ARM board maybe for 4K playback and web browsing

• I didn't know where to ask, so point me to forum where I can, or just answer my question, please:
    I have tried Raspberry Pi 3 with Ubuntu Mate if I could be happy with it as some kind of Media board / device for my TV. But I'm not happy. I'll give try to to Raspbian as well.
    I know there are bit more powerful boards out there even capable 4K payback.
    So my question is - which "low-budget"/"low-power" board would mede me happy enough for 4K playback, you tube 1080 playback f.e., and browsing - about max 10 web pages?

I considering ASUS Tinker board but support? Is it good enough?
    Other alternative or actually prior to it is Rock64 as it seems to have better support? And 2GB is enough? I guess I would go for 4GB because web browsing... 2GB is enough I guess based on 4K playback on Tinker board which has 2GB...?

• Hmm... somewhat off-topic here...

Honest Tinkerboard review by one of the guys who made the software work: https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/forum/29-reviews/ (it's a bizarre fail but as soon as you replace heatsink and build an own PSU solution you might be lucky with it in the future since Rockchip's offerings wrt mediaplayer usage look promising and community is also quite active)

Wrt media playback I've to admit that I'm not much into details but the general problem is that every SoC vendor has his own video engine that needs own software libraries to get HW accelerated video decoding working. These libraries differ for Android and Linux and while there might be support for stand-alone video players you simply can forget about this working in any browser on Linux (watching youtube contents requires hacks like smtube/smplayer. So a 'dual device' strategy might be an option (use one SBC with Android for mediaplayer stuff and another one with Linux for OMV -- but there exist RealTek TV boxed based on RTD1295 or RTD1296 that run on Android and execute an 'embedded OpenWRT/LEDE' for NAS functionality)

If I were you I would also ask in Hardkernel/ODROID forum (great community but as usual vendor communities tend to create small vendor focused 'realities')

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could also buy a firetv ($70) and sideload Kodi and a browser of your choice on it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can find many arm boxes now shipped with amlogic s905x which is capable of hecv and vp9 playback at 4k, with also hdr.
    If you install libreelec you can watch YouTube using an addon.
    The problem comes with web browsing, as I understand only the x86 images of libreelec can run chromium as it depends in Xorg.
    If you don’t mind android you can always use the default os that comes with the box then you should have web browsing.

I personally have a beelink mini MXII III and mecool KI PRO (dual sat and dvb-t tuner). Both works very well and play all 4k samples so far that I’ve thrown to them. I use them with libreelec as I don’t do web browsing.

• I had quick peak on youtube what is it about... So android... This reminds me question in my head from just yesterday... Cause I'm going to buy new TV in 2018 - is there TV able to play 4K and browsing web?
    BTW: I fancy android so I was thinking of TV with android on it?
    BTW: I have fairly new Samsung on which I can browse web but it is bit painful...
    Anyway I think if there is at least one TV with CPU fast enough, I would rather pick TV by picture quality. So I guess I would keep things separate.
    It is pretty powerful according to specs Fire TV... USB for my Logitech wireless keyboard - OK.
    So basically I would pay extra £20-£30 for mass solution but at least 100% working (if I compare it to ARM, but it is not comparable really.. newer-mind). I guess closes to this is lattepanda? With about the same price?. I'll do bit more research but I think ryecoaaron is suggesting som-way-best in this range.
    I wonder what else I can do with fire TV ;) ...
    Hmm... How much is it - 15W? I think I might be mistaken here.. Anyway if I run this 15W Fire TV 60hours max / week, it is nothing compared to my desktop which function as living room pc (about 115W true consumption).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wonder what else I can do with fire TV

The firetv os is android...

How much is it - 15W?

It might be 15W when it is decoding 4k but not any other time.

So basically I would pay extra £20-£30 for mass solution but at least 100% working (if I compare it to ARM, but it is not comparable really.. newer-mind

The firetv is an arm cpu. If you are considering buying a 4k android tv, the extra few dollars is very small. I have one and I still use a firetv.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm not person who just quickly buy, but always I do a lot of research...
    There is lot of TV boxes out there. I'm building big list to get better/clear understanding.
    Based on priorities, right now I'm looking for one with has best support by forum/community. I believe, if problem occurs, this will be the key to "survive" and be able to use device longer/later maybe?..

Would you recommend RK3328 Cortex-A53 or Amlogic S912 ARM Cortex-A53 based TV box? If possible to answer. Or it is just CPU which will compute anyway and that's it?
    Then options and specs I have to reconsidered... It looks like I'll be buying for couple more people, so worth a research and might end up with different boxes...

I need to do more research on cases - do I need TV box? which: "reasonably" use/supports google play store, supports chrome, possibly rooted?...

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!