Help to create my new NAS

• Hi team,
    I would like to build a small NAS without spending large numbers, with perhaps used pieces on ebay.

The purpose of this NAS is:
    - Transmission
    - Samba (2 users)
    - Plex (with decoding)

and little else, for home use in short.
    For the time being, they do not want to implement a RAID.

I was thinking of a mini ITX motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo processor, too? too little? Just a Celeron?

I currently have a Qnap TS-212P and I have built a few NASI-based N270 mini-itx home appliances for a few days to test the new OMV3.0.88 system.

I want to remove everything and make it one as above!

From Italy :):)

My NAS: CM Elite 110, Asus P8H77-I, Intel I5 2330, 4GB ram, 1x 4TB HD WDRed, 1x 1TB HD Seagate.
    With: Plex, Transmission, SMB, FTP, USBBackup

• - Plex (with decoding)

What do you mean by that? I guess you mean transcoding. If yes than I would use at least an i3-CPU because hardware-transcoding (via GPU) is just in the beginning under Plex.
    Also under OMV v3/Debian 8 is hardware-transcoding a thing quite hard to do. In the german kodinerds-Forum there's a thread about hardware-transcoding with TVHeadend (under OMV v3) and the result is, that the picture quality is average. You have to install the experimental intel drivers and further packages which are not up-to-date under Debian Jessie.

So my suggestion is to buy a used i3 (Haswell or higher) in case you want to do more than 2 1080p-transcoded-streams under Plex.

If you don't need transcoding only streaming than any Intel Celeron system (J3160, J3455, J4205) will do.

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Yep, I meant transcoding!
    Does the I3 have native transcoding support with Plex or anyway I have to get rid of it?

My NAS: CM Elite 110, Asus P8H77-I, Intel I5 2330, 4GB ram, 1x 4TB HD WDRed, 1x 1TB HD Seagate.

• Just have a look at the Plex Forum here. Hardware-Transcoding is just at the beginning of PMS.
    Believe me, I've built/changed a lot of parts at home because of PMS. Now I use an i5-CPU (see sig.) and don't face any problems. Even I don't need it but it's like a car with 70 or 200 horse powers. Sometimes it's good to have a little bit more under the hood.
    Go the i3-way and be happy with it. Even it costs a little bit more but you won't regret it.

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• I got a I7 for my pc and my current I5 will use it for the NAS and i purchasing a MB mini-ITX.

As a case I thought of a CM Elite 110.

Meanwhile, before dealing with this expense, I will sell the Qnap and will do everything on the Atom with OMV3.0 :)

Thanks for your advice :)

• Good idea. Test the atom system und will see how good this system is ;)
    The case is a different matter. In my case I needed a small case because the server is hidden behind a wardrobe and the high didn't matter. So I've bought a Fractal Design mini which is soundproofed. So I could go the cheaper micro-ATX-route.
    But as I said a case is a matter of taste and space.

• Plus, since there are, I will install Home Assistant (my home automation system) on NAS with Atom, and on Raspberry I will install Kodi, so avoid the Plex transcription and the ps4 will use it only to play

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!