How to get kernel updates on OMV images for ARM boards

• Hallo,

thank you for the greate work you did to make it possible to have openmediavault on the Odroid Xu4 boards.

On thing I haven't found yet, is the way to upgrade the kernel on a running image from you.
    Can you help me, how to do this.

Best regards

Matthias

• On thing I haven't found yet, is the way to upgrade the kernel on a running image from you.

Kernel and DT are packaged (linux-image-next-$BOARD and linux-dtb-next-$BOARD packages, check with 'dpkg -l' or 'apt-cache show'). So they get updated the usual way (apt upgrade) but currently no newer version is available through apt.armbian.com (you would need to switch to the beta repository with armbian-config tool but this is something I won't recommend for stable images)

• But how did you bring the newer kernels to the images?

Is it possible/usefull to download the packages and make a "dpkg -i" for testing?

wget http://beta.armbian.com/pool/m…xu4_5.34.171101_armhf.deb
    wget http://beta.armbian.com/pool/m…xu4_5.34.171101_armhf.deb

sudo dpkg -i linux-dtb-next-odroidxu4_5.34.171101_armhf.deb linux-image-next-odroidxu4_5.34.171101_armhf.deb

Yes I know the risk.

mfG Matthias

• Got it.

Are there any other changes in our new image (4.9.57) which doesn't come with an apt upgrade ?
    I installed the 4.9.52 image and an update doesn't bring the kernel 4.9.57.

Thanks!

mfG Matthias

• As already explained above: the kernel is packaged and once a new kernel is available in the respective repo it becomes automatically available on your host.

Default repository for these packages is apt.armbian.com which receives new packages only after extensive testing since we hate breaking stuff (so you get new kernel releases through this repo only when kernel related security issues are known or from time to time -- probably in 2 weeks since a new major Armbian release is on its way).

In case you want always latest and greatest kernel releases (built nightly without any testing done!) you can switch to beta repository as also already explained above. Use armbian-config for this and do not cherry-pick .deb files you find somewhere on the net.

And all of this is more or less unrelated to OMV and questions should go to Armbian forum after reading the documentation of course.

• Thank you for the detailed answer.

Yes I want always latest and greatest and I know the risk.
    No I doesn't find the .deb files somewhere in the net, they are from beta.armbian.com.

But that was not the main intension for this question.

I want to know, if I had installed an image OMV_3_0_88_Odroidxu4_4.9.52.img.xz with a kernel 4.9.52 some weeks before,
    is it possible to get the kernel 4.9.57 from your latest image OMV_3_0_88_Odroidxu4_4.9.57.img.xz.

So this is not possible without changing to the beta repository?

Best regards

mfG Matthias

• Yes I want always latest and greatest and I know the risk.

I don't think so. Let me explain. The kernel packages on beta.armbian.com are built every night. The upstream kernel sources vary and the upstream kernel release policy too (this is especially true for ODROID XU4 you're interested in).

To get how a kernel for a certain device is built you check board config, then $LINUXFAMILY, then the branch (next and not default or dev), then which upstream github repo is used and finally what patches are applied:

This is the commit history from the upstream kernel repo used: https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/commits/odroidxu4-4.9.y

As you can see there are some commits that get reverted from time to time (since introduced problems) and Hardkernel folks themselves test usually a lot before they provide new kernel packages for their own OS images (we don't use). So Armbian's nightly kernel builds might be broken from time to time and it gets even worse since looking at the kernel is not enough since u-boot is also important.

On all the ARM platforms we have a strong relationship between some u-boot and kernel features so increasing kernel version that contains a fix without also increasing u-boot package version might end up with a bricked board.

I won't get more into details just as a little example how complicated and time-consuming this can be: We had a few weeks/months the problem that it was impossible to boot XU4/HC1 from attached HDDs/SSDs. Reason was a minimal glitch (changed kernel config which broke UAS -- USB Attached SCSI -- so that the driver failed to load the rootfs from attached USB storage). Fix was rather simple but I wasted easily more than a whole day on testing with this stuff and it took weeks until we finally released a fixed kernel package.

That's why it needs extensive testing before new u-boot/kernel packages can be released through apt.armbian.com -- we don't want to release stuff that lead to bricked installations later.

So this is not possible without changing to the beta repository?

Exactly. Just as a reference how to switch between repos and how to freeze/unfreeze u-boot/kernel packages: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…-odroid-hc1-sata-install/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!