i5-3570K vs Intel Xeon X3430 Server

• Hi everyone, I've got as an old "gift" an HP Proliant ML110 G6 that spin an Intel Xeon X3430, so I was thinking to use it as my home server (backup, nas, emby streamer, nextcloud) to substitute my actual rig with an i5-3570k (that I didn't use anymore, was my old desktop pc).

I was thinking that despite be old a dedicated server\mobo cpu as the xeon would be better in "performance" and more over as less power usage than an i5 unlocked, but looking at charts it even seems the i5 consume less power.
    I'm no expert about xeon cpus, so I was thinking if you guys could give your opinion on that.

Unfourtunatly on paper the only thing that seems better in favor of the HP is the support for ECC memory (that could be awesome), but again it has only 2 gb of them, so I eventually should upgrade them.
    That's a pity I really would like to put this server to good use, but right now at least to me doesn't seem really worth the effort what do you guys think? am I missing something about the hp xeon that is worth it to revive?

• Actually I think it does matter on transcoding am I wrong?!
    By the way here is a more direct comparison between the two:

i5 vs Xeon

The only thing that really seems different (apart from 1 ghz difference between the two, but I don't know in a server\media server environment how much difference does it make) is:

• Non support for AES and AVX on the Xeon (that's a pity for the security)
    • Non support for Intel Virtualization Technology Direct I\O on the i5 (that could be useful for future virtualization uses, not planning on use them though)
    • Xeon be slightly more power hungry
    • Xeon supports ECC memory

Still I don't know if it would be worth to use the Xeon instead of the i5 for omv, any other thoughts?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!