Best way to undo a raid 1 (mirror)?

• Hello guys,

I have decided to undo my raid 1 of two HDD WD Red 3TB and just split the services per disk and therefore, have more disk space.
    What would be the easiest way to do it in OMV to avoid losing data?
    Can I avoid formatting both disks?

Thanks in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should be able to mark fail-remove a single disk from the mirror then format that removed disk and start moving contents from raid1 degraded to single disk. Once finish you can proceed to remove the old array. And use it as a single disk.

Here is, what I did:

• removed one of the disks of the array in the GUI (sdc in my case); I ended up with a degraded RAID1 --> ok at this stage
    • from CLI: reduced the size of the array to one disk with mdadm --grow /dev/md127 --raid-devices=1 --force
    • after a refresh the GUI of the GUI OMV showed a clean single-disk-RAID1 with the same mounting point as before
    • deleted superblock on the second disk with mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdc (if the superblock is not zeroed the single-disk-RAID1 will not be detected during reboot as there is a conflict between the two superblock information on the two disks)
    • create a new file system on the second disk

Seems ok so far. All services seem to work as before.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!