssid and psk manually aswell. I dont know much about writing code, but ive tried about 20 different scripts for wpa_supplicant.conf and /etc/network/interfaces.

The most basic guide i found on raspberrypi.org doesnt work either, the iwlist wlan0 scan doesnt work . i get en error message saying the interface doesnt support it(whatever that means)

. omv-firstaid doesnt work, it simply doenst find the wifi in te network configuration. Idk know what to try next.
    It doenst find the wifi adaptor in the configure-network-adaptors menu. Is it disabled or something?

• As already said: choosing a Raspberry Pi for OMV is a horrible choice (since NAS performance too low). Trying to use the onboard Wi-FI with OMV is close to bizarre (since WAY TOO SLOW being crappy single antenna 2.4GHz Wi-Fi with a real crappy mini aerial and no way to improve this).

I can't reproduce these issues, nmtui/Wi-Fi always worked for me and since onboard Wi-Fi is too slow anyway it could already be considered a 'feature' if you're not able to use wireless networking on your RPi 3 :)

• As already said: choosing a Raspberry Pi for OMV is a horrible choice (since NAS performance too low). Trying to use the onboard Wi-FI with OMV is close to bizarre (since WAY TOO SLOW being crappy single antenna 2.4GHz Wi-Fi with a real crappy mini aerial and no way to improve this).

I can't reproduce these issues, nmtui/Wi-Fi always worked for me and since onboard Wi-Fi is too slow anyway it could already be considered a 'feature' if you're not able to use wireless networking on your RPi 3 :)

Yes I understand that its not ideal, but it has become somewhat an obsession at this point. If it's supposed to work, i simply have to make it work. f***ing annoying tbh. If im not pleased with the wifi and such i will probably reconfigure it to a retropie or something. or connect it with a cable yes. but for now i just want to find out wtf im doing wrong.

• I bought the rp3 from dx.com. is that legit?

No idea. In my personal opinion all electronics devices that show more than a few mA consumption and are equipped with Micro USB for DC-IN shouldn't be bought. Raspberry Pi Achilles Heel is underpowering, this is now known since 2012 but instead of fixing it those RPi people simply implemented a lot of workarounds to masquerade the real problem.

Also in my personal opinion supporting such poorly designed devices is just a waste of time (though as already suggested providing the output from 'raspimon' and 'armbianmonitor -u' when connecting this thing to Ethernet could help people willing to look into).

Further readings:

I you're still interested in Wi-Fi functionality I would grab a Raspbian desktop image and try it there.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!