My first NAS

• Tomorrow I will get a new 8TB HDD and I will try it with the card.

It's confirmed that 8TB drives work with this Marvell chip (and that's not that surprising if we keep in mind how the technology works and that SATA from the very beginning was able to deal with 128PiB due to... LBA48. And if there's any limit it is at 2 TiB and not above)

• Just to confirm: the card is indeed able to read 8TB drives. At the moment I have had 1 8TB drive attached to it for a few weeks and it's correctly listed in the physical disk tab and on the file systems tab.
    The only problem I had was that 2 times it suddenly stopped seeing the HDD (disappeard from the physical tab and unmonunted from the file system) but after a reboot it came back.

• I have been seeing the same issue with 4TB drive disappearing. I built an NAS from a Windows Machine AMD FX 8230, 16GB RAM GA-78LMT-USB3 v6 Mother Board and 2x1TB, 3x2TB, 1x4TB, 2x1TB USB and a 250GB(as boot) and 80GB (as TEMP), After reading online most of the post said that you should not use Windows 7 Ultimate as a NAS OS, so I decide to try different NAS software, first was Nas4Free, that was a nightmare because I have different size disk, Freenas was not any better with different size drives, but openmediavault did not care, as I installed each drive as a single share, no redundancy, so 1x1TB would be a share named after the computer it files it would hold, so that would be as example 1TB - Laptop, 1TB - Desktop, 2TB - Media Server, and so on. In this configuration if i lost a drive I would only lose the data on that drive only. Which brings me to my issue. the 1TB and 2TB drive work fine, but the 4TB or greater, get constant errors, like in filesystem when trying to add the 4TB always get communication error, if I do get the drive formatted and shared, it would keep disappearing, when that happens I cannot re-add the drive, I have to totally re-install and even then I would not be able to format the drive, I have to use another system to blank the disk and then try again.

I do not use this for media streaming or file sharing I just use it to backup my data. That is mostly why I do not care if the drive fails, because I just replace the drive and run the backup again. I only keep backups for 7 days anyway. And the likelihood of the backup drive and computer drive failing at the same time is astronomical. All the important stuff I need gets offloaded to a USB3 4TB drive which is then powered off and locked in a fireproof safe.

So enough rambling, I have reverted back to my window step up which has work flawlessly for 4 plus years, the openmediavault software has destroyed 1 4TB drive of mine, under warranty so waiting on replacement.

what is the issue with drive above 4TB?

It seems that my Windows setup handles 4TB and larger drive with out any issue and my Windows step does not panic when a drive fails, as openmediavault when a drive fails it is still listed in the filesystem as missing (referenced) and if you are lucky and can remove all references and delete the volume the system will not panic. If not and you can get to fstab and stop the drive from being mounted on startup and get all references removed your lucky again, otherwise you have to reinstall to fix the issue.

I think the software is not quite ready for prime time, if it cannot handle 4TB or greater drives you have a problem. Drive sizes are growing and harder to maintain.

So I ask again

what is the issue with drive above 4TB?

• I want to be nice and not be a problem, but your reply is ambiguous and misleading. I say this because this was a brand new WD40EZ 4TB drive, the 1TB and 2TB drive are nearly 4 years old, and they do not have any issue under openmediavault but the 4TB drive does . I placed it in the Windows Setup (brand new and off the self) and the drive worked fine. I then wipe the drive (WDDLG Util) and then added it to my newly build OpenMediaVault NAS server. The SATA cables I use are not cheap, I do not use bargain basement cables on server builds, I have been building server for over 35 years now and I know what works and what does not. And just a personal observation you should at least try to know your audience before you reply. Many factors go into determining how many mating cycles you will actually get with any connector or adapter and that is chosen by the MFG, and the MFG process (I am not stupid), I buy StarTech SATA cables as there MFG process has a higher standard and more rigid Quality check points.

So you address my question as "There is none" now my reply you may want to revisit that and check to see if you might have a slight bug, such as a driver bug, that may have a limitation to the size, geo, of a particular drive size say above 4TB. Most system have an issue with drives above 4TB or should I state that correctly, the technology of hard disk with MBR cannot exceed 2TB, at which point any thing over 2+ TB will not be recognized, Windows allow you to get away with this by allowing you to use it as a dynamic volume and in some cases extend it to the full capacity of the drive, or you could use a MFG format utility to get it to work with Windows as in my case I did. For Linux you can use GPT, and use EXT3 of EXT4, most Linux Distro can handle drives larger that 4TB, which again gets me back to the question at hand why does OpenMediaVault then have issue with drive greater that 4TB. I am only speaking from my situation as 1TB, 2TB and 3TB work fine for me, but 4TB, 6TB and 8TB drives consistently disappear and never come back in the software, I have tried many ways in which I have damaged a 4TB drive (because it was new I was able to RMA, it not a big deal) and I am not blaming you or the software for the drive damage, it could have been any or many factors of the things I did that could have lead to it being damaged, the drive just keep returning a code of 132 in the WDDIAG after I have tried several different partition formats to get the drive to been seen in the openmediavault software.

Hey please do not misunderstand I am not knocking the product, I like the product, I want to use the product and get my NAS setup correctly, but issue with drive over 4TB is a big issue, and if I am totally wrong and I doing something incorrectly then tell me, that is why I am here. If I thought the software was crap I would not be here on the forum asking question to get it to work I would just move on to something else.

• your reply is ambiguous and misleading

Try to learn to live with it. You had cable/contact issues. If that would have happened with one of your other disks you would not created the theory that OMV can not cope with 4GB (or whatever). OMV is not involved here at all (since if there would be real software issues it would be one layer below --> Linux kernel).

• Offizieller Beitrag

which again gets me back to the question at hand why does OpenMediaVault then have issue with drive greater that 4TB.

I have plenty of drives larger than 4TB and I have never had any issues. OMV definitely uses gpt so that is not the issue. As tkaiser said, this is either hardware and/or kernel stuff.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have plenty of drives larger than 4TB and I have never had any issues

Sure. There is nothing special above 2TB so if a 3TB drive works one with 128PB will work as well. The last real limitation (2TB) is long since gone (besides old crappy USB-to-SATA bridges that are also 32-bit limited): http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-4.html

• Offizieller Beitrag

All of my drives are larger than 2 TB (except os drive) and have been for a couple of years.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• it is not a cabling problem or a contact issue, I guess I am in the wrong place as i can see you do not want to help or are not open minded enough to help. I must have said something to offend someone. These are all basic checks you do when troubleshooting, and i believe I have extinguished all of them so i can here.

I will just go my marry way, and try some other software

Sorry to bother you can you please delete my account

Thank you have a nice day

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wasn't there recently an issue with WD drives when used with a certain kernel version (4.13 or so)? I think I have seen it on Ubuntu as well.

Edit:
    found it
    "Missing" RAID filesystem

• Offizieller Beitrag

it is not a cabling problem or a contact issue, I guess I am in the wrong place as i can see you do not want to help or are not open minded enough to help. I must have said something to offend someone. These are all basic checks you do when troubleshooting, and i believe I have extinguished all of them so i can here.

I will just go my marry way, and try some other software

You are taking this wrong way. People are giving you tips and you are just telling them that isn't it. All we are saying is that it isn't an OMV issue. It could be the drive, the motherboard, the cable, drives for any of these. Going to another linux distro is not going to magically solve this. You never say what version of OMV?? OMV 4.x has a very new kernel that might fix your problem if you aren't using it.

• I never stated it was OMV issue I asked what is the issue with drive above 4TB? in all of my replies I never stated it was OMV. However I did state there maybe a bug, something you might want to revisit, I did state that. I have tested the motherboard, cables drives, and I have even gotten the 4TB drive back for WD working in my old configuration, same motherboard GA-78LMT-USB3 V6 Latest BIOS Update, WD hard disk, 1x250gb, 2x1tb, 3x2tb, 1x4tb. Windows 7 ultimate running 6 shares, each dedicated to one computer on the network and that works flawlessly.

the version is 4.0.14 of OMV.

Since OVM installs with a linux distro, in which I have no option to change, if there is a kernel or driver issue then in all reality it is bug in OMV by association because it runs on top of the distro. With that said I can understand that it is not OMV's issue but that would be a problem of the owner of the distro (kernel or driver). Since I do not know the owner of the distro or if it is possible to update the kernel or driver. So at the same time I could be entirely wrong and it could just be a compatibly issue with the hardware in the distro version which is not supported by my motherboard or hardware.

Allot of what if's, that is why I said I will just go my marry way and I have. My Windows 7 NAS works flawlessly, I know I am doing it wrong but at this point I do not have another option, yet. Rather have something than nothing, at least if I have a hard disk crash I can recover.

Sorry if I sounded like a jerk did not mean it to appear that way, your have to remember I have put 75 to 80 hours into the project and all the results were disheartening, at best.

So I apologize and Thank you all for the suggestions, but at the time this is not a viable option for me because I cannot pin point what hardware or compatibility issue resides, and buying more hardware to figure it out is not in my grasp at this juncture.

• I never stated it was OMV issue I asked what is the issue with drive above 4TB?

There is none.

And this applies to everywhere (all OS these days except horribly outdated versions from at least a decade ago -- and please keep in mind that OMV is not an OS at all but just an application sitting on top of Debian which is sitting on top of Linux).

The last relevant disk size limitation is at 2TB (32-bit integer overflow) and that's it. If 3TB work, 128PB will work too (and 4TB of course as well). If there are problems with disks exceeding 2TB in size today the problem usually sits between disk and host (usually an old USB disk controller suffering from the 32-bit integer overflow mentioned before).

You had a problem with one single random disk (most probably cable/contacts related -- check SMART attribute 199 of the affected disk). The next time you run into problems when dealing with a disk a much better idea is to immediately ASK FOR HELP! In case of OMV opening up a thread asking how to proceed telling exactly the symptoms you're running into instead of wasting '75 to 80 hours' fiddling around with stuff that needs to take 1 hour maximum in total.)

This not only saves you from wasting your time but others too (those who now repeatedly tried to explain why your conclusions are wrong and especially those users who later stumble accross your claims getting confused and starting to believe in obscure limitations that still DO NOT EXIST. If the next user runs in a random problem with a random disk which is by accident larger than 3TB, then doing a search and stumbling accross your claims this user might also start to waste his time following weird theories instead of simply analyzing what's wrong with the disk or its connection to the host system)

BTW: These other users are the only reason why I post again in this thread.

• I never made any claims, I asked questions to pin point where to look. I did check the smart attribute and it passed no attribute 199 that what lead me to ask the question. I however did question if there was a bug, and I may not have been clear (I'll take that) but if the distro of Debian is not compatible with my hardware the most will assume is is with the application as you said (OMV is not an OS at all but just an application sitting on top of Debian which is sitting on top of Linux), my question was to separate the application from the OS. If the application uses the driver provide in the Debian on to of Linux, then that is where is need to look for the compatibility issue with my hardware. Since the Debian on to of Linux (so to speak) is installed in the OMV flavor, I just need to know if I can replace the underlying drivers without affecting the application.

And just a note as you stated (instead of wasting '75 to 80 hours' fiddling around with stuff that needs to take 1 hour maximum in total.) it take time to run smart testing and surface testing on a 4TB drive, average time for each test was approximate 2 day or 2880 minutes and I had to wait until the test completed to go to the next step. And for pointing finger you could have replied back asking me if I needed help or not, but you did not, look at your post you just blasted me 2 lines
    There is none.

(Check your cabling and SMART attribute 199 of the connected disk. If the
    CRC error counter increased you know what your problem is.
    Internal SATA cables/connectors are rated for 50 matings maximum and cheap stuff starts to die way earlier.)

Which lead me to run the Smart and Surface test, at no point did you offer any addition help and keep implying the probably was me (how I read your responses, which is why I made the statement (And just a personal observation you should at least try to know your audience before you reply)

Does not matter anyway, the Drive test Passed All test on the same controller and even on a different controller as well, I have moved on using the Windows 7 NAS and working fine.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!