Time to reinstall on raspbian ;)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Source Code

1. Web interface: - username = admin - password = openmediavault Console/SSH: - username = root - password = openmediavault
      login for SSH fails. Any ideas?

//Edit: Well....whould have read instructions on the download page:
      - SSH keys are regenerated on first boot but SSH login has to be enabled in web UI prior to usage: Services --> SSH --> Permit root login
    • Hi
      The 4.0 is still in beta for the learn would I times the 3er tend then you can still switch to the 4er
      forum-bpi.de Visit on and help us, The Germany Forum :thumbsup:
      github.com/Wolf2000Pi
      Banana Pi /Armbian 3.4.109 / Openmediavault 2.x
      Banana Pi /Armbian 4.11.5-sunxi / Openmediavault 3.0.xx (Test)
      Dell Inspiron One 2205 | Openmediavault 3.0.xx / Kernel 4.7 (Test)
    • ExRaspberry wrote:

Using etcher the firts time. What's its advantage?
      I have not used it, yet. But as far as I understood:
      • you can use the packed image directly and etcher will unpack it before writing it on the SD card
      • etcher checks if the writing of the image was successfull
      BananaPi - armbian - OMV4.x | Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - 1x Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV3.x 64bit
    • Wolf2000 wrote:

You have to unpack it first!
      No, the readme clearly states: 'Write the .img.xz image in a single step using Etcher etcher.io to SD card.'

ExRaspberry wrote:

Using etcher the firts time. What's its advantage?
      Unlike WinDiskImager or other primitive burning tools Etcher verifies what's written. Many failing SD cards are already detected at burning, most if not all at verify stage. An awful lot of support efforts around single board computers or SD cards in general are due to SD card crappiness and 'burning went wrong' (eg. card reader overheating on USB3 ports).

Etcher is the answer to this. Future improvements will hopefully include verification of download integrity (today possible only with version 2.0 or above and 'download catalogs') and I still hope they implement fake/counterfeit SD card checks.
      'OMV problems' with XU4 and Cloudshell 2? Nope, read this first. 'OMV problems' with Cloudshell 1? Nope, just Ohm's law or queue size.
    • The Etcher Tool is also not the green of the egg,
      had thereby also already problems, the primitive does not always have to be the bad.
      github.com/Wolf2000Pi
    • Hi ExRaspberry
      If the img. from Armbian you can upgrade to OMV4
      omv-release-upgrade
      But make a copy of the SD card first
      github.com/Wolf2000Pi
    • ExRaspberry wrote:

Didn't have any problems using Win32DiskImager the last years

You didn't notice any problems using Win32DiskImager the last years (and if you ran into SD card or USB thumb drive related problems you blamed software and not 'burning went wrong' as every other user does all the time). It's rather easy to understand why a tool that does not verify what it writes can write complete garbage or even nothing to an installation media.

The only reason why Etcher exists is SD card (writer) crappiness and users not able to accept this simple fact. But it gets boring to deal with ignorance all day long... so feel free/encouraged to use unreliable tools since wasting time with dubious problems is always a great idea...
      'OMV problems' with XU4 and Cloudshell 2? Nope, read this first. 'OMV problems' with Cloudshell 1? Nope, just Ohm's law or queue size.
    • Wolf2000 wrote:

Do you get from Etcher manufacturer commission, because you do so much advertising

Exactly! You're so smart! I get not just a small commission but 200% of everything the 'Etcher manufacturer' earns with this tool provided for free to anyone totally focused on avoiding all the stupid 'burning went wrong' hassles!

So please feel encouraged to promote the shitty tools that do not verify what they pretend to have written so it's ensured that many many more thousands of hours are wasted on stupid support efforts resulting just from SD card and USB thumb drive crappiness. You're my hero! Ignorance is bliss!
    • Does everyone feel the love in this thread? I mean, IRAQ seems friendly by comparison.

Maybe it's time for a sandbox TDY,, go play with some Det cord and C4,, and relax a little. :)
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.81 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup Server
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119
    • I successfully installed OMV 3 on my rPi 2 model b 4 days ago and played around with it for a while.
      Now that I know what I need, I wanted to do a clean install and that's when the troubles began.

On first attempt I had no right to do anything.. Including updating.
      Neither from the web control panel, nor from console logged in as root..

Second to every attempt after it simply doesn't boot.
      I've tried 20 different sd cards and 2 different pi's. Same result.
      Raspbian boots fine when installed..

This defies any kind of logic.. Has anyone ever encountered this before?
      And no. I can't provide any logs.. There is nothing to log for a system that refuses to boot.

And I have only used Etcher. Except for the latest attempt, where I decided to use Win32DiskImager. (That means, Etcher does not work in my case)

I would hate to give up.. It's not in my nature..
      I'm not a linux poweruser, but I'm not completely green.. And I decided to switch from a functioning plex installation to what looked like a, for my use, superior solution.
      And if this hadn't happened, I would never go back to what I had.. Better have something that works out of the box.
      Perseverance pays off.. sooner or later.. usually later..

much later..
    • hmpedersen wrote:

I don't see what's funny..
      You tell you would only use Etcher and at the same time 'Etcher does not work in my case' -- isn't that funny?

I tested the Raspberry Pi image many times.

Download from sourceforge.net/projects/openm…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/, checking MD5 or SHA1 hash, burn with Etcher (when Etcher is reporting errors I have to throw away SD cards since the reported error is not an 'Etcher error' but an indication for crappy hardware), be patient since I read the readme on the download page and after the RPi rebooted I use the image. Works. Always.

As reference the readme:

Source Code

1. - OMV installation will be dynamically finished on first boot which might
      2. take up to 15 minutes with slow SD card. Remain patient please!
      As reference: burning error (SD card --> trash)

• Could you try to re-read what I wrote?

There is one single reason why I added that - because when I ask for assistance, I'm used to being told to do exactly what I just explained, I've done.
      Which is exactly what you just did.

Etcher does not report a single error. It hasn't reported any errors.. Not even once.
      No errors during writing
      No errors during verify
      No errors
      Had there been any errors, it would be in my post.

I did actually discard the first sd card, which I regret seeing as that wasn't to blame.. But I'm not going through my trash to find it again.

The system simply does not boot. Power comes on, and I see a black screen.
      I let it sit for half an hour. No change.

much later..
    • hmpedersen wrote:

Which is exactly what you just did.
      That's because I am stupid. There is no other reason possible.

OMV_3_0_88_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.41.img.xz (SHA1: 93a76012a59ef09455b38a2ed238363c03fab19b, MD5: b18007156c92dedab53df4a0898d0400)

14,452 downloads since 2017-10-09 according to the download page. It must be clearly a problem with the image.
    • Did you also notice where I said, this defies all logic?
      And when did I call anyone stupid?

I've seen others complain about the hostility on the forums, but I still decided to ask because maybe others had experienced this, and might have tips on how to resolve it.. Clearly you do not fit that description...

I refuse to believe I have 20 (now 19) sd cards that are broken.. 15 of them brand new and only unpacked because of this..
      And if they were, then it would definitely be a problem with Etcher, seeing as it doesn't report any errors.

Now.. Do you have any useful tips that might help me, or do you know of anyone who could help me?
      But no matter what, I apologize for insulting you by asking for advise.. That was not my intention.

much later..
    • hmpedersen wrote:

Do you have any useful tips that might help me
      No, since Etcher 2.0 with OMV installation 'from online catalogue' (downloading and verify download integrity on the fly) does currently only exist on my desktop and that's macOS.

When this will be available users will also be enabled to complain about Etcher being broken when downloading images went wrong.