My first NAS using OMV on Raspberry Pi

• Initially my external storage configuration was a 2TB Apple Time Capsule (TC), half of which kept my backups for a MacBook Pro and the other half also used as a “file server” for media. Once I got to the point where the 2TB TC was almost full, it was time to serve the media from another source.
    My primary intention for this NAS build was for media storage for Kodi and as a repository for my Raspberry Pi security camera videos and images. Regular camera photos and my full iTunes library are also stored on the NAS. As of this post I have OMV 3.0 and Kodi 17.3 each running on their own dedicated Raspberry Pi 3’s. Initially, I wasted way too much time fiddling with the AFP (Apple File Protocol, not IBM’s Advanced Function Printing of which I had more familiarity) plug-in. Plus, Apple in their infinite wisdom have not updated the microcode for the TC in years and have been reducing their router division so I’ll soon be dropping the TC altogether. I’ve also read from multiple sources that AFP has not been kept current for quite some time so that’s one more reason for ditching it. I was looking for a low cost solution for my immediate needs, and running an OMV subsystem and Kodi on their own dedicated Pi 3’s seemed sufficient, especially considering the extremely low power consumption when idle. Of course, I’ll be replacing the Pi 3 with the Pi 4 for OMV when it comes out in 1-2 years as USB 3.0 would definitely improve throughput for more than just media. My OMV server is used for media storage and I’d guesstimate more than 70% of the time it is idle.
    Originally, I was thinking of RAID 1 for my NAS strictly for redundancy purposes so if one drive begins to go “wonky” it would give me time to replace the failing component. I ended up getting a Seagate 4TB Backup Plus External Hard Drive for my needs since an off-site backup for that data is not necessary. Plus, if my place goes down in flames I’ve got other things to worry about. Yes, I do have some critical data which I would need and could not do without which fits on a Seagate 2TB Backup Plus Slim Portable External Hard Drive which I keep locked up at work. Yes, it does get incremental backups as required.
    Right now the primary use of OMV is for Kodi, and it works fantastic using SMB to serve 10GB+ movies, no buffering or delays at all. When I copied that approximately 1TB of data from the TC to the Seagate 4TB drive it took over 13 (thirteen) hours! OMV didn’t complain at all, and as you can see from the pic below it has a fan to keep things below excessive temperatures.
    I do have some “noob” questions about config and best practises specific to OMV, but I’ll reserve those for the appropriate forum section(s).

================================================================================
    = OS/Debian information
    ================================================================================
    Distributor ID: debian
    Description: Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)
    Release: 8.9
    Codename: jessie

= openmediavault information
    Release: 3.0.88
    Codename: Erasmus

• I was looking for a low cost solution for my immediate needs, and running an OMV subsystem and Kodi on their own dedicated Pi 3’s seemed sufficient

Makes not that much sense but anyway...

the extremely low power consumption when idle. Of course, I’ll be replacing the Pi 3 with the Pi 4 for OMV when it comes out in 1-2 years as USB 3.0 would definitely improve throughput

The RPi bottleneck is Fast Ethernet and everything there being behind one single USB2 connection. Since a 'Pi 4' will be incompatible for sure you could also look around for better suited alternatives: Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!