"Communication Error" when clicking on "File Systems" or "Raid Management", raid the cause?

• To start, I should mention that everything was working just a few hours ago.

My system consists of a single SSD, and 3 relatively new HDDs in a linear raid.

Just an hour before reformatting my SSD, my omv configuaration was stable. Navigating through "File Systems" and "RAID management" worked just fine.

I reformatted my SSD, installed debian jessie, and installed omv 3.

Whenever I click on "Raid Management" or "File Systems" in the web ui I get a "Communication Error". After reading on these forums about the issue, it seems that the likely cause is that the drives don't respond in time, indicating failure. My drives all detect under "Physical Disks", and SMART tests where run without any cause for concern. Furthermore, when ANY combination of 2/3 disks in my system is hooked up, clicking on "File Systems" or "RAID Management" doesn't give an error, the raid config simply isn't there.

I've done this once before a while back and it was simple. I reformatted OMV, I then went to file systems and it auto-detected my raid, and I mounted it without problems.

Does anyone know what's going on? SMART tests show no problems with the drives, and having AB, BC, or AC drives physically plugged in, two at a time, results in no error when clicking "File Systems" or "Raid Management".

One final thing I should note is that when I have all 3 drives hooked up and get the communication error, I hear each individual drive spinning away heavily for several minutes, making me think some huge process is started behind the scenes.

Server has an i7 and 8gb of ram, so should be able to handle this, and has handled reformats in the past.

Any advice on troubleshooting would be appreciated. If there are any logs I can track down please don't hesitate to let me know!

• I'm also have issues with 3.0.90, communication error, slow formatting, bad gateway.
    It's a new install over the top of an existing.

I'm convinced whatever is happening is a result of the new update, since I did this very recently on 3.0.8x and everything worked fine.

Just incase anyone can be of help, my FSTAB looks like this:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
    UUID=15b9af40-ae12-4838-8269-b4a840a298e4 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=9BF0-EAFD /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sda3 during installation
    UUID=36ec0439-7d33-4718-b951-902337f4e536 none swap sw 0 0
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
    ~

Running blkid:

/dev/sda1: UUID="9BF0-EAFD" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="6d1f21a8-32f9-4b52-9c37-b913a143dac0"
    /dev/sda2: UUID="15b9af40-ae12-4838-8269-b4a840a298e4" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="158bee58-b76a-401d-a5fa-19a52ba5be6f"
    /dev/sda3: UUID="36ec0439-7d33-4718-b951-902337f4e536" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="0e142d10-fc45-4246-a3aa-e659b78e83b2"
    /dev/sdb: UUID="dbb02370-7606-7bea-c611-bcd5c3280cf0" UUID_SUB="2b7a0686-051b-8d2f-1966-5366cba919cf" LABEL="openmediavault:MediaDrive" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdd: UUID="dbb02370-7606-7bea-c611-bcd5c3280cf0" UUID_SUB="9aae5675-b8ec-eaf2-ce5f-750886b1baa4" LABEL="openmediavault:MediaDrive" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/md127: LABEL="NASDRIVE" UUID="6e93c264-fbad-48e3-bebc-7958f68a9572" UUID_SUB="2c69394f-5cef-4714-81ee-b1320437fe3c" TYPE="btrfs"
    /dev/sdc: UUID="dbb02370-7606-7bea-c611-bcd5c3280cf0" UUID_SUB="42b71329-e10a-e6bf-1e6b-5850aeee6ac8" LABEL="openmediavault:MediaDrive" TYPE="linux_raid_member"

Interestingly, my raid drives don't appear anywhere in the fstab. Is this normal?
    If anyone has any tips on how I can get these disks mounted in OMV, or maybe even mount them myself and update the omv config to reflect this?

Thanks all!

• Update: After re-installing debian jessie again and giving OMV 3 a shot, I still received the communication error.

Downloaded debian stretch + OMV4 in the exact same way, and everything works.

I'm convinced this is related to some change that was made in the most recent OMV3 update.

Regardless, moving to OMV4 fixed the error and my raid appeared and mounted immediately without issue.

• I have the same issues. Almost not possible to load the 'File Systems' page. Much worse than the 3.0.78 I was using before. :thumbdown:

Could someone please implement a "Downgrade Management" tab?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I have OMV 3.0.94 with 4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 kernel

New second server with Norco RPS4220 case
    two 4 port SAS HBA that go to the Norco SAS backplane

4 mini sas cables

I am also having this issue when trying to create a raid array. When I click Create I get a "communication error" and no disks show up

All the disks show up in the system and smart shows no errors

I tried creating also ZFS Pool with 2 x raidz2 = 2 x 6 disk array and I am also having errors.

Seems like something keeps timing out with the IO

I am going to try different cables and test each one of my backplanes and HBA individually, but I have a feeling it is something else.

• I am going to try different cables and test each one of my backplanes and HBA individually, but I have a feeling it is something else.

Don´t do this. It will not improve the situation. I have already filed a bug report in bugtracker.openmediavault.org for about two month. There was no response from the developer. So I didn´t expect a fix for that anymore.

The 6 disks of my NAS are configured to go to standby after 20 minutes. If they are in standby and when I try to open the file systems page, I get this error many times repeatedly. Then it takes several seconds until the drives have spin up. After then I didn´t get a communication error anymore.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I have two OMV systems.... one is the new one above which I have just put together this week.
    The second has been running for years updated to the same version and kernel.

The difference is the case, HBA's and has 4 less drives

- New systems has 12 x 4TB 7200RPM Enterprise drives and 2 SSD's
    - Old system has 8 x 2TB 5900RPM NAS drvies and 2x 300GB WD 10k RPM

In the old system the HBA's are SAS3 instead of SAS6 like in the new system
    Also they are connected to the drives with SAS - SATA breakout cables
    - New system uses SAS-SAS cables from HBA to the hot swap backplane

The old system has no problem finding all the drives and my mdadm raid 6 and raid 1 arrays.
    - I would not think that 4 more drives would all of a sudden cause a major problem, but maybe I am wrong.

The new system ..... I think some of the drive cages are not working so I am still going to check all the cables and HBA. I need to rule out that there is no issue with the hardware.

• I think some of the drive cages are not working

Yes of course, in this case you have to check the system. You should exclude any hardware failure.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

• Replaced the SAS Cables from the HBA to the backplane and everything started working. All drives recognized and am able to create mdadm raid or ZFS

The cables that came with the HBA's off of Ebay were ...... ummmm..... not so good (Sh******)

• Don´t do this. It will not improve the situation. I have already filed a bug report in bugtracker.openmediavault.org for about two month. There was no response from the developer. So I didn´t expect a fix for that anymore.
    The 6 disks of my NAS are configured to go to standby after 20 minutes. If they are in standby and when I try to open the file systems page, I get this error many times repeatedly. Then it takes several seconds until the drives have spin up. After then I didn´t get a communication error anymore.

Snap. That's exactly the amount of time I have set. Do you per chance also have , Advanced Power Management - 64, Acoustic Management - Disabled and Write Cache - OFF?
    It's definitely an OS issue, but whether it's OMV or debian that's at fault is another matter.
    This is confirmed with 4.0.15-1
    My setup is disks formatted ext4 mounted and label as single devices , pooled with mergerfs with Snapraid 2 parity.
    2 different chassis this latest one is 2 x 4 bay SAS with reverse mini SAS cable to come off the motherboards SATA ports.
    But I've been experiencing this for ages and my physical drive settings have not changed across builds or OMV versions, so maybe that's it.
    A conflict with another process trying to manage spindown?

I'll have a play and see.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!