where can I find info on the current stable release and ...

• I have tried various searches and looked in various threads and webpages, but I cannot seem to find any information on what is the current stable release iso and what is beta releases.

I have also been watching a review (of a 3.x release which was supposedly shortly before 3.x went stable) which suggested there were issues with connecting to an existing NFS share from the user panel and having it available there. Has this been resolved?

Finally, I want to virtualise this on ESXi (which is where a test system I have installed is currently residing). I am proposing to add an LSI RAID card and set it all as a ESXi datastore to be assigned to the OMV, but just wanted to make sure that there was nothing that would bite me like there is with freeNAS which requires direct drive access for all its zfs stuff. I am assuming if I use zfs with OVM I would have the same issues, but I was proposing to use an ext4 drive format - well, within the context of the VM anyway. Anyone have any advise or otherwise. This is to be used as a periodic backup of my existing freeNAS server which I plan to sync (probably) using rsync.

Any observations on this would be welcome, but please bear in mind I do understand the difference between redundancy and backup. I currently keep a rotated off site backup which I will continue to do. Depending on how good this is, I might make this my primary storage service and relegate the freeNAS to the backup role, not yet decided, so I want to make sure I get something which is stable and flexible. It needs to be able to serve windows clients as well as acting as an archive repository for my ESXi datastores (so must be able to also deliver NFS efficiently).

One final thought, I cannot find any way of using Active Directory (or LDAP - [edit: now found the LDAP plugin, so that is an option ...]) to provide user authentication. Have I missed something?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von chc-pr () aus folgendem Grund: partial answer to own Q

• Too much stuff to answer so just wrt 'recommended OMV version' and some quick thoughts on ZFS vs. RAID.

These are the main dev's words: omv 4?

ZFS on top of a hardware RAID or even mdraid is both possible and not 'ideal' for reasons you most probably already know. The idea behind RAID is availability and avoiding SPoFs. A hardware RAID controller is exactly such a single point of failure and how much availability is affected you'll know once this piece of hardware has died or much much worse starts to die slowly. With a RAIDZ the idea is to implement all the stuff needed in software so all you need once your host dies is another hardware box with the necessary count of disk connectors (need not to be of the same type or performance class)

That being said you can create a hardware RAID on something directly supported by ESX, use it as a datastore and present it to your OMV VM just as a single block device. If I would do so I would then never put ext4 on it but btrfs or in your case ZFS of course (and also would do a zfs send|receive instead of rsync -- but maybe that's just me). But after dealing with failed/failing RAID now for two decades I would most probably try to avoid such a scenario. And no, I also would refrain from trying to use device passthrough with ESX and then play RAIDZ2 at ehe OMV layer with raw disk devices since keeping it simple is another important principle.

In other words: just some thoughts and of course no recommendation since too much dependant on use case and your very personal knowledge and skills level :)

BTW: For various reasons in the meantime we phase out RAID6 and RAIDZ2 where possible since disks are that cheap that more suitable setups became affordable: http://jrs-s.net/2015/02/06/zf…e-mirror-vdevs-not-raidz/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!