New OMV: is raid 1 worth it?

• Hi all,

I have an old Dell Optiplex 330 which I would like to use as NAS for my home network to store files.
    It has an Intel Core 2 Duo cpu, 2GB ram available, and I used the stock 160GB sata2 hd as system disk.
    I added an Asmedia ASM1062 PCIe 2xsata 3.0 to add 2 6Gb ports for data disks. This controller has been correctly recognized by the system.
    My plan would be to connect a couple of 4TB disks in raid 1 to store data safely.
    I have experience with Linux. Not with Linux raid. I know this is software raid.

I would like to understand better how it works. In case one of the disks fails do the data remain available and readable from the other disk even before the failed disk is replaced and the raid rebuilt? I mean, could I safely copy the data from the good disk before the raid is repaired?
    Or is the raid 1 supposed to work always with 2 disks (in this case) so the data will not be accessible until the failed disk has been changed?

I understood the rebuilding of the raid 1 is not just swapping a new disk inside the nas but requires to create a "degraded mode" array, so it is basically a manual operation. Is this correct?

Would an real hardware raid controller avoid this process? Does anybody know if such controller exist at a reasonable price? Would it be worth to pay extra money for this?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

• One common suggestion is to not use RAID, but to use the rsnapshot plugin to make snapshots of the data on a second disk.

This is something I thought. Glad to know there is a plugin to do this.
    I will look for the post you suggested.

Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!