Can't reach WebGUI after update 3.x. SSH is working

• OMV 3.x
    • Resolved
    • Can't reach WebGUI after update 3.x. SSH is working

Hello Everyone,

First of all, a big appreciation and thanks to those who spend their free time to create and develop OMV!! :) :)

After the last update, I'm not able to reach the WebGUI and Nextcloud. But SSH is working. Therefore I checked the forum for similar problems and solutions, but I wasn't successful. I tried a few things.

apt-get clean

apt-get update

apt-get upgarde

service nginx status

Source Code

1. root@openmediavault:~# service nginx status
      2. ● nginx.service - LSB: starts the nginx web server
      3. Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/nginx)
      4. Active: active (exited) since Mo 2017-10-16 11:00:43 CEST; 3min 55s ago
      5. Process: 599 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/nginx start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

And service openmediavault-engined status...which had a warning

Source Code

1. root@openmediavault:~# service openmediavault-engined status
      2. ● openmediavault-engined.service
      3. Loaded: masked (/dev/null)
      4. Active: inactive (dead)
      5. Warning: Unit file changed on disk, 'systemctl daemon-reload' recommended.
      6. root@openmediavault:~# systemctl daemon-reload
      7. root@openmediavault:~# service openmediavault-engined status
      8. ● openmediavault-engined.service
      9. Loaded: masked (/dev/null)
      10. Active: inactive (dead)
      11. root@openmediavault:~# service openmediavault-engined start
      12. Failed to start openmediavault-engined.service: Unit openmediavault-engined.serv ice is masked.
      13. root@openmediavault:~# sudo systemctl unmask openmediavault-engined.service
      14. Removed symlink /etc/systemd/system/openmediavault-engined.service.
      15. root@openmediavault:~# service openmediavault-engined start
      16. Failed to start openmediavault-engined.service: Unit openmediavault-engined.serv ice failed to load: No such file or directory.
      17. root@openmediavault:~# service openmediavault-engined status
      18. ● openmediavault-engined.service
      19. Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
      20. Active: inactive (dead)
      Display All
      Did I destroy somehow the openmediavault-engine?

Maybe this is also of help
      dpkg -l | grep openmediavault

Source Code

1. root@openmediavault:~# dpkg -l | grep openmediavault
      2. rc openmediavault 3.0.88 all Open network attached storage solution
      3. rc openmediavault-autoshutdown 3.1.4 all OpenMediaVault AutoShutdown Plugin
      4. rc openmediavault-backup 3.6 all backup plugin for OpenMediaVault.
      5. ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
      6. rc openmediavault-letsencrypt 3.2 all Generate free and valid SSL certificates for OMV
      7. rc openmediavault-mysql 3.0.4 all MySQL plugin for OpenMediaVault.
      8. rc openmediavault-nginx 3.0.11 all Nginx plugin for OpenMediaVault.
      9. rc openmediavault-omvextrasorg 3.4.26 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
      10. rc openmediavault-wakealarm 3.2 all wakealarm plugin for OpenMediaVault.

I use OMV mainly as a Nextcloud platform and I would be grateful for some help.

ToKind
    • From the last command a status of " rc " means that the package has been removed, but that the configuration files remain. Seems you tried to uninstall OMV. All packages should have the status " ii "

No idea how to fix it, though.
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • Thank you for your answer. I ran several updates through the WebGUI, didn't choose all of them. One produced an error and I rebooted the machine. Afterward I got stuck with the problem. It is strange that the packages have been removed. Was not my intention at all!

Has someone else an idea how I could fix it?

I noticed to late, that I posted somehow in the wrong section. Sorry for that. Maybe a moderator could move it to general.
    • Hello Wolf2000. Thank you for your reply. I haven't tried apt-get purge. But the output of apt-get install reinstall openmediavault wasn't that successful I guess. Since I chose German as system language, line 2 to 5 are:
      • 2.Reading package lists... Done
      • 3.Building dependency tree
      • 4.Reading state information... Done
      • 5. E: Package reinstall couldn't be found.

Source Code

1. root@openmediavault:~# apt-get install reinstall openmediavault
      2. Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
      3. Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
      4. Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
      5. E: Paket reinstall kann nicht gefunden werden.
      6. root@openmediavault:~# dpkg -l | grep openmediavault
      7. rc openmediavault 3.0.88 all Open network attached storage solution
      8. rc openmediavault-autoshutdown 3.1.4 all OpenMediaVault AutoShutdown Plugin
      9. rc openmediavault-backup 3.6 all backup plugin for OpenMediaVault.
      10. ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
      11. rc openmediavault-letsencrypt 3.2 all Generate free and valid SSL certificates for OMV
      12. rc openmediavault-mysql 3.0.4 all MySQL plugin for OpenMediaVault.
      13. rc openmediavault-nginx 3.0.11 all Nginx plugin for OpenMediaVault.
      14. rc openmediavault-omvextrasorg 3.4.26 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
      15. rc openmediavault-wakealarm 3.2 all wakealarm plugin for OpenMediaVault.
      Display All
      I am still confused why all packages have been removed. Are they removed every time an update is performed?
    • Thank you ryecoaaron. I ran the command and 152 packages were installed. In between an interface came up, where I had ti choose between two different FTP setups. I picked the upper one for rare FTP usage. Afterwards the following message was in between the installation:

Source Code

1. ....
      2. update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
      3. W: mdadm: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf defines no arrays.
      4. W: mdadm: no arrays defined in configuration file.
      5. ...
      6. ...
      7. update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults
      8. insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of script `smartmontools' overrides LSB defaults (2 3 4 5).
      9. insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (1 2 3 4 5) of script `smartmontools' overrides LSB defaults (1).
      10. .....

If you would like to see the full output, pls let me know.
      According to the last interface the installation should be finished with omv-initsystem

Source Code

1. root@openmediavault:~# omv-initsystem
      2. W: mdadm: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf defines no arrays.
      3. W: mdadm: no arrays defined in configuration file.
      X/
    • After a restart I was able to reach the WebGUI with my password!! 8o But all my services/plugins are gone. All of them have the "rc" status. Autoshutdown, MySQL, etc. Is there a way to restore MySQL plugin? Should I reinstall the plugins as I did with OMV, with the hope, that all old configuration files will be available?

The post was edited 1 time, last by ToKind ().

• After fixing an DNS problem, I continued with the re-installation. Due to the help I was able to reinstall all plugins, which still had all my settings. There was no difference in SSH installation via apt-get install --reinstall openmediavault-XXXX (XXX - plugin name) or over WebGUI->Plugins. The MySQL plugin had to be disabled and enabled, before nextcloud was reachable.

A big THANK YOU to macom, Wolf2000 and ryecoaaron. :)