Will installing OMV within Wheezy on Flash Drive be bad?

• So I recently installed 0.4 OMV from USB to my 8gb Nano PNY and within 24 hours my flash drive was toasted (not to mention a few failed boots during my hours of configuring and installing plugins).

After reading a few hours worth of Wiki and Forums, I now understand OMV writes way too much data for flash drives to handle.

SO, I'm wondering if I follow a tutorial to install inside Wheezy (http://wiki.debian.org/InstallOpenMediaVaultOnDebian), will that make a difference and allow me to install OMV on a flash drive under wheezy without killing it? (I don't want to install on my internal 160gb drive; that's too much wasted space and my current Nas4Free runs fine on a flash drive, but I prefer Debian over FreeBSD and want to switch if at all possible)

Installing on a netbook; ASUS eeePC 1001P 64bit, 1.6ghz Atom N450 dual core, 1gb RAM (DDR2), 160gb SATA (5400RPM).

Current setup is a 2004 Acer Aspire intel x86 2.1 ghz dual core, 2gb DDR2, 60gb SATA (5400rpm) running Nas4Free 9.0 on a 1gb cheapo flash drive (been running for 2 years, with no problems, but the hardware is dying).

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.2ghz
    Memory:
    26GB RAM
    Kernel: Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64
    Version: 5.6.2-1 (Usul) Debian Buster [From Fresh Install of 5]

• OMV 0.4 is not yet ready to be installed in a working evironment to Wheezy. I would recommend you wait for 0.6 if you would like to use wheezy. 0.5 is coming out in the next weeks and after that Volker is going to take the Migration to Wheezy with 0.6.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Moving to wheezy won't help the flash drive issue either. And while OMV does work on wheezy, it has a lot of issues. Not a good idea.

If that space is very important on the 160 gig drive, you can resize the boot partition (read). Then create a third partition on the drive which will be recognized and shareable by the OMV web interface.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Moving to wheezy won't help the flash drive issue either. And while OMV does work on wheezy, it has a lot of issues. Not a good idea.

If that space is very important on the 160 gig drive, you can resize the boot partition (read). Then create a third partition on the drive which will be recognized and shareable by the OMV web interface.

Thanks, that worked awesome! Now I have my full HDD (almost) for storage still and the OS on a 10gb partition. This wasn't possible in Nas4Free, it broke the OS every time.

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.2ghz
    Memory:
    26GB RAM
    Kernel: Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64
    Version: 5.6.2-1 (Usul) Debian Buster [From Fresh Install of 5]

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!