Virtalbox Problems: Can*t start VM

• Hello,

I have problems with starting a created virtual maschine in VirtualBox. I always get the following error:

I was searching through the web but I didn*t find a fix. Hopefully someone can help.

thx

• Offizieller Beitrag

The kernel shouldn't be the problem. Looks at the log file in the VM's folder to see if there is anything helpful there.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• thanks,

sorry for my questions, but i'm a noob in the linux world. I was trying to find the logs (as i found out it should be normally under: $HOME/VirtualBox VMs/{machinename}/Logs), but in my home directory there is no virutalBox folder, also searched in the var/log folder, there are nor VB logs,

I found a folder under /usr/lib/virtualbox but there are also no logs saved...

I found the folder for the VM specific Log file, but there are no log files available. I think the error happens bevor VirtualBox can build the VM. (Screenshot 1)

Then I checked where are VBox files in general, and it says that there should be logs in var/lib/vbox/.config, but as you can see via WinSCP (login as root) there are no files in it (see screenshot 2)

Where do I finde the VirtualBox folder?

• I found a Logs-directory within the directory where my VMs are stored.
    <Path2VM-location>\<VM>\Logs

regards
    Erik

Auch das geht vorbei ...

• Hi Pfeifenraucher, danke für deine Hilfe.

Genau den Pfad habe ich auch gefunden, sofern du den pfad meinst wo auch die VMs gespreichert sind. Allerdings wurden da keine Logs gespreichert, da meiner Theorie nach, noch gar keine VM angelegt ist. Ich habe Virtualbox frisch installiert, generiere eine Test VM und wenn ich auf Start/Run klicke kommt sofort der fehler, ich kann weder das Iso installierten noch irgendwas anderes machen. Die Fehlermeldung kommt sofort, bevor irgendwas ausgeführt wird.

Englisch:

Hi Pfeifenraucher,
    I think I also found this path, it's where the VMs are physicly stored, but there are no logs saved. I think it's because I got this error before VirtualBox can run or create the VM. I installed Virtualbox, then I started to configurate a new VM, then when I first try to run the VM to install the OS, I received the error.

• Does user vbox /grp vboxusers have enough rights to store? Just2guess ...

Auch das geht vorbei ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Where do I finde the VirtualBox folder?

The logs should be in the shared folder that you specify for storing the virtual machine. I don't know what you selected so I can't tell you where they are.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I already looked there but unfortunately there are not logs saved ( the path in picture one is the one you mean, isn’t it?)

As Pfeifenraucher mentioned the path should be:
    stored.
    <Path2VM-location>\<VM>\Logs

But there are not logs. What else can I do? I also tried to reinstall VirtualBox.

The logs should be in the shared folder that you specify for storing the virtual machine. I don't know what you selected so I can't tell you where they are

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure what the problem is. I haven't used virtualbox in a long time other than to just test the plugin.

• Ok, damn it, but it also has nothing to do with kernel 4.9, I read that there were some probs if you are using the newer kernel instead of 4.8...

And I’m to stupid to interprete the error in the first post over all. Do you know what the error means?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The error looks life virtualbox segfaulted. The error doesn't give enough info to really tell why.

I don't think it is permissions. have you tried creating other VMs? If so, do they all crash?

• Yes I have tried different VMs with different configurations and also tried different storage directories for the VMs.

Are there any other ways to create VMs on OMV, if I can't fix VirtualBox?

Whats very strange is, that there are no logs saved unter the VM Folder. Do you know in which path VirtualBox is installed, perhaps there are the logs? unter var/logs I can't also find no log files for VirtualBox

Could this be a error from phpVirtualBox and not from Vbox? Because Vbox don't create any logs? Perhaps phpVirtualBox produced this error before VBox does anything. Do you know where phpVirtualBox is located that I can check the logs? And ist there a manuel/instruction how to reinstall phpVirtualbox again?

Thanks in advance
    Christian

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von capone1423 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are there any other ways to create VMs on OMV, if I can't fix VirtualBox?

Sure. OMV is Debian. Most things that work on Debian work on OMV. Are they easy? no. I use OMV on VMware ESXi. So, I'm not creating VMs in OMV.

Have you tried removing the plugin and virtualbox and starting over?

• ok, how can i remove the plugin phpVirtualbox? just with uninstalling Vbox from the omv-extra extensions or do I have to remove it manually?

I choosed Vbox because I need a GUI, only creating and administration via console is to hard for me..

• Offizieller Beitrag

ok, how can i remove the plugin phpVirtualbox? just with uninstalling Vbox from the omv-extra extensions or do I have to remove it manually?

Uninstall the plugin from the plugin tab. It will uninstall the right things.

I choosed Vbox because I need a GUI, only creating and administration via console is to hard for me..

VMware ESXi has a web interface to create VMs.

• I tried also this:

Uninstall the plugin and virtualbox
    delete the vbox user
    delete /etc/default/openmediavault-virtualbox and /etc/default/virtualbox
    Reboot
    Reinstall

this also don*t work.

Then I get always this error while logging in.

"This version of phpVirtualBox (5.0-5) is incompatible with VirtualBox 5.1.26_Debian. You probably need to download the latest phpVirtualBox 5.1-x.
    See the Versioning section below the file list in the link for more information"

Could this maybe cause this error. I'm pretty shure that the error has more to do with PHPVirtualBox than with VBox itself.

Do you think a complete Reinstall of OMV make sense? How can I ensure that I will all files an configurations back after reinstalling. But this should be the last option.

I could cry, why is this not working!!!!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

This version of phpVirtualBox (5.0-5) is incompatible with VirtualBox 5.1.26_Debian. You probably need to download the latest phpVirtualBox 5.1-x.
    See the Versioning section below the file list in the link for more information"

This is just a warning. There is no phpvirtualbox 5.1.

Could this maybe cause this error. I'm pretty shure that the error has more to do with PHPVirtualBox than with VBox itself.

I haven't seen an error creating a VM in my tests and I have never seen a VM terminate unexpectedly.

Do you think a complete Reinstall of OMV make sense?

Sure. I would also check the memory and make sure the storage isn't bad.

How can I ensure that I will all files an configurations back after reinstalling.

Your data will still be there but no configs will. You will need to reconfigure everything.

I could cry, why is this not working

No idea. I can't replicate this. Did you look through all the logs not just virtualbox logs?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!