Resize root/system partition to make it bigger

• Hi all,

I have a 16gb SD card with the root/system partition configured to 8gb - on a Banana Pi M2U running OMV3 kernel 3.10.107.

The root partition is 90% full, formatted as ext4 and there is free/unpartitioned space on the SD card.

Is it possible to make the root/system partition larger without loosing data? I have looked on the interweb and I think it is possible but the instructions are confusing. Some instructions say you need to delete the partition and then create a new larger one that starts at exactly the same point. This sounds risky!

My goal is to increase the size of the root partition by 2gb while keeping the data.

What are my options?

Thanks

• I have a 16gb SD card with the root/system partition configured to 8gb - on a Banana Pi M2U running OMV3 kernel 3.10.107.

Only interesting information missing --> which OS image are you using? IIRC it's one of the funny SinoVoip Raspbian variants so you should be done after

Code
    sudo raspi-config --> "Expand root partition to fill SD card" --> reboot
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Bigger question, why is it using so much? df -h will show how much / is using. apt-get clean all will get rid of cache files that sometimes take a lot of space.

If you make it idiot proof, somebody will build a better idiot.

• Bigger question, why is it using so much?

Already answered in his first sentence: Banana Pi M2 Ultra. This board is absolutely incompatible to all other Banana Pi, a lot of clueless people have been tricked into buying it since it features 'native SATA' (slow as hell) and believing in compatibility (none) and so they end up having to rely on 'official' Banana Pi OS images that are all terrible since Banana manufacturer doesn't care about providing usable software.

The OS images are unoptimized (so performance sucks) and cluttered up with useless junk (they leave 'the factory' 8GB almost full). So an alternative could also be to simply deinstall all the junk (X11, tons of graphical applications and Raspbian crap no one needs on an OMV host anyway)

• Thanks all for the helpful info.

yep - i was an idiot for buying the Banana Pi M2U. I think I'm a bigger idiot for trying to get it working for a friend as a 'low hassle' media server... haha

I have now purchased a rock64 so looking forward to getting a decent board in a couple of weeks...

• Im running OMV 3.0.94 on an odroidxu4 hand had plex use all of the free space on the systen partition. After I found this thread, I used parted in the terminal to increase the partition since I use a 64GiB SD as system drive. According to parted my system partition is 62.9GiB in size, but in OMV and the Terminal start screen it still says that it only has 7.04GiB of size.

Is there a way I can update this Info in OMV?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!