[Solved] Running service noip2 is halting other processes

• So I didn't notice till I went in on my windows system to move some new downloads around and rename them, but somehow my no-ip install and process is halting other parts of the system refusing access to things like simple renaming of files on 777 or changing privileges/inheritance via the webgui. Anyone got any ideas? I installed via this tutorial (http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/No_IP_Manual.html), since I have gone back and deleted the init.d script it provided and unlink the symlinks, but the problem still persisted until I stopped the service....

Error Output

EDIT:One site suggests removing insserv (http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=379), but that sounds like a bad idea to me.

P.S. Sorry for the random slew of posts/questions today, My experience with servers in the past were FreeNas (not messing with anything unless it was preinstalled) and a simple business style ubuntu server for mail and SMB only; I'm used to having a full desktop environment of linux and installing/controlling from the a full GUI/Settings m(_ _;)m Thank you ahead of time for all help, it is much appreciated

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.2ghz
    Memory:
    26GB RAM
    Kernel: Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64
    Version: 5.6.2-1 (Usul) Debian Buster [From Fresh Install of 5]

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hakarune ()

• The manual looks some kind of old. For which debian version was it written? Init scripts in debian have a specific header ...

Example

Zitat

warning: script 'noip2' missing LSB tags

Is your script still there?

Code
    ls -Al /etc/init.d/

• Okay, it being an old tut, makes sense. As for the init.d script, I deleted it and the symlinks, trying to see if that would fix the problem. It didn't until I killed the service and restarted it. no the service is running, but no errors. It must have been the symlinks or the init.d script causing the problems. The script didn't work anyways, so no real loss there...

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

• Just out of curiosity, why do you want to change your file permissions to 777?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to change your file permissions to 777?

Greetings
    David

Oh, just the downloads folder, so my gf can download and add files to it. I gave her a folder in there to store stuff on. She's a typical apple user and I don't feel like setting the whole users style and giving her a login. I do everything as just root and she can do whatever to 1 folder. Just simpler that way. I managed to get it all back to fine with deleting the symlinks and the init script + reboot. Just have to figure out why my services aren't auto starting though now.

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

• Okay, that sounds legimitate.
    But two points: first, why is a apple user not comfortable with logins, especially if the unix_mac system is much like linux after all?
    And second, don't do everything as root. You never know which software may be glitched to get root privileges.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Okay, that sounds legimitate.
    But two points: first, why is a apple user not comfortable with logins, especially if the unix_mac system is much like linux after all?
    And second, don't do everything as root. You never know which software may be glitched to get root privileges.

Greetings
    David

I actually didn't think about that possibility lol, just created a standard admin login for myself; thanks for catching that.

And on the last server I setup (FreeNas) she thought someone would be able to steal her comp passwords (keychain) and hack her mac. So I just simplified it for her, unlimited access to the downloads folder without login and dlna to stream all vids and daap server for the music via iTunes.

And everything but that 1 folder is 775 or 755, which is good for me

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hakarune ()

• A little paranoid your girl? Why would a remotelogin (with an unprivileged user) be able to compromise the local keychain on a mac ?

But, how does she access your share at the moment, did you made it public/accesable w/out password?

Greetings
    David

Edit: 777 file permissions on folders is okay, there are some people telling that on folders it isn't a security risk, but on files i wouldn't do it. On the other hand, OMV mounts your Data Disks with noexec, so you are on a safe side here.

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

A little paranoid your girl? Why would a remotelogin (with an unprivileged user) be able to compromise the local keychain on a mac ?

But, how does she access your share at the moment, did you made it public/accesable w/out password?

Greetings
    David

Yes she is, she's had a few viruses in the past on her old win7 laptop and had a few technical issues with the mac and she doesn't understand much of anything beyond school/work uses and video games on a PC. It's funny when I get to talking about problems I've run into building past servers or programming, she glazes over lol. Though my hope is to teach her the server basics before I leave to Japan in January.

And Yep, handy feature that works great; FreeNas didn't allow that so before she didn't access anything unless she was on my comp. The new setup worked well for when my friends came over yesterday too, I just threw files in that folder that they wanted and didn't have to give out any usernames or passwords. But I think now I'm going to just make a guest login that can only read, so I don't have to do anything lol.

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

• And there you got another risk with your friends accessing your 777 public folder, they could accidently delete your files. So your guest login with Read-Only permission should be your deal.

Greetings
    David

• Okay, so I found no-ip.org's init.d script for debian (it doesn't actually work), how would I make this actually work right?

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

• Zitat von "knumsi"

take a look at the header i posted earlier.

next: the manual is still not newer ;) Why do you want your NAS to update a dyndns service and not your router?

MY router doesn't offer a no-ip.org update service. And it'd be nice if the server did it, so that when I move in month or if take it a friends house; it automatically updates with the new address for outside accessing.

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

• take a look here:
    http://debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=134956

But the package is too old ... cant it be installed with apt-get? [Edit: no, it cant]

try a wget here:
    wget http://www.no-ip.com/client/linux/noip-duc-linux.tar.gz

and install it? Seems to be the official binary.
    And here is the official install howto:
    http://www.noip.com/support/kn…ux-dynamic-update-client/

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Not sure but you may have to install make and gcc before you follow that How To.

apt-get install make
    apt-get install gcc

Already did that. Followed their official post and tried bout 20 tuts, it's installed and works, just doesn't start at boot. Neither does SickBeard, it's aggregating beyond belief lol.

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Memory:
    26GB RAM

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!