Is ZFS supported in Kernel 4.13-4.15?

• What Kernel are you guys using with ZFS in OMV 4? My previous kernel of 4.4.67-1-pve does not work anymore after the upgrade. Nor do any of the 4.9.0.0 bpo 1-6, or 4.9.0.6. That's all I have in my list, none work with ZFS. The other version your guys mentioned I don't even have show up.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What Kernel are you guys using with ZFS in OMV 4? My previous kernel of 4.4.67-1-pve does not work. Nor do any of the 4.9.0.0 bpo 1-6, or 4.9.0.6. That's all I have in my list, none work with ZFS. The other version your guys mentioned I don't even have show up.

All of those kernels work with zfs (especially the proxmox kernel). You probably don't have the kernel headers installed.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• All of those kernels work with zfs (especially the proxmox kernel). You probably don't have the kernel headers installed.

Almost got it working but one more hurdle remains, this is what I did.

Proxmox would not install and "apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)" would give error messages the the linux-header package was not available
    I ran "apt-get upgrade" and "apt-get dist-upgrade" which ended up installing the 4.15 kernel
    Then it let me run "apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)" to install the kernel header on 4.15
    Rebooted, and my ZFS pools imported correctly
    Then I noticed the Shared Folders were still N/A for "device"
    I wanted to re-create, however the ZFS pools don't show up under devices anymore therefore I cannot create a Shared Folder.

Very odd, any suggestions? They show up on the File System and they are mounted.

• You should always do an apt-get update before you install something otherwise you don’t have the most recent available package list. If you didn’t do this after altering your sources, apt would not have known the headers were available - hence your error.

Do not use dist-upgrade on your OMV system. You run the risk of moving to a newer version of Debian, when released. At present it’s fine because you’re on the latest available stable version, but it might not have been - if you’d issued that command when Debian 10 was released, you’d be looking at a broken system right now. OMV has its own upgrade path that you should utilise when available.

The problem you are seeing with the ZFS not showing as available in the shared folder lists is detailed here: ZFS device(s) not listed in devices dropdown and is being worked on. If you compile from git, you can get the fixes now.

You could try adding a file system to the pool as Henkall suggested and see if it makes a difference, but in my case it didn’t.

• Hi guys,

today my omv informed me about new kernel header packages. So I did the following:

One package was hold back, but I tried to install it and its dependencies:

I saw the last lines:

Code
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.16.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.7.6/build/make.log for more information.
    linux-headers-amd64 (4.16+93~bpo9+1) wird eingerichtet ...

Here is the output of the file "/var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.7.6/build/make.log": https://pastebin.com/WkqZgBp8

zfs-0.7.6 is Debian Stretch default at the moment. So I had a look at GitHub and learned that zfs-0.7.6 is compatible with kernels from 2.6.32 to 4.15: https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/releases/tag/zfs-0.7.6

To use kernel 4.16 we need to get zfs-0.7.8 first: https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/releases/tag/zfs-0.7.8

So, at the moment it's not possible to use kernel 4.16 with zfs under omv4 without compiling zfs-0.7.8 by your own.

The title of this thread needs to be changed. ;)

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

The 4.16 kernel was released yesterday. Nothing we can do until 0.7.8 is in the repo. Just don't upgrade to the 4.16 kernel until then.

• HI, I've installed 4.16 (I'm using ZFS). I've just seen this post.
    Fortunately I've not rebooted the system, and I' m still running 4.14.

Can anybody point me how to 'downgrade' to 4.14 ?

Regards

OMV 4.x. OMV-Extras ZFS iSCSI Infiniband. Testing OMV 5.1. Testing OMV arm64

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can anybody point me how to 'downgrade' to 4.14 ?

You don't need to downgrade. Just the set the 4.14 kernel to be the default kernel in the omv-extras kernel tab. You might run into issue if you upgrade other packages that use a compiled kernel module though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• yeah it didn't help changing back to in my case 4.15 kernel still getting zfs errors.

root@nas:~# uname -a
    Linux nas 4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.15.11-1~bpo9+1 (2018-04-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux

root@nas:~# zfs status
    The ZFS modules are not loaded.
    Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them.
    root@nas:~# /sbin/modprobe zfs
    modprobe: FATAL: Module zfs not found in directory /lib/modules/4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

• That’s the kernel you were on before? Did you purge after you upgraded? The module should still be there.

Do you have several choices in the drop down? Are you sure it’s the 4.15 kernel?

You could try installing headers [again?]:

Code
    apt install linux-headers-amd64

What does this result in? You’ll probably have to modprobe ZFS afterwards, or reboot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• @ryecoaaron
    Thanks, In my case, marking 4.14 as default, and rebooting, worked. Everything is there...

You might run into issue if you upgrade other packages that use a compiled kernel module though.

Not sure what you state here. Can you give some example of what I should not have to do/upgrade ?

OMV 4.x. OMV-Extras ZFS iSCSI Infiniband. Testing OMV 5.1. Testing OMV arm64

• I went back to 14 still sawe problem

root@nas:~# uname -a
    Linux nas 4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.14.13-1~bpo9+1 (2018-01-14) x86_64 GNU/Linux

When trying to install the headers it seems to search for 16 dependency while i am on 14 now

root@nas:~# apt install linux-headers-amd64
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    linux-headers-amd64 : Depends: linux-headers-4.16.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

• I booted back to 16 as i was curious if i had same header issue there and yes i did trying to install it i get the following problem

root@nas:~# apt install linux-headers-amd64
    Building dependency tree

linux-headers-amd64 : Depends: linux-headers-4.16.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 but it is not going to be installed
    root@nas:~# apt install linux-headers-4.16.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
    Building dependency tree

linux-headers-4.16.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 : Depends: linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86 (>= 4.14.17-1~) but 4.9.88-1+deb9u1 is to be installed
    root@nas:~# apt install linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86
    Building dependency tree
    linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86 is already the newest version (4.9.88-1+deb9u1).
    linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86 set to manually installed.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

So on 16 i am also not able to install the headers as it wants a compiler newer or equal to 4.14 but 4.9.88 is installed ?

Now i am stucked as i am also not able to compile zfs manually for the 16 kernel without the header install.

EDIT: Do i need to go to the stretch backports to get higher version little weird or not?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just built the zfs 0.7.9 packages from debian sid and uploaded to omv-extras 4.x testing repos. These are working on my test VM with the 4.16 kernel. I didn't test against the 4.14 or 4.15 kernel though.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!