OpenMediaVault Hangs on Boot

• I am having a problem with my OpenMediaVault server failing to boot up. The particularly aggravating thing is that this is happening intermittently. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Basically, what will happen is if I try to reboot the computer, the server will not come back up on its own. Instead, it will hang at some point during the reboot. To get the server working again, I tried cutting the power to it by pulling the plug, then plugging it back in (the server automatically powers on when power is restored). This did not work either, as the server was still hanging. I tried to figure out what was causing the hanging by connecting a monitor and trying the boot process again, but the server came up just fine! I shut down the server unplugged the monitor, and powered it on without any issues.

Since then, I've discovered that if I reboot the server shortly after it comes up, the reboot works fine, but if I wait a while (I don't have a precise measurement of this unfortunately), the reboot will fail. If I try to resolve the issue by cutting the power and restoring it, the computer will only boot after sitting for a few minutes. What's going on. Why is this happening? Is there a way that I could get information about why this annoying issue keeps coming up?

• I would, but I am not sure what log I should attach

At least the syslog.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• That syslog is very short. There must be a log file about the complete boot process also.

Is your system drive a SD card or something like this? Are you sure that it is not defective?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I can see several disk timeouts in the log:

and a lot of this kind of messages:

[/list]

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• I recently had one of my hard drives fail and I had to remove it. I'll have to look to see if it's having a hard time with one of my other drives. Hopefully that's it though.

Could this message also be caused by waiting for drives to spin up? My drives spin down after a certain amount of time and I'm wondering if that is perhaps the problem.

• I recently had one of my hard drives fail and I had to remove it. I'll have to look to see if it's having a hard time with one of my other drives. Hopefully that's it though.

Could this message also be caused by waiting for drives to spin up? My drives spin down after a certain amount of time and I'm wondering if that is perhaps the problem.

• Could this message also be caused by waiting for drives to spin up?

Normally the disk should spin up in a period of time shorter than the time out. I would interpret this message that the drive doesn´t spin up at all or takes to much time.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• Normally the disk should spin up in a period of time shorter than the time out. I would interpret this message that the drive doesn´t spin up at all or takes to much time.

From what I can tell, the drive that it's trying to connect to is the one that died that I pulled from the computer. I am inferring this based on the "WDH141CG" part of the entry. That looks a lot like the serial numbers for my other drives, but it is not identical to any of the ones that I have. Unfortunately, I cannot check the serial number on the dead drive, as I do not have it in my possession at this time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Was it fixed at some point?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of mount -a

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• What is the output of mount -a

Here is the output of mount -a. I believe the "Failed to access volume" entry is related to the hard drive that I removed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How about:

omv-mkconf fstab

Then:

mount -a

• Offizieller Beitrag

That tells me you have a left entry in the mntent section of /etc/openmediavault/config.xml which is probably still visible in the filesystems tab.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!