Loose Raid on reboot

• OMV 3.x
    • I got the following result.

root@NAS:~# sudo mdadm --assemble --force --verbose /dev/md0 /dev/sdf /dev/sdg
      mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md0
      mdadm: Cannot assemble mbr metadata on /dev/sdf
      mdadm: /dev/sdf has no superblock - assembly aborted

Maybe I should say, that I created the raid with my old hardware and wanted to reuse it with my new one.
    • Seems that you used the disks in your array before

fendle wrote:

1. Created a software raid through the admin menu
      2. Hardware:
      • Asrock Z87 EXTREME4 Mainboard Sockel LGA 1150
      • Intel i7 4770
      • 2 WD 3tb Red

It worked well with my old hardware with the same harddisks.
      Did you wipe the disks before using them in your new rig? I assume you didn't...

I had the very similiar problem because I used my disks in other machine before. There were remains from other file systems on them and for unknown reasons mdmadm did not write the new superblocks properly.
      I created the RAID in the GUI, started copying my files and after the first reboot the RAID disappeared... Very annoying...

Wipe your disks first (be aware, that all data on the disks will be lost!),

Source Code

1. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M (replace X with the target drive letter)
      then recreate your RAID in the GUI or in shell. Doublecheck the mdmadm.conf for an existing array, reboot and your RAID will (hopefully) consist permanent.
      Mainboard: MSI C236M Workstation - CPU: Intel Pentium G4500 - RAM: 2 x 4GB Kingston ECC - Systemdrive: 1 x Crucial MX200 250 GB on USB 3.0 - Datadrives: 5 x WD Red WD30EFRX 3 TB (Raid5) - NIC: Intel I350T2 - OMV 3.0.94 (Erasmus) - Kernel Linux 4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
    • Re,

CryptoWorX wrote:

There were remains from other file systems on them and for unknown reasons mdmadm did not write the new superblocks properly.
      Yeah. That's a bug ... well known for me.

CryptoWorX wrote:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M (replace X with the target drive letter)
      Better use:
      dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=4096 count=16 (Blocksize is better for 4Kn-drives and 16x4KiB-Blocks will overide any GPT Informations)

But if you zero the drive, you have to add it to the array again ...

Sc0rp