Is ZFS supported in Kernel 4.13-4.15?

• thanks for the help! How can I check if those packages are installed? And how can I manually install them?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• I think evertyhing is fine:

Still after installing ZFS, in I go in "import pool" the list is empty and the error "status failed (1) -- /ZFS is not a mountpoint" when I restart my NAS.
    Shuld I use "import all" and/or "force"? or should I boot from kernel 4.14 and then reboot with 4.15?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Blabla ()

• Code
    root@delibird:~# zpool status
    no pools available

Both the hard driver that I used for my ZFS mirror are on. If I go inside "add pool" the list of avaible HDD is empty :(

• The fact that you are getting the “no pools available” would seem to suggest that ZFS is running/working.

What is the output of just:

Code
    zpool import

Note the absence of a tank name, without one it will show you any pools that are available for import.

“Add Pool” in OMV is to create a new pool. Not to import one. Stay away from that, you might inadvertently destroy your pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Ok now I'm confused:

What does it mean? Should I simply change the name of the pool with someting like "zpool import Telefilm | Other" ? Can I change the name of pool later?

• Ok now I'm confused:

What does it mean? Should I simply change the name of the pool with someting like "zpool import Telefilm | Other" ? Can I change the name of pool later?

You shouldn’t need to change the name.

Let’s export the pool then reimport. What happens if you do:

Code
    zpool export Telefilm

Then

Code
    zpool import Telefilm

• Finally! Thanks a lot! I also had to rename the folder before adding it

• Great, you got it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I was just thinking about this thread and its title... please no comments about OCD or getting a life :P Every time it pops up in Tapatalk it stands out because the title is no longer completely valid. Can this be changed? Preferably with a strikethrough or something? Not sure if titles can have strikethrough code, but:

Is ZFS supported in Kernel 4.13 4.14 4.15?

Or if not: Is ZFS supported in Kernel 4.13 / 4.14 / 4.15?

Or: Is ZFS supported in Kernel 4.13 > 4.14 > 4.15?

Or: Is ZFS supported in Kernel 4.13 - 4.15?

Or why not mix it up:

ZFS Support (OMV 4) > Kernels 4.13 - 4.15

It's just that it seems to me that with the option via the OMV web GUI to move back to previous kernels (or indeed, via command line as most users of this thread frequent anyway) that someone may do just that - for whatever reason. We don't want to omit the previous versions - but at the same time a newcomer to the thread may not wish to read through all the pages if they believe it relates to an older kernel than that which they are using.

Right.. probably should do some work now :P

• Offizieller Beitrag

No strikethrough. I did update to fix your OCD :D

• a newcomer to the thread may not wish to read through all the pages if they believe it relates to an older kernel than that which they are using.

That's precisely what I've been having a problem with, and even having read through the whole thread, and tried everything people have suggested, I'm still no closer to getting OMV working with ZFS.

I've tried installing from scratch using 4.1.3 image, the 4.0.14 image and even the 4.0.9 image. I've tried updating /etc/apt/sources.list ; I've tried setting OMV_APT_USE_KERNEL_BACKPORTS but my kernel list only ever shows backport kernels ; I've tried fixing /usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py ; I've even tried omv-mkconf apt ; apt-get update ; dpkg-reconfigure zfs-dkms which worked for my other half, but not for me.

Once, I briefly saw the zfs option appear in the Storage section of the Web interface, but only after I'd just uninstalled openmediavault-zfs and the next page refresh removed it.

If someone has a foolproof method of getting a recent OMV machine installed from scratch with a working ZFS plugin, I would love to see it. But I've tried everything I can and it's just been frustration all the way.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

• When you say 4.1.3 and 4.0.14 I assume you mean 4.13 and 4.14?

The python weakref issue will not be causing any problems with this. It’s a bug and is just responsible for some untidy output. I’ve only just got round to changing the code in weakref on my boxes, because it’s purely cosmetic.

What are the results of:

Code
    uname -a

And

Code
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list

And

Code
    ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

And

Code
    dpkg -l | grep openmediavault

• When you say 4.1.3 and 4.0.14 I assume you mean 4.13 and 4.14?

No, I was talking about install images, from https://sourceforge.net/projects/openmediavault/files/ hence saying "I've tried installing from scratch using 4.1.3 image..."

The big problem seems to be the /etc/apt/sources.list not being populated correctly.

Since I last posted, I've managed to get a branch new VM installed with the 4.0.9 iso image and built openmediavault-zfs 4.0.2-1 on top of it. I'm just going through the same steps on the bare metal server now, so I'll post again soon with my full working procedure.

While I'm at it, I'll gather the requested settings from immediately after a first install, which is where the problems seem to start.

• Directly after installing from the 4.0.9 iso image, I see:

My earlier attempts at installs followed various bit of advice from different parts of this thread, but many appear to be red herrings for the current install image, kernel and openmediavault-zfs version.

The critical thing seems to be the missing "contrib non-free" in /etc/apt/sources.list knowing which errors to ignore, and rebooting at the right time so that dkms builds against the 4.15 kernel rather than trying to build against the 4.13 kernel.

Below is my full procedure, which I've just confirmed as working, complete with abridged error messages as appropriate. It is interesting that after upgrading everything in Update management and then rebooting, I consistently need to do the upgrades a second time.

• Installed fresh OMV 4.0.14 (4.13.0-0.bpo.1-amd64)
    # uname -a
    Linux zirzla 4.13.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.13.13-1~bpo9+1 (2017-11-22) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    # vi /etc/apt/sources.list
    # cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
    # vi /usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py
    :109
    <def remove(wr, selfref=ref(self)): replace with:
    >def remove(wr, selfref=ref(self), _atomic_removal=_remove_dead_weakref):
    :117
    <_remove_dead_weakref(d, wr.key)
    >_atomic_removal(d, wr.key)
    • Update management: Upgrade all
    • Uploaded omvextras and installed in web admin Plugins
    • Rebooted to 4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 kernel
    • Update management: All reappeared again, so did Upgrade all
    • Rebooted
    • Install openmediavault-zfs 4.0.2-1
    Loading new zfs-0.7.6 DKMS files...
    Building for 4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
    Building initial module for 4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
    configure: error:
    *** Please make sure the kmod spl devel <kernel> package for your
    *** distribution is installed then try again. If that fails you
    *** can specify the location of the spl objects with the
    *** '--with-spl-obj=PATH' option. Failed to find spl_config.h in
    *** any of the following:
    /usr/src/spl-0.7.6/4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
    /usr/src/spl-0.7.6
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.7.6/build/make.log for more information.
    Setting up linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (4.15.11-1~bpo9+1) ...
    /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms:
    cp: cannot stat '/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.6/build/spl_config.h': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat '/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.6/build/module/Module.symvers': No such file or directory
    • Services ZFS is now present!

• You beat me to a reply, was just driving home.

The first thing I would have suggested would be to check that contrib was in the sources.

As mentioned earlier, the weakref issue is not related to ZFS and is purely cosmetic.

Appologies about the versioning mix up earlier, I don't use the pre-built OMV images so assumed you were referring to kernel versions, but I would add that Linux kernels are referred to as images, so that wasn't entirely clear cut in my defence. ie. https://packages.debian.org/stretch/linux-image-amd64

I don't mean to second guess you, but based on the output above, you appear to be on kernel 4.15 in the end (earlier on 4.13) but the build seems to fail for 4.15...

Code
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

are you sure you're up and running? Can you actually issue a zpool command from the terminal and get an output from it?

• are you sure you're up and running? Can you actually issue a zpool command from the terminal and get an output from it?

Yup, definitely happily running with those steps. I slipped in a pair of old zfs disks which formed a mirrored pool and they imported as expected. Zpool status returns what I expect, and it successfully completed a scrub earlier.

I prefer to start from a known baseline when trying to work out what is wrong, so I tend to reinstall from scratch rather than try to fix a broken install.

I understand now that weakref is cosmetic, but it doesn't give you confidence that things are going well when an installation ends in an error message, especially if you don't understand what the error means.

As for the error message included in my list of steps, I elided the non error message output before and after it (hence the ellipsis). I've just tried this again, a fresh install in my VM, but the full log is more than the 10k allowed here so I've added it as an attachment. All of the errors seem to be benign.

openmediavault-zfs 4.0.2-1 on omv4.0.14 install log.txt

• Yup, definitely happily running with those steps. I slipped in a pair of old zfs disks which formed a mirrored pool and they imported as expected. Zpool status returns what I expect, and it successfully completed a scrub earlier.

Great. :)

I prefer to start from a known baseline when trying to work out what is wrong, so I tend to reinstall from scratch rather than try to fix a broken install.

Each to their own, but you can get old and grey very quickly that way (and learn less). If you’d posted the output of those commands on your existing install and not a new one, I may have seen something obvious in a second and saved you hours.

I understand now that weakref is cosmetic, but it doesn't give you confidence that things are going well when an installation ends in an error message, especially if you don't understand what the error means.

Yeah I do understand that.

As for the error message included in my list of steps, I elided the non error message output before and after it (hence the ellipsis). I've just tried this again, a fresh install in my VM, but the full log is more than the 10k allowed here so I've added it as an attachment. All of the errors seem to be benign.

I’m glad you’re up and running. Another happy customer ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!