[Solved] Error: fsck died with exit status 8 on every reboot

• So I finally got this all setup and and installed (Love it way more than Nas4Free), but while moving it to it's curner under and behind the TV the external drive got yanked out (server was running) and I quickly put it back in. The server recognized it as still mounted and so I rebooted the system and now I'm getting a constant fdisk failure "exit status 8" on UUID=7cf574d7-151b-4b69-8215-41092e71789c ... this usually means a problem or conflict between what fstab says and what really is, but I can't find the discrepancy that's causing this issue.

If anyone could help me fix this, I'd be very thankful :mrgreen: ; I hate having to ctrl+D after every reboot (yeah, it still boots fine and runs like kitten with no problems after ctrl+D).

Logs

Code
    Log of fsck -C -a -t ext4 /dev/sda1
    Thu May 23 18:57:40 2013

fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
    /dev/sda1: clean, 32649/663552 files, 340609/2637304 blocks

Thu May 23 18:57:40 2013
    ----------------

blkid

Code
    /dev/sda1: UUID="46ffd933-cacd-4bfc-8420-e73d815e7038" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sda3: LABEL="Internal" UUID="d1274fc4-7ce0-4ab9-ab35-c7a1839a7eb4" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sda5: LABEL="swap" UUID="bb699e7a-b1cf-4501-8bdb-c40432b4f2a1" TYPE="swap"
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="Aequitas2" UUID="7cf574d7-151b-4b69-8215-41092e71789c" TYPE="ext4"

fstab

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.2ghz
    Memory:
    26GB RAM
    Kernel: Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64
    Version: 5.6.2-1 (Usul) Debian Buster [From Fresh Install of 5]

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hakarune ()

• I dont know a solution yet.

Just asking:
    - did you manually change anything in fstab?
    - can you access the data on the external disk?
    - Why "//" in this line

Code
    /media/d1274fc4-7ce0-4ab9-ab35-c7a1839a7eb4// /home/ftp/Internal none bind 0 0

- Have you tried unmounting the external drive, reboot and plug back in?

• Zitat von "knumsi"

I don't know a solution yet.

Just asking:
    - did you manually change anything in fstab?
    - can you access the data on the external disk?
    - Why "//" in this line

Code

- Have you tried unmounting the external drive, reboot and plug back in?

I haven't touched the fstab except to add in the UUID for the new swap as per (http://forums.openmediavault.o…c.php?f=10&t=727&start=10), after which everything ran fine. I could do everything and rebooting wasn't a problem at all. I spent the whole day configuring and set up and transferring data (several reboots) and it was perfect. The error occured today after I finally moved it to it's final resting place/new home in the corner. I can still access the drive and no problems moving or renaming files, even streaming with XBMC is perfect. The troubles I'm having are adding programs that aren't plugins lol. After the incident I rebooted; got the error, continued and then unmounted and remounted, but the problem was still there. I can retry it; unmount and reboot, remount after boot again. Will post back when I perform the task.

As for this:

Code

No clue, that was already there; created by OMV after initial setup... :?:

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

• Update:

• I wasn't able to unmount via GUI (the option is greyed out).
    • Manually from boot bash as root I ran fsck:
      Code
      fsck -AM -y
      Code
      fsck -AM -fy
      Code
      fsck -AM -a

• received error:
        Code
        e2fsck: need terminal for interactive repairs

so I manually ran

Code
        e2fsck -A -y

• After completed it said everything was fine and I rebooted and still receiving error

• Proceeded to try and umount from terminal and received
      Code
      Device or resource busy

• Did a lazy umount successfully and rebooted
        Code
        umount -l /dev/sdb1

• Received same error:

Code
        fsck.ext4: Unable to resolve 'UUID=7cf574d7-151b-4b69-8215-41092e71789c'
        fsck died with exit status 8

• CTRL+D booted and /dev/sdb1 not mounted
    • Rebooted again.
    • /dev/sdb1 auto remounted at boot and still receiving error
    • Tried
      Code
      sync

and rebooted; again receiving the error upon boot.

Anyone have any ideas?

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

• It looks like some uuid's in your config.xml have changed. It would be way faster to reinstall then to try and sort this out. Disconnect your data drives and leave system drive connected. Resintall OMV. Then turn off and reconnect data drives and turn on. Recreate any shares. Your data should be fine.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

It looks like some uuid's in your config.xml have changed. It would be way faster to reinstall then to try and sort this out. Disconnect your data drives and leave system drive connected. Resintall OMV. Then turn off and reconnect data drives and turn on. Recreate any shares. Your data should be fine.

Sadly I've spent a lot of time configuring and installing stuff into my install, plus 1 of my data drives is also my OS drive; shrank the install partition and deleted the expanded/swap partitions and created new ones, so I'd lose about 100GB of data and all the installing and configuring I've done lol :(.

Where is the config.xml file located? I'd gladly go and change the data manually; the time to find the problem is lot less of a headache than reconfiguring and reinstall the whole OS, apps, shares, and data.

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

• /etc/openmediavault/config.xml. I've got a feeling that when your disk was disconnected and then reconnected a new uuid was applied to it. This is hard to sort out, especially from afar. How many disks do you have? Look in particular at the fstab section of config.xml. The mounted filesystems uuid need to match appropriate uuid in other sections of the config.xml. I would really recommend redoing it all. I know it's a pain but once you get it all sorted and make a backup you will not have to deal with it again. Sucks how your disk was disconnected.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

/etc/openmediavault/config.xml. I've got a feeling that when your disk was disconnected and then reconnected a new uuid was applied to it. This is hard to sort out, especially from afar. How many disks do you have? Look in particular at the fstab section of config.xml. The mounted filesystems uuid need to match appropriate uuid in other sections of the config.xml. I would really recommend redoing it all. I know it's a pain but once you get it all sorted and make a backup you will not have to deal with it again. Sucks how your disk was disconnected.

I have just the internal disc for the netbook and 1 external 500gb (the external is what's giving me all the problems) [I had a 2ndary 1TB external NTFS I used to bring the data over, but after I was done with it and disconnected it, there were no problems. And sadly the same UUID shows in the config.xml, it's uniform in the xml, fstab, and blkid.... is there another location where the UUID is stored? I'm very baffled by this, I've had externals come detached in the past on many devices; if a problem occurred from it, it was usually a mismatch of blkid and fstab, only once was it something else (that was the system at boot thinking it was still attached and it wasn't, which cause a failed boot problem and deleting the entry from fstab fixed it...

Code
    <mntent>
            <uuid>21399869-60c3-468e-9955-330fb11be4d3</uuid>
            <fsname>7cf574d7-151b-4b69-8215-41092e71789c</fsname>
            <dir>/media/7cf574d7-151b-4b69-8215-41092e71789c</dir>
            <type>ext4</type>
            <opts>defaults,acl,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0</opts>
            <freq>0</freq>
            <passno>2</passno>
          </mntent>

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

• Zitat von "hakarune"

Sadly I've spent a lot of time configuring and installing stuff into my install, plus 1 of my data drives is also my OS drive; shrank the install partition and deleted the expanded/swap partitions and created new ones, so I'd lose about 100GB of data and all the installing and configuring I've done lol :(.

Apart from reconfiguring, you can install Debian Squeeze yourself, without loosing your additional Data Partition and install OMV afterwards.
    The hard Part is to find a squeeze 6.0.7 iso.

Short version, thx to ryecoaaron:

Code
    1 - echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public fedaykin main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    2 - apt-get update
    3 - apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    4 - apt-get update
    5 - apt-get install openmediavault
    6 - ready

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Show your full config.xml.

Sorry, thought it's be a very long post, but okay; here it is:

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

• Dave, is there no way to save my OMV configuration and app installs? Or someway to just do a repair install for the broken parts while maintaining all apps/data/config?

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

• Not since OMV 0.2.

Greetings
    David, not Dave :D

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• How in the hell did your fstab section in your config.xml get like this??? There are way to many entries. You should only have mount entries for your data disks there, or in your case a partition and an external. There are many entries for mounting shares. Those only go in the shares section of the config.xml. How did this happen??? No, I see it now. FTP....

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Not since OMV 0.2.

Greetings
    David, not Dave :D

That is a very sad loss then :(. I guess for now I can just live with this error, but there has to be some way to actually fix it without loosing all my apps/configs (took me longer to setup all my server apps and configs than it did to transfer the 500GB of data from my old server to my new, though both were USB 3.0 lol)

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

• Ok, I got an idea what is going on. Is the fsck on the external the only issue???? This has been an issue with externals and there are some old posts regarding it. Please answer on the fsck and then I will go thru some posts. I should add the config.xml looks ok.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

How in the hell did your fstab section in your config.xml get like this??? There are way to many entries. You should only have mount entries for your data disks there, or in your case a partition and an external. There are many entries for mounting shares. Those only go in the shares section of the config.xml. How did this happen??? No, I see it now. FTP....

0.o?? Was I not supposed to setup FTP? or did OMV mess everything up?

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

• Zitat von "hakarune"

That is a very sad loss then :(. I guess for now I can just live with this error, but there has to be some way to actually fix it without loosing all my apps/configs (took me longer to setup all my server apps and configs than it did to transfer the 500GB of data from my old server to my new, though both were USB 3.0 lol)

Yeah it is, make a backup of your system after your configuration is done.

Greetings
    David

• No, you are ok. But at first glance I was like wtf. The home directory is on the system drive for ftp and those entries are necessary to mount folders from the data drives to the home location of the ftp home directory. It looks ok. Are we just looking at an fsck issue on the external????

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Yeah it is, make a backup of your system after your configuration is done.

Greetings
    David

How do you back it up? just a simple dd from aq live boot to a thumb? i.e.

Code
    dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb/omv.img

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!