SMB share not working correcly with ricoh scanner (smb1\2\3 issue)

• I have a little problem with a stupid piece of junk of a printer\scanner of ricoh it should scan\save files into a omv's smb share...

After a lot of pain and frustration, I realized that it only works if I set the shared folder to allow guest, no matter if I create a user and password for the scanner and set it into the scanner too configuring smb service correctly, no matter what I do (I even tried a super insecure Permit everyone on the samba share) it only works if I set the share allow guest, not really the best option "security wise".

Googling around I found the problem resides in the fact that this stupid ricoh printer piece of shit works with the almighty smb1 protocol -.-, of course OMV uses smb3, so they don't act good togheter, so before going in other fix directions (like use the ftp instead of smb on the printer to share copies).

I was wondering is there a way to make a omv samba share retro compatible with smb1\2 protocol as well or is it impossible? To be honest I thought that was by design to work in retro compatibility, but apparently is not 8| or at least I don't understand why this piece of junk is not working correctly.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Wek () aus folgendem Grund: fixed mistakes

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was wondering is there a way to make a omv samba share retro compatible with smb1\2 protocol as well or is it impossible? To be honest I thought that was by design to work in retro compatibility, but apparently is not 8| or at least I don't understand why this piece of junk is not working correctly.

The SMB protocol is auto-negotiated, much like Ethernet speed and duplex, but that's in a perfect world and there are exceptions.

It's possible to set the protocol level but, since it may impact Win7 through 10 share access, (if it works) I'd consider setting up a share solely for the printer.

In SMB/CIFS, under the shares tab click on your share and "Edit". At the bottom of the settings box, there's a box for entering Extra Options. Put in the line: client max protocol = SMB2
    I'd try SMB2 first, to see if it works, before going to SMB1.

Good Luck

• Thank you @flmaxey for the tip! I will look into it and see if it works, before I throw this damn thing through the window :) thank you a bunch (of course I created just a folder share only for the scanner, so I hope will work with your trick!)

@donh yep I was thinking about it just as last resort, less service I have loaded much more I'm happier with and less hassle to mantain, but of course if it will not work I will go ftp style

I will report back as soon as I will reach the studio hoping for the best!

• Unfortunately @flmaxey your suggestion didn't work out, that stupid printer doesn't even let me use ftp for whatever reason, I just solved doing a samba share just for scanner giving it permission to everyone and it started to work, not the best solution, but at least it works that stupid piece of junk

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately @flmaxey your suggestion didn't work out, that stupid printer doesn't even let me use ftp for whatever reason, I just solved doing a samba share just for scanner giving it permission to everyone and it started to work, not the best solution, but at least it works that stupid piece of junk

I think the solution, isolating scanner output to a single dedicated share, is a decent work around.

If "Everyone" worked, it was probably a permissions issue versus the protocol level. Auto-negotiation of the SMB protocol level might have worked as it should.

For "Everyone" to work, and for the printer/scanner to deposit in a specified share, it might be using a user name. (Maybe "ricoh" or, perhaps, "anonymous" which would also work with FTP). The doc's for the scanner might tell you what the user name is and, (a remotely possible) how to assign that user a password. But, I tend to doubt it.

As recent experiences with Plex and Emby indicate, it seems that few take file / folder security seriously, to include many software developers and, in your case, hardware OEM's. This explains the epic level hacks of Equifax and others. As it seems, most are interested in convenience over security, at least until there's a breach...

• Totally agree with you @flmaxey about the poor security hopping around especially with those "OEM's hardware for Office" it's insane to overlook something so simple like make it work properly with a secure samba share, I mean how much difficult is it to make it the right way, instead like...just throw there some access and call the day -.-

Anyway I already went through the config of the printer back then the user was ricoh but didn't work, I also created a user and password for it on the server and use them on the printer, nothing worked the way it should...the best thing?! it worked only if you give the printer user and passowrd of admin or root privilege on the server, anything other user unprivileged is rejected 8| that's AWESOME || .

It is definitely something wrong on how the printer handle the user and password for the share internally, or how it sees the share permission (?!?!) but I can't see of course where it fails.

So basically, you must give to a piece of junk with a totally fucked up security policy, admin privilege...piece of cake...on the previous server the other "tech guy" did it this way enough said.
    I just suggest them to throw it away and look for something more serious, and more respectful of the final user, than this wonderful printer.

Out of topic, about equifax did you see john's oliver special on it? is hilarious :D

Thank's God we have nothing similar here in my country, but It's great to see how something so important is secured and managed so poorly...let alone the fact that massive security is something like a unicorn...but not even try is madness :°D

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Wek () aus folgendem Grund: user add equifax matter

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!