Help: OMV decided to delete most of my data.

• Hey,

i was just watching a DVD, when it suddelny stopped...
    then i tried to browse the share but it failed...

i logged in to the admin console and realied, that the system has heavy load...
    then in ssh / htop i saw the following process:

after killing it, my disk looked like this:

You can also see the load ...

the server is still running.
    what can i do, to recover my data? according to my calc, arrount 1755GB have been wiped within no time ...
    i have no baclup, as i never predicted this kind of software-failure!
    i just run raid5, to protect against hardware-failure....

thanks in advance for any help.
    the server is still running

• First, run this command:

Code
    cat /root/.bash_history | grep "rm -rf"

if that spits out nothing, try

Code
    cat /root/.bash_history | grep "rm"

i would like to know what command was executed there as it seems to be no simple "rm -rf /media/..." but specific files to be deleted.

Also which filesystem is your raid, and hardware or software raid?

Greetings
    David

PS: also it is recommended to turn off your system right away to prevent that the data gets overwritten.

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks for your answer, David.
    I already remounted the FS as RO, so further loss should be prevented...
    I can see no evidence in the bash_history:
    root@hades:/var/log# mount -o remount,ro /media/4a7464c6-2efa-4e72-807c-6174bcd5085d/
    root@hades:/var/log# cat /root/.bash_history | grep "rm -rf"
    rm -rf
    root@hades:/var/log# cat /root/.bash_history | grep "rm"
    rm -rf
    rm -r *
    rm -r *
    rm -r marc/
    rm -r marc/
    rm -r *
    rm -r test/
    rm -r *
    rm -r *
    rm -r .recycle/
    rm -r Steam/
    root@hades:/var/log#

These should be commands i used on my own.

The system is an Acer H340 Server.

i use the 1TB disk as system and the 3 2TBfiles as Data software RAID5

i have only 1 ext4 filesystem

i got some strange errormessages the last days from my cron, since i installed the last upgrade.
    like this
    /etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-samba-recycle:
    xargs: unmatched single quote; by default quotes are special to xargs unless you use the -0 option
    xargs: unmatched single quote; by default quotes are special to xargs unless you use the -0 option

today i got this (right after killing rm -rf)
    /etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-samba-recycle:
    rm: cannot remove `media/4a7464c6-2efa-4e72-807c-6174bcd5085d/aquota.user': Operation not permitted
    rm: cannot remove `media/4a7464c6-2efa-4e72-807c-6174bcd5085d/aquota.group': Operation not permitted
    xargs: rm: terminated by signal 15

i have my samba recycles configured, to delete old data after 30 days... but it never deleted _everything_...

• Sorry, i never used Samba-recycle, but would you mind taking youself a look into /var/log/samba/ if you find anything that could give you a lead to why the deleting was initiated?

I don't know of any Filesystem recoveries for Linux/Ext4 atm, but maybe some others can recommend something for you, to get your Data back. (I only used something a while ago for XFS, and that was under Windows ^^)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• So far i only found one error, but i don't know if that error coud be related to your data loss:

rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)

Samba seems not to log so much as i think it could.

Greetings
    David

• Using extundelete i were able to recover 100-200 gb, but i don't need that stuff, as they are backups anyway, so i have the real data.
    ext4magic cannot open the media.

root@hades:/mnt/recover# ext4magic /media/4a7464c6-2efa-4e72-807c-6174bcd5085d/ -j /mnt/journal/file -d /mnt/recover/
    /media/4a7464c6-2efa-4e72-807c-6174bcd5085d/ Error 2133571364 while opening filesystem
    ext4magic : EXIT_SUCCESS

root@hades:/mnt/recover# umount /media/4a7464c6-2efa-4e72-807c-6174bcd5085d/

root@hades:/mnt/recover# ext4magic /dev/md0 -j /mnt/journal/file -d /mnt/recover/
    Filesystem in use: /dev/md0

ext4magic : EXIT_SUCCESS

root@hades:/mnt/recover# lsof | grep md0
    lsof: WARNING: can't stat() ext4 file system /home/ftp/home (deleted)
    Output information may be incomplete.
    lsof: WARNING: can't stat() ext4 file system /export/android (deleted)
    Output information may be incomplete.
    md0_raid5 823 root cwd DIR 8,1 4096 2 /
    md0_raid5 823 root rtd DIR 8,1 4096 2 /
    md0_raid5 823 root txt unknown /proc/823/exe
    jbd2/md0- 859 root cwd DIR 8,1 4096 2 /
    jbd2/md0- 859 root rtd DIR 8,1 4096 2 /
    jbd2/md0- 859 root txt unknown /proc/859/exe

root@hades:/mnt/recover#

If someone has some great ideas, i'm willing to try it.
    i really cannot understand, how the system can have some trouble with any recyclebin and the decide to rage and delete everything that is on the filesystem.
    i used omv and plugins only stably repositories and only GUI-settings, to prevent any mistake... and now all my data is gone... :(

• update:
    I got ext4 magic to work and if recovered few hundred Gig, but nothing that i needed :(
    My Audio, Video and Software folders seem to be gone.
    Any last recover-idea is highly appreciated.
    Thanks you in advance.

• You got a PM.

Greetings
    David

• did you use the "expert mode" of ext4magic?

I had to recover my raid and wrote down how i solved it. The main thing was using expert mode of ext4magic like this:

Code
    cd /tmp
    wget http://prdownload.berlios.de/ext4magic/ext4magic-0.3.1.tar.gz
    tar xfvz ext4magic-0.3.1.tar.gz
    apt-get install build-essential e2fslibs-dev uuid-dev libblkid-dev libmagic-dev
    cd /tmp/ext4magic
    make clean
    ./configure --enable-expert-mode
    make
    make install

And then i used this command to revocer:

Code
    ext4magic "/dev/md127" -s 4096 -n 4096000 -c -D -d /media/backupdisk

I wrote down how it worked for me (in german :( http://www.och-group.de/2013/0…dateisystem-raid5-retten/

• Thank you both,

i'll check both answers, before i give up.
    The German Blog makes it even easier for me, to follow :)

edit: i changed my fstab, to mount the ext4 share ro.
    I just changed it that way: UUID=X /media/Y ext4 defaults,ro,acl,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 2
    so i can continue the restore-attempts, even after shutting down the server.
    seems like good idea, so far

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

First, run this command:

Code
    cat /root/.bash_history | grep "rm -rf"

if that spits out nothing, try

Code
    cat /root/.bash_history | grep "rm"

i would like to know what command was executed there as it seems to be no simple "rm -rf /media/..." but specific files to be deleted.

You won't find anything in his bash history, because from the screenshot you can see that the rm -rf was invoked by cron! Which is rather... worrying... Is this fixed in the new release, because otherwise I will be shutting down my box until it is.

• Zitat von "Tom"

You won't find anything in his bash history, because from the screenshot you can see that the rm -rf was invoked by cron! Which is rather... worrying... Is this fixed in the new release, because otherwise I will be shutting down my box until it is.

You are right that this was invoked by cron - its the automatic deletion of the recycle folder (if you use it)

Just disable the automatic recycling of the samba .recycle folder to be absolutely safe :) I do never trust any bash/program to automatically delete data :) I dont even trust myself, thats why i additionally use the .recycle :)

• Lol Knumsi,

never to trust yourself is a good advice. You don't want to know how many times i screamed after a shift + delete under windows....

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Lol Knumsi,

never to trust yourself is a good advice. You don't want to know how many times i screamed after a shift + delete under windows....

Greetings
    David

Thats the reason :) And before OMV i had a samba share without a .recycle ... That moment when you automatically hit yes on the "Are you sure" - question and you know: THAT WAS WROG °_0 That was the way i once "cleaned up" my Picture collection ... :-/

Always keep a backup :)

• Zitat von "knumsi"

[...]
    "cleaned up" my Picture collection ... :-/
    [...]

Thats a good one :D

And yes, i definitly need a backup solution (for my personal stuff) and i think it is coming in the next few days. (2x2TB Raid1)

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "knumsi"

You are right that this was invoked by cron - its the automatic deletion of the recycle folder (if you use it)

Just disable the automatic recycling of the samba .recycle folder to be absolutely safe :) I do never trust any bash/program to automatically delete data :) I dont even trust myself, thats why i additionally use the .recycle :)

OK, fair enough to disable the auto pruning. But is this bug Fixed? Is Volker aware, and is it fixed in 0.4.30?

openmediavault 0.4.30

Mantis 0000771: Samba recycle bin pruning script produces errors/warnings.
    Please update your system via ‘System > Update Manager’ in the OpenMediaVault WebGUI. Please reload the WebGUI to let the changes installed by the update take effect.

• According to the Blog, he planed to fix it with the next release (so .30).
    http://blog.openmediavault.org/?p=995&cpage=1#comment-311741

However i think it could be marked a little bit more cleary like:
    "Beware, the recent version can and will delete everything you have, if you use SAMBA Recyble bin. Please updated asap!!!"
    But that is just my impression, as it happend to me.

Btw. got 3 SATA cables now .
    There are enough ports on my PC's mainboard and enough power-cables, that i can connect all three disks.
    I'll try to recover my data using David's tip, once i got some time...

• Both Thumbs are pressed.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!