Plexplugin installed but Website says no Server found..

• Hi,

i installed the plexserver and after register an Login on Webseite /myNASIP:32400 i get the Info on the right side of the window "Looking for Servers", but my Server seems not existing? only the website is aviable. So i can not finish the server installation.

So i cant`t get use Plexmediaserver. Must i install some more packages?

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are some threads with this problem where it seems to be related to the network configuration (DNS error).
    Is you network working as expected? Are you able to search for updates without errors? Are you able to ping google.com?

• Yeah I encountered an issue with DNS in the past and updated the network configuration to fix it. I can ping google fine and I get the updates.

I do get a "Distribution conflict" message for "https://downloads.plex.tv public InRelease" with the "apt-get update" but it doesn't seem to generate an error.

It's simply gone. Nothing has changed in my config (either omv, plex or router), the only thing I did was updating the plugin.

I must say that that makes me consider once again to drop OMV as a plex server; it's too unstable.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I must say that he makes me consider once again to drop OMV all together. It's a fantastic software but has a plex server, it's too unstable.

I would use plex in a docker. The plugin may go away soon because there are too many issues especially changes in the plex package itself. Don't equate OMV's stability with plex though...

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

But I use Plex on OMV3 not OMV4, yet.

There should be no difference. It is the same plugin and same plex package.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I would use plex in a docker. The plugin may go away soon because there are too many issues especially changes in the plex package itself. Don't equate OMV's stability with plex though...

Yeah, I actually edited my message to correct myself already.
    Honestly, last time I tried the Docker plug-in, it led to other issues as well. I will probably start using a ubuntu vm for the moment as a plex server.

• The plex plugin was broken in omv 4 for me as well. So I just downloaded the .deb from the plex website and it works like a charm.

I had to add an init script I found on the plex forum to make it start at boot time but that was a walk in the park pretty much. I also had to do a one time ssh tunnel for initial access as explained in the plex documentation.

Last I had to modify the plex users homedir to point to my media root or it wouldn’t let me browse there to my movies. But that’s because an old plex user with a different homedir was left from the OMV3 install before I upgraded.

But now it all works great.

I’d be happy to share more detail if anyone needs it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds like the plex package changed again. It is very difficult to stay ahead of their changes which means the plugin is going to break a lot. Not looking good for the plugin...

• This is what I received from Plex...

-Debian 7.x isn't supported.
    -Debian 8.x isn't supported.
    -Debian 9.x isn't supported.
    -Plex Media Server only runs on pure Debian distributions.

Makes no sense it ran before without issue, but it's apparent the market shares are in Ubuntu apparently some facets of Linux Development did learn from MicroSoft (follow the chattel). I may be wrong, but I think Open Media Vault is going to be SOL on Plex Media Server.

That's a shame, when every other NAS OS has plugins or docks for Plex.

OMV 3.0.90 (Erasmus) IBM/Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 - Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1225 v3
    8M Cache, 3.20 GHz (Quad Core). 32GB PNY Dual Channel 1600MHz DDR3 Memory. PNY CS1311 120GB SSD on OWC Accelsior S PCIe to SSD. 2, 4 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds 2, 8 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds. Intel Gigabyte LAN.

• Plex runs just fine on debian and thus OMV. Just ditch the plugin and grab the ubuntu .deb from the plex website and dpkg -i that.

Then login through an ssh tunnel the very first time only like documented on the plex website. Thats all there is to it really.

• Plex runs just fine on debian and thus OMV. Just ditch the plugin and grab the ubuntu .deb from the plex website and dpkg -i that.

Then login through an ssh tunnel the very first time only like documented on the plex website. Thats all there is to it really.

I personally tried that already. Even though it has worked in the past for me without issue, Plex website just consistently says "Looking for Server" and never ends. I changed DNS, verified ports and all the usual. I used plexmediaserver_1.9.6.4429-23901a099_amd64.deb and plexmediaserver_1.9.7.4441-e5eb5d5a1_amd64.deb

That's why I contacted Plex, not because of the broken plugin. I have had a Plex Lifetime Pass since it's launch so they have always been helpful, but this response... I was not happy. Mainly, because as you said... it works fine (normally).

OMV 3.0.90 (Erasmus) IBM/Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 - Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1225 v3
    8M Cache, 3.20 GHz (Quad Core). 32GB PNY Dual Channel 1600MHz DDR3 Memory. PNY CS1311 120GB SSD on OWC Accelsior S PCIe to SSD. 2, 4 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds 2, 8 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds. Intel Gigabyte LAN.

• I got it! I had to chown and chgrp.

root@foto:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-4TB00/Media# chown plex /var/lib/plexmediaserver
    root@foto:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-4TB00/Media# chgrp plex /var/lib/plexmediaserver
    root@foto:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-4TB00/Media# dpkg -i plexmediaserver_1.9.7.4441-e5eb5d5a1_amd64.deb
    (Reading database ... 94051 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack plexmediaserver_1.9.7.4441-e5eb5d5a1_amd64.deb ...
    Removed symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/plexmediaserver.service.
    Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.9.7.4441-e5eb5d5a1) over (1.9.7.4441-e5eb5d5a1) ...
    Setting up plexmediaserver (1.9.7.4441-e5eb5d5a1) ...
    Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/plexmediaserver.service to /lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.
    Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u7) ...
    Processing triggers for mime-support (3.58) ...
    root@foto:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-4TB00/Media#

• Offizieller Beitrag

-Plex Media Server only runs on pure Debian distributions.

OMV is "pure" Debian.

• OMV is "pure" Debian.

I agree. It's called - head up ass syndrome, it's included free with every corporate seal.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!