Debian+OMV or pure OMV?

• Hello,

I want to create my own NAS after many years with my QNAP.

One of the reasons I want to create my own NAS is because I want to run some little services on the system, wich was not really possible with the old QNAP.
    I will use some docker container and maybe one or to virtual machines for testing.

My system will be based on this: https://www.technikaffe.de/anl…d_pentium_6x_sata_und_m.2

I want to use two 150GB SSDS (RAID1) for OS and services.
    While some 10TB Hdds hold the data in RAID6.
    I also will be using a LSI RAID-Controller.

But my question is not about hardware, but software.

1. If I install OMV the standard way, will I be able to install and configure the system as any other debian?
    Or is OMW limited and I should install a standard debian and then add OMV?
    2. When installing debian first, what do I have to consider?
    This thread explaines the install, but is four years old.
    Install OMV on Debian via apt
    But do I just have to replace "kralizec" with "erasmus" to install the latest stable version?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I install OMV the standard way, will I be able to install and configure the system as any other debian?
    Or is OMW limited and I should install a standard debian and then add OMV?

OMV is a package on top of debian. Takes full control of some system features. Is completely open and in no way like in read only mode or hard to break distros like freenas, pfsense or openelec. So if you're inexperienced linux/debian user you can brake it pretty easily.

When installing debian first, what do I have to consider?

Just use netinst and select only ssh server and core utils. That's it.

If you want raid1 for os you will need then the debian installer. OMV installer is quite reduced to minimal interaction

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!