Not able to check updates in OMV 2.2.14

• The tutorial to upgrade is: omv-release-upgrade
    To upgrade "without impact" is very difficult from OMV 2.x to 3.x. Impossible to write a tutorial for everything that could go wrong. I recommend a fresh install. But since you have a backup, you can always try it. If it goes badly, restore from backup.

Ahaha, I just did a backup 5min ago so right now if something goes wrong I just need 10min to restore my set up with clonezilla.
    That being said, I would like to do that when you are available just in case! Is right now a good moment?

So just need to execute in CLI the comand: “omv-release-upgrade” ? I always though it would come on GUI as something friendly for the user :P

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would like to do that when you are available just in case! Is right now a good moment?

Not particularly. I am working on some other upgrades today. Why not try it in a VM a few times. Typically the upgrade involves a few reboots, a few apt-get -f install, and removing (not purging) plugins until it works. Sometimes it is a pain and easier to install 3.x fresh.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Not particularly. I am working on some other upgrades today. Why not try it in a VM a few times. Typically the upgrade involves a few reboots, a few apt-get -f install, and removing (not purging) plugins until it works. Sometimes it is a pain and easier to install 3.x fresh.

Ok thanks anyway.
    This is something I really don’t like in OMV. I’ve been using OMV2.x for sometime right now and now I am pretty confortable an use to it, to get the version 3 or even version 4, I need to do a fresh install? This is really painfull. I don’t want to to reconfigure all my stuff, shared folders, plugins, VMs, etc, etc.. I would need a whole day for that.

This makes me think about synology some times to be honest...

• Offizieller Beitrag

to get the version 3 or even version 4, I need to do a fresh install?

For the 2.x to 3.x upgrade, yes. Just too many changes in OMV AND Debian AND the change to systemd. The 1.x to 2.x upgrade and 3.x to 4.x upgrade worked very well. Not being a able to do upgrades isn't that uncommon. Upgrades aren't supported and painful with Redhat Enterprise Linux. Even Windows Server 2012 R2 to 2016 isn't supported.

This is really painfull. I don’t want to to reconfigure all my stuff, shared folders, plugins, VMs, etc, etc.. I would need a whole day for that.

This makes me think about synology some times to be honest...

Just to warn you that you will buy a synology and when they are done supporting it, you get to buy a new one and probably start from scratch with the configuration as well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• For the 2.x to 3.x upgrade, yes. Just too many changes in OMV AND Debian AND the change to systemd. The 1.x to 2.x upgrade and 3.x to 4.x upgrade worked very well. Not being a able to do upgrades isn't that uncommon. Upgrades aren't supported and painful with Redhat Enterprise Linux. Even Windows Server 2012 R2 to 2016 isn't supported.

Just to warn you that you will buy a synology and when they are done supporting it, you get to buy a new one and probably start from scratch with the configuration as well.

Fair enough. So you recomendation is to go with OMV 4.X with a fresh install?
    My main concern is the raid (soft-raid 1 with OMV).
    How should I proceed? Once OMV is installed I just add a new raid mirror chosing my hard drives but without formatting and it will start to sync...or do I need to define a master and a slave and the slave will be erased to sync with the master?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So you recomendation is to go with OMV 4.X with a fresh install?

Sure depending on plugins.

My main concern is the raid (soft-raid 1 with OMV).
    How should I proceed?

I would stop using raid 1. There shouldn't any more issues with raid on OMV 4 than OMV 2.

Once OMV is installed I just add a new raid mirror chosing my hard drives but without formatting and it will start to sync...or do I need to define a master and a slave and the slave will be erased to sync with the master?

No, it will automatically recognize it and you just mount it in the omv web interface.

• Sure depending on plugins.

I would stop using raid 1. There shouldn't any more issues with raid on OMV 4 than OMV 2.

No, it will automatically recognize it and you just mount it in the omv web interface.

Thanks,

I’ll give a try then!

What do you mean by « I would stop using raid1 » ?

Currenty my set up is:

- One SSD for OMV (I also have a symbolic link to have a « shared folder » in OMV to use it for the windows VM on virtualbox. It’s much more quick than having it on the WD Red.
    - One WD Red 3TB member of the mirror
    - One WD Red 3TB member of the mirror
    - One WD Green 2TB used by rsync for a weekly copy of important things.

EDIT:

I just tryed OMV 3 in a VM and I must say "lol". First time I run it, I got some updates available, so I tryed to upgrade and then:

Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...
    >>> *************** Error ***************
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --auto-remove --allow-unauthenticated --show-upgraded --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" install bind9-host firmware-adi firmware-amd-graphics firmware-atheros firmware-bnx2 firmware-bnx2x firmware-brcm80211 firmware-intelwimax firmware-ipw2x00 firmware-ivtv firmware-iwlwifi firmware-libertas firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree firmware-misc-nonfree firmware-myricom firmware-netxen firmware-qlogic firmware-ralink firmware-realtek firmware-samsung firmware-ti-connectivity gnupg gpgv iucode-tool libbind9-90 libcurl3-gnutls libdns-export100 libdns100 libgd3 libirs-export91 libisc-export95 libisc95 libisccc90 libisccfg-export90 libisccfg90 liblwres90 libperl5.20 libssl1.0.0 libwbclient0 libxml2 linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 linux-image-amd64 openmediavault openssl perl perl-base perl-modules python-samba samba samba-common samba-common-bin samba-dsdb-modules samba-libs samba-vfs-modules tzdata wget wpasupplicant 2>&1' with exit code '100': Reading package lists...

Reading state information...

firmware-adi is already the newest version.
    firmware-ralink is already the newest version.
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    firmware-misc-nonfree : Breaks: firmware-adi
    Breaks: firmware-ralink
    E
    :
    Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

<<< *************************************

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --auto-remove --allow-unauthenticated --show-upgraded --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" install bind9-host firmware-adi firmware-amd-graphics firmware-atheros firmware-bnx2 firmware-bnx2x firmware-brcm80211 firmware-intelwimax firmware-ipw2x00 firmware-ivtv firmware-iwlwifi firmware-libertas firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree firmware-misc-nonfree firmware-myricom firmware-netxen firmware-qlogic firmware-ralink firmware-realtek firmware-samsung firmware-ti-connectivity gnupg gpgv iucode-tool libbind9-90 libcurl3-gnutls libdns-export100 libdns100 libgd3 libirs-export91 libisc-export95 libisc95 libisccc90 libisccfg-export90 libisccfg90 liblwres90 libperl5.20 libssl1.0.0 libwbclient0 libxml2 linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 linux-image-amd64 openmediavault openssl perl perl-base perl-modules python-samba samba samba-common samba-common-bin samba-dsdb-modules samba-libs samba-vfs-modules tzdata wget wpasupplicant 2>&1' with exit code '100': Reading package lists...

Reading state information...

firmware-adi is already the newest version.
    firmware-ralink is already the newest version.
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    firmware-misc-nonfree : Breaks: firmware-adi
    Breaks: firmware-ralink
    E
    :

E:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just tryed OMV 3 in a VM and I must say "lol". First time I run it, I got some updates available, so I tryed to upgrade and then:

This is because selecting all packages in the omv web interface updates tab tells apt to install each one. Two of the firmware packages need to be uninstalled. apt will do this but you need deselect firmware-adi and firmware-ralink (i think) -or- do an omv-update from the command line

What do you mean by « I would stop using raid1 » ?

Why do you use raid 1?

• Sure depending on plugins.

Hi @ryecoaaron,

Just tested the “omv-update” in CLI on my VM and it worked indeed.

Concerning the raid1 on my principal system, after your advice, I started to read about it and ideed, makes no sense, it’s wasting space disk for only availability...I even read somewhere that pontential corruption was more probable in a RAID 1 because writing in both disks at the same time. I just separated services per disk keeping my third one to backup the important disk with the Data.

Concerning the update...I think I’ll still wait a bit...I am not sure I’ll be taking benefict about the new version vs OMV 2.x, would I?
    I am only using SMB, OpenVPN, biTorrent and virtualbox.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Concerning the update...I think I’ll still wait a bit...I am not sure I’ll be taking benefict about the new version vs OMV 2.x, would I?
    I am only using SMB, OpenVPN, biTorrent and virtualbox.

Not sure about BT or OpenVPN but virtualbox might benefit from the upgrade especially if you have a Win10 guest.

• Not sure about BT or OpenVPN but virtualbox might benefit from the upgrade especially if you have a Win10 guest.

Oh man... I do have a win10 guest on php virtualbox...
    What is the benefict? would it be quicker and more performant? As now the difference between a local install is huge...

I have just finished undoing my raid 1 and had to re-do all the shares and so on... thinking in upgrade with a fresh install just makes me wanna cry... lol

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh man... I do have a win10 guest on php virtualbox...
    What is the benefict? would it be quicker and more performant?

Not sure. I just know a few users asked for newer versions of virtualbox because of Win10 guests.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!