Is ZFS supported in Kernel 4.13-4.15?

• Hi,

first sorry for me english..

Today I upgraded my omv Version from 3.0.90 to 4.0.9-1 (Arrakis).. and this version is running now with Kernel 4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64.
    Now i get the Info for new updates and so i get them and by the way i get Kernel 4.13 and there is now the problem, that ZFS will not run.
    The update Log shows some errors and while build the Kernel 4.13 and the zfs Pool ist not aviable after boot this Kernel.

Here the Log from update..

So i set as prefered Kernel is 4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 because here is ZFS running. Is there no support for 4.13 and ZFS Pool? And can I remove this Kernel so i don`t get updates for the Kernel 4.13?

Regards Manfred

• I have 4.0.9-1 (Arrakis) running in VirtualBox for testing. I wonder what repos you are using, because AFAIK kernel 4.13 is not in stable.

Code
    root@omv-vm:/# apt-cache policy linux-image-amd64
    linux-image-amd64:
    Installed: 4.9+80+deb9u2
    Candidate: 4.9+80+deb9u2
    Version table:
    *** 4.9+80+deb9u2 500
    500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Maybe you've hit this bug: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=877694

• I upgraded again from omv 3.0.90 by using cmd: omv-release-upgrade

After reboot, my zfs pool can`t get mounted..
    I get this Error..
    I hope this can be solved? Now solved

My output

• Output of zfs list and modprobe zfs

Code
    root@openmediavaultnas:~# zfs list
    The ZFS modules are not loaded.
    Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them.

root@openmediavaultnas:~# /sbin/modprobe zfs
    modprobe: FATAL: Module zfs not found in directory /lib/modules/4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

looks like somthing is missing in kernel ?

ASRock C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - 3x WD RED 6TB (ZFS 3x6GB RaidZ1)- Lian Li PC-Q25B Mini-ITX Cube
    omv 4.1.35-1 arrakis | 64 bit |omvextrasorg 4.1.16

• Now, i make the update over webgui and after reboot the zfs pool is aviable.

But i now get again the updates to Version "Installationskandidat: 4.13+86~bpo9+1"
    And when i read, that this kernel is not stable why i get this as update? I think i use stable repos..

ASRock C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - 3x WD RED 6TB (ZFS 3x6GB RaidZ1)- Lian Li PC-Q25B Mini-ITX Cube

• In omv GUI i can see 3 Kernels after Upgrade from 3.x to 4.x and following first update over the omv menu i see the new Kernel`s.
    I`m right that kernel`s with bpo in wording are Backport Kernels? Do i need this kernels ? or can they deleted ?
    What is to do, that i not get updates for these Backportkernels?
    My Updatelist is full with "bpo" Updates

• AFAIK you don't need backport kernels in OMV4, unless it is to get support for a specific hardware config.

But your system booted with 4.0.9-1, so it doesn't seem you need 4.13. Just comment out the backport repo in your apt sources, followed by an apt-get update. Make sure 4.0.9-1 is the running kernel - reboot if necessary - and only then apt-get remove --purge 4.13 kernel and headers.

Check what's installed with something like "dpkg -l | grep linux" and remove the actual 4.13 packages. You can remove other unwanted kernel packages after that if you want to.

Now you've moved to a debian 9 stable base, it's worth keeping one previous working kernel in the same series if and when the next kernel update occurs. Should for any reason the zfs modules do not install, or are buggy, then you can reboot to the previous good known kernel and still access your zpool.

• In my source.list in /etc/apt/source.list

is no bpo source i mean..
    here is the output..

there is no Kernel 4.13 longer avaible... but in WebGUI i got always the *.bpo File for update
    should i install all packages and then remove the Kernel again ?
    But i think it should be possible to change the setting to get no bpo updates longer.. or not?

• i don`t know why i get after apt-get update always

the debian stretch-backports...
    is there so,eting else i must do ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The backports kernel is enabled by default in OMV 4.x just as it is in OMV 3.x. The 4.13 kernel you just installed probably doesn't have the kernel headers it needs to compile the zfs kernel module. What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep linux-

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Here is the output from
    root@openmediavaultnas:~# dpkg -l | grep linux-

• @telecomic

Your package list implies you have removed kernel 4.13, I assume you have access to your zpool now, yes or no?

I don't know how you installed kernel 4.13 on your system. According to ryecoaaron, the directory contains openmeidavault-kernel-backports.list which enables the stretch-backports repo by default. But AFAIK to install kernel 4.13 you'd have to use something like "apt-get install -t stretch-backports linux-image-amd64" to install it. I wouldn't expect it to appear as a possible update via the webUI. Ryecoaaron is right that you need the headers package for kernel 4.13 as well. But I'm afraid that doesn't help as there seems to be a bug in building zfs modules for kernel 4.13 which I referred to earlier in this thread.

If your are using zfs you have to take care when installing new/update kernels. So unless other hardware needs the latest backported kernel, you're probably better off sticking to the most recent stable kernel where are sure you are getting both security updates and a kernel that will allow the dkms zfs moudles to build correctly.

I don't think you have commented out the backport repo yet. Edit etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-kernel-backports.list.

before

Code
    deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main contrib non-free

after

Code
    #deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main contrib non-free

But you might actually not want to do that.

There is another problem here. as you had zfs working on OMV3 and backports repo enabled when moving to in OMV4, your update probably pulled in other zfs related packages updates from the backport repo. eg;

So the question is if you disable the backports repo now, will these bpo packages ever get properly replaced in any future upgrade of the same package from the stable stretch repo. And I can't remember what happens in this case.

Perhaps, @ryecoaaron can remind us what happens in this case, and if you need to go through the process of removing these bpo packages and then re-installing then from stable.

• Hi Krisbee,

yes i have access to the ZFS pool with Kernel linux-image-4.9.0-4-amd64... there is no problem.

But i think if i install the upgrade Package i will get the same error while building the Kernel for 4.13 i posted..
    Here the Log of Kernel built in first Installation if someone need this.

But i understand, i can built new Kernel 4.13.. if fail i can delete the 4.13 kernel incl. headers (But i don`t need the Kernel in the Moment)

So i disable the Line "deb http...." in
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-kernel-backports.list
    Thats the entry i searched..

And after disable this entry and reboot and a refresh of the Updatelist i don`t get the new updates for the bpo Kernels.
    Thats what i whised... Perfect thanks a lot

If disabling of the bpo repo make a problem.. let me know what i should do..

• Offizieller Beitrag

But AFAIK to install kernel 4.13 you'd have to use something like "apt-get install -t stretch-backports linux-image-amd64" to install it. I wouldn't expect it to appear as a possible update via the webUI.

Because the kernel is pinned, it will just install and show up as an update in the updates list. That is the only way to get updates for the backports kernel when they version increases (4.12 -> 4.13).

So i disable the Line "deb http...." in
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-kernel-backports.list

The proper way to disable the backports kernel is to add the following to /etc/default/openmediavault:
    OMV_APT_USE_KERNEL_BACKPORTS="no"
    Then do:
    omv-mkconf apt
    apt-get update

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Because the kernel is pinned, it will just install and show up as an update in the updates list. That is the only way to get updates for the backports kernel when they version increases (4.12 -> 4.13).

The proper way to disable the backports kernel is to add the following to /etc/default/openmediavault:OMV_APT_USE_KERNEL_BACKPORTS="no"
    Then do:
    omv-mkconf apt
    apt-get update

When I moved my test VM from OMV3 to OMV4 a while ago, the backports source list still pointed to jessie-backports so I just commented it out. If I enable stretch backports now, Kernel 4.13 does not appear in the update list, so something is not right with my OMV config and it was because openmediavault-kernel-backports.pref was still pointing to jessie-bakcports too, my pinning was wrong. Porbably other pinning is wrong too. Is there a corect list somewhere? Mine is currently:

Code
    root@omv-vm:/etc/apt/preferences.d# ls -l
    total 20
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1060 Sep 24 15:55 99omv-extras-org
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   44 Jun 28  2016 99openmediavault-local.pref
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  821 Oct  9 07:44 omv-extras-org
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  291 Oct  9 07:44 openmediavault-kernel-backports.pref
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   44 Jan 30  2017 openmediavault-local.pref

I think the 99 files are wrong.

Now I know the proper way to disable stretch backports, if need be, I need sort my config. Still, zfs users should beware kernel upgrades and if 4.13 is being pulled in my default it's a problem for zfs users right now. The bug may have been fixed in unstable by now, but isn't the downside of using bpo kernels is that you are not sure when security & big fixes hit the backports?

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I moved my test VM from OMV3 to OMV4 a while ago, the backports source list still pointed to jessie-backports

Yep, that was a bug fixed in 4.0.7.

If I enable stretch backports now, Kernel 4.13 does not appear in the update list, so something is not right with my OMV config and it was because openmediavault-kernel-backports.pref was still pointing to jessie-bakcports too, my pinning was wrong.

Same bug. omv-mkconf apt should have fixed it.

Still, zfs users should beware kernel upgrades and if 4.13 is being pulled in my default it's a problem for zfs users right now.

I'm sure it will be fixed soon. That is the downside to using something that is still beta.

The bug may have been fixed in unstable by now, but isn't the downside of using bpo kernels is that you are not sure when security & big fixes hit the backports?

The only downside to using backport kernels is that things that need to compile modules (zfs, virtualbox, etc) are going to be susceptible to breaking. I guess that is the price one pays for using a more bleeding edge kernel. That said, once the backports kernel stabilizes (when the next debian version is released), it is flawless to use in my experience. Security and bug fixes should not be an issue since the bpo kernel is the same as the debian version+1 kernel. Since buster hasn't been released, I would guess that the buster/stretch-backports kernel actually get updates faster than the standard stretch kernel.

• I had the same issues with the backports. They provide 4.13 kernel but doesn't provide the 0.7 branch of zfs, instead they use the old 0.6 branch which isn't compatible with 4.13 kernels.

I asked on the mailing list if this is a known problem and somebody said, that I shouldn't use the backports for default installation. I didn't digged deep in this anymore. I moved my Debian installation to sid for now which also have the 4.13 kernel but also the latest ZFS version 0.7.3.

OMV 4 - Ryzen 7 1700 (8 Cores / 16 Threads 65W TDP) - 32 GB DDR4 ECC
    128 GB OS SSD - 256 GB Plex SSD - 32 TB RAIDZ2 (6x8TB HGST NAS)

• Offizieller Beitrag

that I shouldn't use the backports for default installation

While probably true, I have for a lot of years without any problems.

I moved my Debian installation to sid for now which also have the 4.13 kernel but also the latest ZFS version 0.7.3.

Are you using OMV 4.x on sid? Just curious if the zfs plugin works with 0.7.3 because the 0.7.3 sources build on stretch...

• Are you using OMV 4.x on sid? Just curious if the zfs plugin works with 0.7.3 because the 0.7.3 sources build on stretch...

Yes I use sid for my OMV 4. ZFS plugin works well so far, no issues.

Edit: Except this issue and another mounting issue but both aren't related to sid.

OMV 4 - Ryzen 7 1700 (8 Cores / 16 Threads 65W TDP) - 32 GB DDR4 ECC
    128 GB OS SSD - 256 GB Plex SSD - 32 TB RAIDZ2 (6x8TB HGST NAS)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes I use sid for my OMV 4. ZFS plugin works well so far, no issues.

Interesting. 0.7.3 packages build for stretch here

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!