VM access to serial ports

• I have a Win10 VM that needs access to the serial ports on the OMV host machine. I understand I can add the VM user to the dialout group in order to get permission to use the serial ports. What is the VM user name? That part is not clear to me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think what you need to do is export the serial port over the network via tcp. I have done this in the past with a usb to db9 cable. The usb port end to the router (linux) and the serial end to the physical server. Then i could connect either by ssh into the router then fire minicom or screen, or use socat directly to the exposed tcp port in the lan side of the router.

The key word is ser2net which is available in standard repo.

• I think what you need to do is export the serial port over the network via tcp. I have done this in the past with a usb to db9 cable. The usb port end to the router (linux) and the serial end to the physical server. Then i could connect either by ssh into the router then fire minicom or screen, or use socat directly to the exposed tcp port in the lan side of the router.

The key word is ser2net which is available in standard repo.

Woah subzero79. Not understanding that at all, and I think the solution for what I need is much simpler. I'll try describing again.

My Win10 VirtualMachine running on the OMV host needs access to the physical serial ports (I have a Davis VP2 weather station that connects via a serial cable). If, from within OMV, I manually change permissions on the port ("chmod 777 /dev/ttyS01"), my Win10 machine can see and use the port just fine. Problem is that the permissions change doesn't survive on reboot of OMV. I believe however, that I can add the VM user to the "dialout" group on the OMV host, and then the VM should be able to use the port, and survive reboots.

My issue is that I don't know which user I should add. Is it my username? I would have thought it most likely I want to use the username that the VM is running under, since the VM is set to run on reboot, so it can't be using my username since I won't be logged in until after reboot. I just don't know what username the VM is running under.

• btw I said vbox assuming this is virtualbox, is this correct?

That is correct. And adding vbox user to the dialout group did the trick! I didn't know the user to use, which is what I was getting at. Now I know vbox is the VM (or more properly I suppose, the VirtualBox) user. Thanks subzero!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!