How do I know the UPS is working?

• How do I know my PowerWalker VI 650 UPS is working (monitoring and shutting down) without taking the mains power off?

Output of upsdrvctrl start:

Driver:

Zitat

[Powerwalker]
    driver = usbhid-ups
    port = auto
    pollinterval = 10
    desc = "Powerwalker UPS"

output of upsmon.conf

Output of upsc ups

Zitat

Init SSL without certificate database
    Error: Unknown UPS

In the web interface SYSLOG it shows:

Zitat

upsmon [16993]: Poll UPS [ups@localhost]failed - [ups] does not exist on server localhost

This is happening on each poll, which makes me uncertain the UPS is being monitored correctly...

HP N54L Microserver, 20Gb Intel SSD, 4Gb RAM runing OMV 4.X
    HP N54L Microserver 20Gb Intel SSD, 8Gb RAM running OMV 4.X
    and loads of other PC's and NAS... OMV by far the best....
    (P.S. I hate Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98se, 98 and 95 - I have lost hours of my life to this windows virus)

• Okay update 23/11/2017:

finally tested the UPS, removed mains and it kept both servers up and running. However it did not start shutting the attached OMV NAS down as it should have done..

Any ideas anyone?

HP N54L Microserver, 20Gb Intel SSD, 4Gb RAM runing OMV 4.X
    HP N54L Microserver 20Gb Intel SSD, 8Gb RAM running OMV 4.X
    and loads of other PC's and NAS... OMV by far the best....
    (P.S. I hate Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98se, 98 and 95 - I have lost hours of my life to this windows virus)

• Could you please post your nut-plugin settings here? It is possible to configure the shutdown

• ... by a fixed amount of time e.g 10 min = 600s
    • ... dependent of the charging level of the battery.

Which one do you have choosen?

I have tested my UPS by disconnecting the power line of the UPS, while the mains of the NAS was not connected to the UPS but to the normal outlet. Therefore there is no danger for the NAS while playing with the UPS settings. Nevertheless the shutdown procedure can be tested even so.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• How do I know my PowerWalker VI 650 UPS is working (monitoring and shutting down) without taking the mains power off?

Impossible. You need to test this. Especially if you've not already collected some experiences with these things and know how 'funny' they can behave.

finally tested the UPS, removed mains and it kept both servers up and running. However it did not start shutting the attached OMV NAS down as it should have done..

That means you have to redo the test again and this time also try out what happens if you connect your UPS to mains again (I've seen UPS then stopping to provide power to the connected devices not just once). And of course you need to figure out how to establish monitoring and test through this also a few times.

Looking back at the last 25 years of dealing with servers the 'UPS was the problem' vs. 'without UPS we would've run into a problem' ratio is 4:1 or even 5:1 (but in this area/city we have a blackout only every few years).

Personal learnings:

• if it's about uninterrupted operation dual PSUs are mandatory (one connected to mains, the other to the UPS). Dual PSUs with own sensors are to be preferred (since then the server monitors what's happening -- ipmitool and friends -- and can act on accordingly even if the UPS decided to cut power while still sending nothing suspicious via USB or serial)
    • Use of filesystems that can cope with interruptions (CoW) whenever possible (that's ZFS in almost all installations now)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!