New user - Need help with starting

• Hi,

I am on a Windows (10) system and would like to install Open OMV NAS onto a Raspberry Pi 2. I have downloaded "OMV_3_0_88_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.41.img.xz", extracted the IMG in it using WinRAR. I burned it onto an SD card using the Win32DiskImager utility. When booting, I end up with kernel panic block and after that I get Init message and it just stays there. I waited 30 minutes but nothing happened.

I even tried buring a USB drive (and used a blank SD card) but that's a no go.

I have looked around for a guide that will help me get going but could really find one that tells me what I need to do on a Windows laptop to prepare installation for RPi2. Majority of the instructions I see are for Linux.

Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Thank you.

• I have looked around for a guide

But ignored the readme at the download location. Use Etcher. If Etcher reports problems it's the SD card or your card reader, if Etcher tells you burning succeeded at least the image has been properly written to SD card. Then you need an Ethernet cable und patience as written in the readme and depending on the random write performance of your SD card after 5 to 30 minutes your RPi reboots and is ready.

• Thank you. I sure did not see this one. Do you know what size SD card I need for this? I know the image is around 4GB. Would an 8GB card work? Don't know how much storage the system/NAS requires once it is up and running (excluding any data storage).

Use http://www.etcher.io

Best little SD card burner around and it free!
    Even burns some compressed files like zip files
    It also checks you SD card for errors.

Rich Prim

Thank you. I think I do have a bad burnt SD cards. I will test it with the utilities recommended and reburn it using Etcher. Thanks all.

• Hi Guys,

I tried again but I am still stuck at the same spot. Attached image shows where it stops.

RPI has the following wires/items connected to it.
    - HDMI
    - Ethernet
    - External Power
    - USB Keyboard
    - 32GB SD Card

I have checked the SD card for error with H2TestW and then burned it using Etcher. Neither of the utilities showed any errors.

Also, someone suggested that I look for activity light on RPi. On my RPi, I only see red (Power?) LED which is lit solid.

Thank you for any help.

• RPI has the following wires/items connected to it

Try it with Ethernet only and all unnecessary power consumers disconnected (no HDMI, no USB). The green led is sufficient as an activity indicator. If you see activity then most probably you're running into underpowering issues now (pretty common since Raspberries use the crappy Micro USB connector for DC-IN -- read this for details). If the same happens (green led stopping after a few seconds) you need to replace your PSU anyway (or the whole Raspberry, it's a really bad choice for a NAS)

• Try it with Ethernet only and all unnecessary power consumers disconnected (no HDMI, no USB). The green led is sufficient as an activity indicator. If you see activity then most probably you're running into underpowering issues now (pretty common since Raspberries use the crappy Micro USB connector for DC-IN -- read this for details). If the same happens (green led stopping after a few seconds) you need to replace your PSU anyway (or the whole Raspberry, it's a really bad choice for a NAS)

Thank you. I have now tried different SD cards as well as different power sources without much joy. I end up at the same spot. Do you know if that's the same spot (as in the image I attached) where you are supposed to wait a long time? In my case green LED light simply stops flickering. I am downloading an older version now (2.2.5) to see if that works. I know the RPi works because I have used it with others linux distributions etc.

To give a bit background on this project, at home I have a (older, QNAP) NAS drive with a lot of personal data. I would like to come up with another NAS that I can put at a family home and perhaps create a sync between them. Goal is to have an inexpensive off-site backup to avoid any potential Ransomware fall-out. Having a NAS at the second location means family can have access to some of the pictures and family movies etc giving me dual benefit. I already have an RPi so I wanted to use that. If I were to use a full PC, I will have issues finding a place at the other house to place it.

• In my case green LED light simply stops flickering.

Then it's over: crash/freeze/brownout. Due to the way the OMV image is created there's a lot of activity on first boot. If your RPi is underpowered that might be the culprit. When you can boot other images fine you could check there the output fro

Code
    perl -e "printf \"%19b\n\", $(vcgencmd get_throttled | cut -f2 -d=)"

Result explanation here: New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images

In my personal opinion it's not worth to diagnose such problems since Raspberry Pis are broken by design (Micro USB for DC-IN). But since there exist so many better alternatives this is not a real problem :)

• Other than these tiny boards, what would you recommend for my use that is inexpensive and stable? Since it is for backup, I want a stable solution but not spend a lot since I will probably spend GBP 180 on an External USB drive.

Thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!