SMART reports bad sector

• Try unmounting it, and testing it with SMART on another machine. I avoid using USB drives in OMV that are continually attached and running as I have experienced disconnect issues (even more so with USB 3.0). I tend to use eSATA as it is more reliable, but as you are using a Pi, I guess you are stuck with USB.(sorry, I digress) What brand and make of drive is it ? If it is self built enclosure were you have added the drive and it is a Western Digital Green, I would expect to see this.

HP N54L Microserver, 20Gb Intel SSD, 4Gb RAM runing OMV 4.X
    HP N54L Microserver 20Gb Intel SSD, 8Gb RAM running OMV 4.X
    and loads of other PC's and NAS... OMV by far the best....
    (P.S. I hate Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98se, 98 and 95 - I have lost hours of my life to this windows virus)

• Try unmounting it, and testing it with SMART on another machine.

Why? How should SMART attributes differ then (only 199 could increase if the HDD is pulled out of the enclosure and cable/contact problems are introduced).

I should be worried or is something usual in usb hard drive with a couple of years of usage?

If you have a backup you shouldn't be worried, if you have no backup you're at danger. SMART doesn't change here anything.

Wrt meaning of this attribute in general: https://arstechnica.com/civis/…533d68fa129e6f2#p22062211 (for whatever reasons you censored your screenshot covering the relevant row so how could anyone tell you what's going on?)

• Why? How should SMART attributes differ then (only 199 could increase if the HDD is pulled out of the enclosure and cable/contact problems are introduced).

If you have a backup you shouldn't be worried, if you have no backup you're at danger. SMART doesn't change here anything.
    Wrt meaning of this attribute in general: https://arstechnica.com/civis/…533d68fa129e6f2#p22062211 (for whatever reasons you censored your screenshot covering the relevant row so how could anyone tell you what's going on?)

Reason I say that test it on another machine is I have a 4Tb WD green flag up a SMART issue on OMV. Tested it in windows (bloourgh) with Crystal DIsk and Ubuntu and it passed all SMART tests no failures, all parameters good (eSATA enclosure, same eSATA cable). If it is a USB enclosure it is worth trying, I can understand if it is attached internally. On external devices a voltage drop/spike can cause all sorts of issues..

HP N54L Microserver, 20Gb Intel SSD, 4Gb RAM runing OMV 4.X
    HP N54L Microserver 20Gb Intel SSD, 8Gb RAM running OMV 4.X
    and loads of other PC's and NAS... OMV by far the best....
    (P.S. I hate Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98se, 98 and 95 - I have lost hours of my life to this windows virus)

• passed all SMART tests no failures, all parameters good (eSATA enclosure, same eSATA cable). If it is a USB enclosure it is worth trying, I can understand if it is attached internally. On external devices a voltage drop/spike can cause all sorts of issues.

I think we're talking about different things here: running SMART self-tests vs. reading out the disk's SMART attributes/values. Self-tests as well as normal operation can be affected by underpowering issues (and yeah, I totally agree that using a Raspberry Pi with extern USB disk can be considered already 'worst case') but reading out SMART values not.

If the reallocated sector count doesn't further increase there's at least no SMART indicated health problem. So if there exists a working and recent backup I wouldn't be concerned that much since the usual suspects all look fine (especially no WD and no high LCC)

• Usb device is a TOSHIBA MQ01UBD100 USB 3.0
    I didn't "censored" the line, I didn't get that the mouse was on the screenshot and the tooltip appeared.
    Attached the clear SMART table.
    I'm going to read the link proposed by @tkaiser about the red attribute.

I'm running rsync each night to "clone" this drive but I'm interested to understand if the device is going bad or is normal usage.
    Next step is to setup a better backup strategy.
    The device is connected via Y cable to usb router port and usb raspberry port (so no power issue should happens)

• The device is connected via Y cable to usb router port and usb raspberry port (so no power issue should happens)

Really bad idea. Electric potential difference is a great recipe for destroying electronics. Since powering Raspberry Pis is such a sh*t show you feed your disk most probably with 5.xV and 4.xV at the same time. With most recent OMV image for Raspberries it's easy to check for undervoltage issues: New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images

You should try to solve your powering issues first (get a disk that can be reliably powered with an own PSU or get a good powered USB hub in between that does not backpower the device or maybe the best solution: replace your Raspberry Pi since these devices are the most crappy choices for NAS possible)

• I'm powering rpi with a dedicated power supply with 2A as output (I selected this after reading some review) so I hope no power issue.
    The Y cable has backpower problem for sure ( I verified) but I'm going to isolate related connector in the cable plug to have power only from router or from another power supply.

Coming back to SMART: this device is dying or is normal?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!