Is ZFS supported in Kernel 4.13-4.15?

• Offizieller Beitrag

0.7.4 is now in Debian SID and 0.7.5 has been just released with some minor fixes. Coming soon on Debian SID. (Maybe end of this week, early next week)

0.7.4 add support for 4.14 Kernel which is important when backports update the kernel to 4.14.

I've been following progress. I just uploaded the 0.7.4 versions of all of the zfs and spl packages.

• Hello guys,

yesterday I got the following message from my omv4 machine:

So there is the new 4.14 kernel available. At the moment I am at kernel 4.9:

Code
    root@omv4:~# uname -a
    Linux omv4 4.9.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.65-3+deb9u1 (2017-12-23) x86_64 GNU/Linux

• Is this new 4.14 kernel compatible with zfs?
    • What is the correct upgrade path?

Thanks and greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this new 4.14 kernel compatible with zfs?

I upgraded my test box to the 4.14 kernel and zfs works fine. dkms should compile a new module for the new kernel.

What is the correct upgrade path?

Install the updates from the web interface.

• OK, it works! I did the following steps:

• installed the new kernel
    • activated the omv-extras.org testing repo ( ryecoaaron I read in another post that you maintain the latest zfs packages in your repo)
    • did an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
    • installed the new zfs packages

Everthing works as expected. A nice side effect is that my dvb card "digitital devices max s8" works out-of-the-box since kernel 4.14. PERFECT!

Here are some system information:

Kernel Version:

Code
    Linux omv4 4.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.14.7-1~bpo9+1 (2017-12-22) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Openmediavault Package Versions:

Code
    root@omv4:~# dpkg -l | grep openmediavault
    ii  openmediavault                      4.0.15-1                       all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-clamav               4.1.4-1                        all          OpenMediaVault ClamAV plugin
    ii  openmediavault-docker-gui           4.0.1                          all          OpenMediaVault plugin for Docker
    ii  openmediavault-keyring              1.0                            all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii  openmediavault-omvextrasorg         4.1.2                          all          OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    ii  openmediavault-zfs                  4.0                            amd64        OpenMediaVault plugin for ZFS

ZFS Package Versions:

zpool status:

"zpool status" shows that there are some new features available. Before I do the upgrade of my pool, I will need more time for tests with omv4.

At the moment everything seems to work as expected. Great job!

Thank you @ryecoaaron

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hi,

I see that most people activate the testing repo of the extras, is this needed?
    As i only have the stable repo active and i am running ZFS plugin.

Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I see that most people activate the testing repo of the extras, is this needed?

It was mandatory if you were using the 4.14 kernel. Now, it is optional.

• is ZFS compatible with OMV4? If I install OMV4 on a SD card it will be able to use the ZFS mirror I made with OMV3 without the risk to lose my data?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Hello @Blabla,

yes, zfs is compatible to omv4.

Code
    root@omv4:~# cat /etc/debian_version
    Code
    Linux omv4 4.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.14.7-1~bpo9+1 (2017-12-22) x86_64 GNU/Linux

You have the choice to upgrade your pool:

Until omv4 gets stable I won't do the suggested upgrade on my pool, because I don't know if it's possible to use an upgraded pool under omv3. I don't think that I will get back to omv3 ever, but who knows... ;)

Greetings Hoppel

• Just to be clear: I don't want to upgrade! I'll make a new installation from the scratch :)

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• doublepost...

• I installed omv4 on another ssd to have the possibility to switch between omv3 and omv4. omv4 is still beta. This is my production system at home. ;)

There were no problems in the setup procedure or in daily use. Everything works really, really smooth since more than a month. No need to get back to omv3 until now. ;)

I use two docker container (emby and unifi) under omv4, both work as expected with docker ce, which I also used with omv3.

The pool didn’t autoimport, but it was only one click in the webui of the plugin.

Greetings Hoppel

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• I upgraded one of my boxes from the command line using omv-release-upgrade and all has been working well. I don't remember if I had to go to the ZFS tab in the web UI and import them again, but I did remove the drives for the upgrade.. I expect I probably did since hoppel mentioned above that he had to... I didn't remove any plugins, I just checked the ones I used were listed in OMV extras 4.

A fresh install of OMV 4 on a Stretch installation with the backports 4.14 kernel is also working well. Just make sure contrib is in your sources. :)

• Guys I installed OMV4, now how can I add my ZFS Mirror to OMV? Should I use import? Because If I try to use Add it doesn't show me the hard drives

• Great! I added them :) Thanks for the help!

• As flmaxey said, import is to see your previously created tank(s). The tank is there on your drives, it just needs, well... importing!

It’s also good practice to export a tank if moving it to another system (including fresh install). This changes the tanks metadata and puts it into a ‘dormant’ state making sure it’s not being used by anything else.

If you forget though and you know nothing else is using it (ie. you shut down, remove tank drives, fresh os install then replug tank drives), you can always use the -f flag via the import command to force the import. I think there is also a switch in OMV for this. It can be dangerous though if you don’t know for sure the tank isn’t being used elsewhere.

The following kind of goes against the ease of use that OMV is designed to provide, but you can also:

Code
    zpool import Tank

From the terminal then go to the ZFS tab in OMV and it will pop up with the yellow banner and ask if you want to save changes. Do this and OMV will accept the tank.

To force an import for whatever reason (please do make sure you understand why you might be doing this and that the pool is definitely not in use elsewhere) you would:

Code
    zpool import -f Tank

Then visit the ZFS tab in OMV. You will usually know if you need to force an import as ZFS will throw an error warning that the tank was not exported.

I really must stress though, that unless you know what you are doing, the -f switch shouldn’t just be used haphazardly.

I tend to do a lot of my ZFS stuff from the command line and use the plugin for a quick overview of my pools - and probably the most useful thing about the plugin is that it’s a one click ZFS setup. Shame Debian doesn’t follow in Ubuntu’s footsteps and include ZFS in their main repos. Yes I know it’s a grey area but Ubuntu seem to have managed ok so far.

On a different ZFS note, users of parted magic and ZFS will be thrilled to know that parted magic comes with ZFS support out the box! I booted into parted magic to make an image of a fresh server install, and noticed that it had imported the tank on that box. I’m sure this is a breach of the GPL having CDDL code included with it but then so is charging for a bunch of GPL stuff you didn’t code and simply ‘arranged’ nicely. In an ideal world it would be great if all concerned at Oracle would just change the ZFS license to GPL.. but I think BTRFS has more chance of getting stable RAID 5/6 and non-sucky VM performance before we ever see the day that happens :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Just a question: is this error during installation normal?

• Haha. Those lurkers are more than welcome to run their VMs from their RAID 5/6’s. I just hope they have backups. Apart from that, BTRFS is very promising. It’s just still not mature enough and I don’t like the way it’s commands and output are designed. ZFS also wins for me presently because I have a lot of Macs in my setup and BTRFS support really needs to be ported to OSX and Windows.

Edit: resizable pools, pause-able scrubs, defragmentation and native OTB Linux support are massive plus points though (to list a few).

If BTRFS fixed RAID 5/6, got better VM support and was ported to OS X, I’d probably switch. But that isn’t going to happen. :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Just a question: is this error during installation normal?

Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. I bet Contrib is not in your sources! This will cause it to fail every time.

In terminal do this:

Code
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list

you should have something like this:

Note the contrib after main. You should also have headers installed. (oops, just noticed you have).

Edit your sources with:

Code
    nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Add the word 'contrib' after main on each line that has main written in it. Then press Control-X, Y, then enter.

Then:

Code
    apt update

Then try the plug-in again.

If you get an error when trying to apt update/install do:

Code
    apt install -f

Then:

Code
    apt update

And install plug-in again.

I'm actually looking forward to when it (BTRFS) is stable. Of the CoW file systems, it's the only one that supports shrinking an array and I read something about about being able to removing a disk from a RAID 5/6 array (assuming the remaining disks meet the minimum number and can house the data). If a disk removal process is possible, that's a heck of a feature.

However, what I got from the project mailing list and errata:
    Since BTRFS is mixed in with kernel development, (the downside to "native support"), it might be awhile before the fixes make it out to users. So,, for my purposes, I went with ZFS. So far, it's has been flawless.

Yes, this was a major factor in my decision too.

• Thanks a lot for your answer :) even if I got that error the plug-in was installed and now it's working. Do you suggest to uninstall it, correct the source file and then reinstall it?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!