Is ZFS supported in Kernel 4.13-4.15?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just built the zfs 0.7.9 packages from debian sid and uploaded to omv-extras 4.x testing repos. These are working on my test VM with the 4.16 kernel. I didn't test against the 4.14 or 4.15 kernel though.

That's kind of a relief. If 4.16 will work (eventually), great.

I've built OMV4 a few times on real hardware, installed the kernel headers, didn't install the 4.16 update, pinned the 4.14 kernel in OMV-Extras, and the ZFS plugin insisted on building a module for the 4.16 kernel, regardless. All attempts ended in an error like @hoppel118's above.

• Offizieller Beitrag

the ZFS plugin insisted on building a module for the 4.16 kernel, regardless

Because we didn't want to specify specific versions of headers (nightmare to maintain), the zfs plugin depends on linux-headers-amd64 which is a meta package that Debian points to the newest kernel. So, the plugin will always install them which will make it install the linux-image-amd64 meta package as well. The only true way around this is disable backports in /etc/default/openmediavault and use the 4.9 kernel from the standard repo. This will use linux-image-amd64 and linux-headers-amd64 from the standard repo which is the 4.9 kernel and headers.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The only true way around this is disable backports in /etc/default/openmediavault and use the 4.9 kernel from the standard repo. This will use linux-image-amd64 and linux-headers-amd64 from the standard repo which is the 4.9 kernel and headers.

Would using kernel 4.9 in stretch have detrimental affects on the rest of OMV4's packages (specifically Samba)? I can't see the Dev's of various packages making immediate use of new kernel abilities.

I'm not looking for a definitive answer, - just a best guess.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would using kernel 4.9 in stretch have detrimental affects on the rest of OMV4's packages (specifically Samba)?

Packages? I can't think of one that would be affected. Hardware support? Yes. btrfs? yes. The kernel has nothing to do with samba.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Packages? I can't think of one that would be affected. Hardware support? Yes. btrfs? yes.The kernel has nothing to do with samba.

You mean Samba will run without the kernel?? 8o Just kidding... :D My test hardware is the humble kind. (Older stuff.)
    BTRFS - nothing to miss there. Prediction - all good by kernel 5.0.

But, I must have something else going on. Even with kernel 4.9.0, the ZFS plugin is still attempting to install 0.7.9 and it stops with an endless Error. It's time to start over and sift through the details.

• I got my zfs back in 16 kernel but when forcing the mount of my pool my pool is empty :-((((

Only my folders are there but nothing in it

root@nas:/onepool# ls *
    docker:

downloads:
    deluge transmission

kids:

movies:

music:

photos:

series:

timemachine:

videos:

Weird thin is it says:

root@nas:~# zfs list
    NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
    onepool 1.22T 2.29T 1.22T /onepool

so nothing but still 1.22T in use, i most forget something

• I just built the zfs 0.7.9 packages from debian sid and uploaded to omv-extras 4.x testing repos. These are working on my test VM with the 4.16 kernel. I didn't test against the 4.14 or 4.15 kernel though.

Just to be sure... Whats the right way to upgrade to your latest zfs packages?

Tonight my omv4 informed me about your zfs packages:

1. I searched for the latest kernels:

2. I installed the latest kernel:

Again I see the following message. But this is fine.

Code
    /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms:
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.16.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.7.6/build/make.log for more information.

3. I checked to have the latest kernel headers:

Code
    root@omv4:~# apt-get install linux-headers-amd64
    Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
    Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
    Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
    linux-headers-amd64 ist schon die neueste Version (4.16+93~bpo9+1).
    0 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 8 nicht aktualisiert.

What do I have to now? Is the following the right way?

4. Reboot to the latest kernel 4.16
    5. Install the new zfs packages
    6. Maybe another Reboot is needed

If this steps go wrong, is it still possible to load kernel 4.15 with the at moment installed zfs 0.76 modules? Or isn't it possible, because the 0.7.9-2 zfs packages overwrite the 0.7.6 modules?

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

But, I must have something else going on. Even with kernel 4.9.0, the ZFS plugin is still attempting to install 0.7.9 and it stops with an endless Error. It's time to start over and sift through the details.

If you disable the omv-extras testing repo, it won't install the 0.7.9 packages.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What do I have to now? Is the following the right way?

4. Reboot to the latest kernel 4.16
    5. Install the new zfs packages
    6. Maybe another Reboot is needed

Sounds ok to me.

• Thanks @ryecoaaron. What about my last question?

If this steps go wrong, is it still possible to load kernel 4.15 with the at moment installed zfs 0.76 modules? Or isn't it possible, because the 0.7.9-2 zfs packages overwrite the 0.7.6 modules?

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you disable the omv-extras testing repo, it won't install the 0.7.9 packages.

With a fresh build, it's fixed and working on test hardware. I'm running kernel 4.9.0 with OMV4. ZFS 0.7.9-2 (ZFS pool ver 5000, ZFS filesystem ver 5) installed and runs fine. (I created a new pool, I didn't import anything.)
    ____________________________________________________________________________

For others who may want to go this route, on a new build, the process was:

(In upgrade management, don't install the 4.16 kernel.)
    Install OMV extra's and enable the testing repo.

Add;
    OMV_APT_USE_KERNEL_BACKPORTS="no" to /etc/default/openmediavault
    omv-mkconf apt

apt-get update

apt-get install linux-image-amd64=4.9+80+deb9u4
    reboot

select the 4.9 kernel as the default kernel, in OMV extras.

reboot and recheck that the default kernel is now 4.9

apt-get purge linux-image-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
    reboot

Install the OMV4 ZFS plugin.

• Guys, I have a problem since the last time I reboot my NAS: when I go into the ZFS plug-in I recieve this errors:

Code
    root@delibird:~# /sbin/modprobe zfs
    modprobe: FATAL: Module zfs not found in directory /lib/modules/4.16.0-0.bpo.1-amd64

Did I again updated the kernel without noticing and broke the compatibility? T_T The kernel 4.16 is not compatible yer? :(

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

What about my last question?

The 4.15 kernel and 0.7.6 zfs packages work together but not with the plugin.

• FML, I did it again .-. I read the latest post, and update enabled the testing repo. After installing the latest zfs plug-in from the testing repo can I disabling it again?

Edit: updated everything, but the ZFS partition is still not mounted :(
    Edit2: deleted the partition from the plug- in, exported and imported it again from CLI, now I can see that the FS is mounted but if I go into "shared folder" it doesn't appear in the list of devices :(

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Blabla ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

After installing the latest zfs plug-in from the testing repo can I disabling it again?

Sure.

• Oh. If they aren’t in the drop down it may be possible that you’re experiencing the current ZFS bug.

See: ZFS device(s) not listed in devices dropdown

As for the kernel, you can either move back to 4.15 or use the testing repo for the latest ZFS.

It might be worth you freezing the kernel on version 4.15. In fact, anyone who doesn’t absolutely need the latest kernel can [should?] do this:

Code
    apt-mark hold linux-image-amd64

This will freeze the kernel version, by preventing the meta package from installing the latest version.

Once 4.16 is known to work, unfreeze:

Code
    apt-mark unhold linux-image-amd64

Update, then freeze again.

@ryecoaaron would it be possible to add a freeze/unfreeze checkbox etc to the extras kernel tab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Offizieller Beitrag

would it be possible to add a freeze/unfreeze checkbox etc to the extras kernel tab?

Probably. I guess I should make something to enable/disable backports as well.

• Offizieller Beitrag

would it be possible to add a freeze/unfreeze checkbox etc to the extras kernel tab?

The 4.1.7 version of omv-extras has buttons to hold/unhold the current kernel/headers (linux-image-$arch and linux-headers-$arch) and disable/enable the backports repo.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!