Not able to check updates in OMV 2.2.14

• Hello,

Could you help on this? I am not able to check updates in OMV.
    A couple of days ago I played a little bit with DNS/DHCP setting using the plugin but then I reverted back all the changes. I checked /etc/resolv.conf and the nameservers are correctly set up to 8.8.8.8.
    I also checked the DNS servers in the network interface and it is also ok.

I have OMV 2.2.4

Here is the error message:

Error #4000:exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; apt-get update 2>&1': E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/apt.inc:276Stack trace:#0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceApt->update(NULL, Array)#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('update', NULL, Array)#3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('Apt', 'update', NULL, Array, 1)#4 {main}

Thank you in advance.

• Hi @Wolf2000,

Here you have:

Of course google works, I would have noticed it :)

root@microserver:/# ping google.com
    PING google.com (216.58.210.142) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from mad06s09-in-f14.1e100.net (216.58.210.142): icmp_req=1 ttl=56 time=18.8 ms
    64 bytes from mad06s09-in-f142.1e100.net (216.58.210.142): icmp_req=2 ttl=56 time=17.5 ms
    64 bytes from mad06s09-in-f14.1e100.net (216.58.210.142): icmp_req=3 ttl=56 time=18.0 ms
    64 bytes from mad06s09-in-f14.1e100.net (216.58.210.142): icmp_req=4 ttl=56 time=18.2 ms
    64 bytes from mad06s09-in-f14.1e100.net (216.58.210.142): icmp_req=5 ttl=56 time=19.7 ms
    64 bytes from mad06s09-in-f142.1e100.net (216.58.210.142): icmp_req=6 ttl=56 time=26.9 ms
    c^C
    --- google.com ping statistics ---
    6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 5005ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 17.591/19.903/26.920/3.211 ms
    root@microserver:/#

• Deine Bilder sind sehr klein!
    You have to change the sources.list

https://github.com/Wolf2000Pi

OMV6 Hewlett-Packard HPE-411at - Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz - 16GB Ram

Proxmox omv 7 sandworm Dell OptiPlex 7050 i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz - 32GB Ram (Test!!!!)

• Deine Bilder sind sehr klein!
    You have to change the sources.list

Hello @Wolf2000,

I have never changed source.list, why is that not correct?

I put the new one you gave me but still having the same error when trying to apt-clean:

• Hello again,

I disabled the “VDR” repository that was blocking (“e-tobi”) and then the apt-clean executed correctly. Then, I was able to execute a “check for updates”. But when trying to upgrade it failed:

• Hey guys,

I am really sorry to insist but this is pissing me off. Something is just not going right.
    I tryed to restore my “August 2017” image and I was able to disable a lot of repositorys that I wasn’t using, and then executed succesfully “apt-clean” from the web.
    Then, I tryed to check updates from the GUI and not errors but no updates available either....which surprised me since my image if from August.

I tryed then to configure the “source.list” provided by @Wolf2000 but I am then getting the same error from my snapshot above (“E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages”)

@ryecoaaron , @tekkb any idea?

I have been using OMV for 2 or 3 years now and I thought I had a system pretty stable until now...

Thank you in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of: apt-get -f install

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for replying @ryecoaaron,

Do you confirm the source.list provided by @Wolf2000 is the right one? Because I never changed mine until today and I think we are supposed to...right? I installed OMV and never changed the source.list except to include the webmin which I disabled after an issue with the “updates” in the past.

This is the output:

root@microserver:/# apt-get -f install
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 544 not upgraded.
    root@microserver:/#

• Offizieller Beitrag

No. Those sources are for OMV 4.x. I didn't see anything wrong with your original sources. And if you want to add repos in the future, either add them in omv-extras or add them to their own file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/. You should never add a repo to sources.list. That sarge line was a bad idea to since it is soooo old. I would change your repos back to what you had minus the cdrom, webmin, and sarge lines. Then post the output of omv-aptclean.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• All right,

Thanks @ryecoaaron,

So, back to my original source.list:

deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
    deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main

deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

# wheezy-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
    deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free

Here you have the result of omv apt clean which seems to execute correctly.

So, it seems ok now, I just don’t have any update but I don’t see this as something going wrong right?

1. Cleaning apt cache files...

2. Clearing available dpkg packages...

3. Removing apt lists...
    removed `/var/lib/apt/lists/_var_cache_openmediavault_archives_Packages'
    removed `/var/lib/apt/lists/dh2k.omv-extras.org_debian_dists_plex-wheezy-mirror_Release'
    removed `/var/lib/apt/lists/dh2k.omv-extras.org_debian_dists_plex-wheezy-mirror_Release.gpg'
    removed `/var/lib/apt/lists/dh2k.omv-extras.org_debian_dists_plex-wheezy-mirror_main_binary-amd64_Packages'
    removed `/var/lib/apt/lists/dh2k.omv-extras.org_debian_dists_stoneburner-miller_Release'

4. Purging internal cache ...

5. Removing OpenMediaVault cache packages...
    removed `/var/cache/openmediavault/archives/Packages'

6. Creating new OpenMediaVault packages file...

7. Updating apt...
    Ign file: Release.gpg
    Ign file: Release
    Ign file: Translation-en

Creating index of upgradeable packages ...
    Creating index of openmediavault plugins ...
    Fetched 17.4 MB in 10s (1669 kB/s)
    Reading package lists...
    Done...

• Offizieller Beitrag

No updates means there is none to install. That isn't bad. You are still on OMV 2.x which is Debian Wheezy that is barely maintained anymore. So, you won't see many updates.

• No updates means there is none to install. That isn't bad. You are still on OMV 2.x which is Debian Wheezy that is barely maintained anymore. So, you won't see many updates.

Thanks @ryecoaaron,

This post was opened because I was getting some weird error when trying to refresh and get “updates”. I resolved it by restoring a previews clonezilla image today... which is not real solution but I guess it works:

The error was:

Error #4000:exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; apt-get update 2>&1': E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open

I will edit the post as “resolved” but I would like to take the occasion you are around to ask: is there any tutorial to upgrade to the last OMV stable release without impact? :)

Thanks again!

• Offizieller Beitrag

is there any tutorial to upgrade to the last OMV stable release without impact

The tutorial to upgrade is: omv-release-upgrade

To upgrade "without impact" is very difficult from OMV 2.x to 3.x. Impossible to write a tutorial for everything that could go wrong. I recommend a fresh install. But since you have a backup, you can always try it. If it goes badly, restore from backup.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!