Is ZFS supported in Kernel 4.13-4.15?

• OMV 4.x
    • Resolved
    • Upgrade 3.x -> 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• hoppel118 wrote:

What do I have to now? Is the following the right way?

4. Reboot to the latest kernel 4.16
      5. Install the new zfs packages
      6. Maybe another Reboot is needed
      Sounds ok to me.
      omv 4.1.7 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.16 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.7
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Thanks @ryecoaaron. What about my last question?

hoppel118 wrote:

If this steps go wrong, is it still possible to load kernel 4.15 with the at moment installed zfs 0.76 modules? Or isn't it possible, because the 0.7.9-2 zfs packages overwrite the 0.7.6 modules?

Greetings Hoppel
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      frontend software - android tv | libreelec | win10 | kodi krypton
      frontend hardware - nvidia shield tv | odroid c2 | yamaha rx-a1020 | quadral chromium style 5.1 | samsung le40-a789r2 | harmony smart control
      -------------------------------------------
      backend software - debian | kernel 4.4 lts | proxmox | openmediavault | zfs raid-z2 | docker | emby | vdr | vnsi | fhem
      backend hardware - supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x4tb wd red | digital devices max s8
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

flmaxey wrote:

But, I must have something else going on. Even with kernel 4.9.0, the ZFS plugin is still attempting to install 0.7.9 and it stops with an endless Error. It's time to start over and sift through the details.
      If you disable the omv-extras testing repo, it won't install the 0.7.9 packages.
      With a fresh build, it's fixed and working on test hardware. I'm running kernel 4.9.0 with OMV4. ZFS 0.7.9-2 (ZFS pool ver 5000, ZFS filesystem ver 5) installed and runs fine. (I created a new pool, I didn't import anything.)
      ____________________________________________________________________________

For others who may want to go this route, on a new build, the process was:

(In upgrade management, don't install the 4.16 kernel.)
      Install OMV extra's and enable the testing repo.

Add;
      OMV_APT_USE_KERNEL_BACKPORTS="no" to /etc/default/openmediavault
      omv-mkconf apt

apt-get update

apt-get install linux-image-amd64=4.9+80+deb9u4
      reboot

select the 4.9 kernel as the default kernel, in OMV extras.

reboot and recheck that the default kernel is now 4.9

apt-get purge linux-image-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
      reboot

Install the OMV4 ZFS plugin.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.99 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• Guys, I have a problem since the last time I reboot my NAS: when I go into the ZFS plug-in I recieve this errors:

Source Code

1. Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; zfs list -H -t snapshot -o name,used,refer 2>&1' with exit code '1': The ZFS modules are not loaded. Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them.
      2. Error #0:
      3. OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; zfs list -H -t snapshot -o name,used,refer 2>&1' with exit code '1': The ZFS modules are not loaded.
      4. Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:175
      5. Stack trace:
      6. #0 /usr/share/omvzfs/Utils.php(408): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array, 1)
      7. #1 /usr/share/omvzfs/Utils.php(366): OMVModuleZFSUtil::exec('zfs list -H -t ...', Array, 1)
      8. #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/zfs.inc(195): OMVModuleZFSUtil::getAllSnapshots()
      9. #3 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceZFS->getAllSnapshots(Array, Array)
      10. #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
      11. #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getAllSnapshots', Array, Array)
      12. #6 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('ZFS', 'getAllSnapshots', Array, Array, 1)
      13. #7 {main}
      Display All

Source Code

1. root@delibird:~# /sbin/modprobe zfs
      2. modprobe: FATAL: Module zfs not found in directory /lib/modules/4.16.0-0.bpo.1-amd64

Did I again updated the kernel without noticing and broke the compatibility? T_T The kernel 4.16 is not compatible yer? :(
      Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - 2x4TB WD RED in RAID1 - ZFS Mirror 2x6TB Seagate Ironwolf
      OMV 4.1.4 - Kernel 4.14 backport 3 - omvextrasorg 4.1.2
    • hoppel118 wrote:

What about my last question?
      The 4.15 kernel and 0.7.6 zfs packages work together but not with the plugin.
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

• ellnic wrote:

/lib/modules/4.16.0-0.bpo.1-amd64

Yup. You’re on 4.16 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      FML, I did it again .-. I read the latest post, and update enabled the testing repo. After installing the latest zfs plug-in from the testing repo can I disabling it again?

Edit: updated everything, but the ZFS partition is still not mounted :(
      Edit2: deleted the partition from the plug- in, exported and imported it again from CLI, now I can see that the FS is mounted but if I go into "shared folder" it doesn't appear in the list of devices :(
      Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - 2x4TB WD RED in RAID1 - ZFS Mirror 2x6TB Seagate Ironwolf
      OMV 4.1.4 - Kernel 4.14 backport 3 - omvextrasorg 4.1.2

The post was edited 2 times, last by Blabla ().

• Blabla wrote:

After installing the latest zfs plug-in from the testing repo can I disabling it again?
      Sure.

• Is ZFS supported in Kernel 4.13-4.15?

Oh. If they aren’t in the drop down it may be possible that you’re experiencing the current ZFS bug.

See: ZFS device(s) not listed in devices dropdown

As for the kernel, you can either move back to 4.15 or use the testing repo for the latest ZFS.

It might be worth you freezing the kernel on version 4.15. In fact, anyone who doesn’t absolutely need the latest kernel can [should?] do this:

Source Code

1. apt-mark hold linux-image-amd64

This will freeze the kernel version, by preventing the meta package from installing the latest version.

Once 4.16 is known to work, unfreeze:

Source Code

1. apt-mark unhold linux-image-amd64

Update, then freeze again.

@ryecoaaron would it be possible to add a freeze/unfreeze checkbox etc to the extras kernel tab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • ellnic wrote:

would it be possible to add a freeze/unfreeze checkbox etc to the extras kernel tab?
      Probably. I guess I should make something to enable/disable backports as well.

• New

ellnic wrote:

would it be possible to add a freeze/unfreeze checkbox etc to the extras kernel tab?
      The 4.1.7 version of omv-extras has buttons to hold/unhold the current kernel/headers (linux-image-$arch and linux-headers-$arch) and disable/enable the backports repo.

• New

Hi back from holiday trying to solve my problem anyone have an idea why the folders are empty of my pool but the pool size still suggests the data is there

root@nas:~# zfs list
      NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
      onepool 1.22T 2.29T 1.22T /onepool
      root@nas:~# cd /onepool
      root@nas:/onepool# ls
      docker downloads kids movies music photos series timemachine videos
      root@nas:/onepool# ls *
      docker:
      downloads:
      deluge transmission
      kids:
      movies:
      music:
      photos:
      series:
      timemachine:
      videos:

root@nas:/onepool# uname -a
      Linux nas 4.16.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.16.5-1~bpo9+1 (2018-05-06) x86_64 GNU/Linux

or how can i get back to my old situation without reinstalling OMV.

Thanks

EDIT:

Removed zfs plugin, moved back to 15 kernel and reboot
      Disabled test repo
      When trying to install zfs plugin get error

Setting up openmediavault-zfs (4.0.2-1) ...
      modprobe: FATAL: Module zfs not found in directory /lib/modules/4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
      dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-zfs (--configure):
      subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
      Processing triggers for openmediavault (4.1.6) ...
      locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
      locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
      Restarting engine daemon ...
      Errors were encountered while processing:
      openmediavault-zfs
      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

root@nas:~# zfs list
      The ZFS modules are not loaded.
      Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them.
      root@nas:~# /sbin/modprobe zfs
      modprobe: FATAL: Module zfs not found in directory /lib/modules/4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
      root@nas:~# uname -a
      Linux nas 4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.15.11-1~bpo9+1 (2018-04-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux

How can i get zfs to work again on 15 kernel?

The post was edited 1 time, last by ArmandH ().

• New

Probably because you don't have the Kernel headers installed for that version of the Kernel. It's essential, as they allow the building of modules. The headers change as the Kernel changes, so they would normally be updated as the Kernel is updated. I'd imagine that because you've been jumping around a bit, they've been removed somehow.

With that said, the Debian repos are only listing one package matching 4.15 headers right now.. not sure why, when there are lots for 4.14 and 4.16: packages.debian.org/stretch-backports/kernel/

Try this:

Source Code

1. apt search linux-headers-$(uname -r)

See if you get results.

Then try this:

Source Code

1. apt install -t stretch-backports linux-headers-$(uname -r)
      Then if that succeeds, reinstall the plugin to make sure the module is built:

Source Code

1. apt install --reinstall openmediavault-zfs

You probably won't need this but you can then reboot or:

Source Code

1. modprobe zfs

Joy? :)

After you get this working, I would highly suggest holding the kernel using the modifications that @ryecoaaron has added to the OMV extras tab.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ellnic ().

• New

@ellnic thanks for your help, but this is the result:

root@nas:~# apt search linux-headers-$(uname -r)
      Sorting... Done
      Full Text Search... Done
      root@nas:~#

root@nas:~# apt install -t stretch-backports linux-headers-$(uname -r)
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
      E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64'
      E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64'
      root@nas:~#

EDIT: on debian site i found this:

There is no maintainer for linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64. This means that this package no longer exists (or never existed). Please do not report new bugs against this package

The post was edited 1 time, last by ArmandH: update ().

• New

Hrm... Well, it was there as I'm using 4.15 and it wasn't long ago that we were discussing here about the headers being manually installed for 4.15. I can only think that it's been removed due to some bug. I don't really follow the kernel news but the Debian team wouldn't have ditched it without good reason.

So, from here your choices are: Move back to 4.14 or go to 4.16.

Let's go 4.14 if you have no objections:

-------OOPS, hang on editing-----

Then select it from OMV Extras GUI and reboot. After that issue the same commands as above. Starting at:

That should get you up and running.

Can't find 4.14 either.

@ryecoaaron am I just being dumb, or have the 4.14 and 4.15 kernels disappeared from the repos?

I can only see 4.9 in stretch and 4.16 in backports?

The post was edited 1 time, last by ellnic ().

• New

@ellnic thanks again i went back to 4.9 and installed the headers and reinstalled the zfs plugin that went all good now.

root@nas:~# zpool list
      NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
      onepool 3.62T 1.22T 2.41T - 12% 33% 1.00x ONLINE -

root@nas:~# cd /onepool
      root@nas:/onepool# ls
      docker downloads kids movies music photos series timemachine videos
      root@nas:/onepool# cd movies
      root@nas:/onepool/movies# ls
      root@nas:/onepool/movies#

So i have still the same problem as i had on 4.16 can not see my data, all these folders have data and i hope not to loose it, everything was working fine before on 15 till i upgraded to 4.16, now running 4.9.

EDIT: OK i solved it, i didn't check if the zfs pool was mounted trying to mount it revealed that the pool folder was not empty, i have no idea how the same structure ended up there, i deleted it and could mount the pool, can access all data now , happy again.

Thanks to all that helped, specially @ellnic

The post was edited 1 time, last by ArmandH: SOLVED ().

• Users Online 6

1 Member and 5 Guests