Raspberry pi won't boot !

• Hi everybody,

Today I tried to change my omv installation to another Rpi. I just switched the sd card from one to another, and now the "other" won't boot. I only get the red light on my Rpi... But no boot. Is it normal ? Do I have to switch the card back ? ?(

• ReSeat. I know it sounds stupid... but if you really didn't change anything, this has happened to me.

Aslo... just FYI Raspberry Pi 3 has many version, believe it or not. Not only is there Green, Blue and Red boards, but revisions too.

OMV 3.0.90 (Erasmus) IBM/Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 - Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1225 v3
    8M Cache, 3.20 GHz (Quad Core). 32GB PNY Dual Channel 1600MHz DDR3 Memory. PNY CS1311 120GB SSD on OWC Accelsior S PCIe to SSD. 2, 4 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds 2, 8 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds. Intel Gigabyte LAN.

• ReSeat. I know it sounds stupid... but if you really didn't change anything, this has happened to me.

Aslo... just FYI Raspberry Pi 3 has many version, believe it or not. Not only is there Green, Blue and Red boards, but revisions too.

Ok, thanks for your advice.
    I'll put the sd card back in its original Rpi and see if it works !

• So, I just put the sd card in its "original" Pi ..... and it's not booting :/

Is there some boot file on my sd card I need to inspect ?

I'm just scared that all my OMV (and plugins) config is dead :( :( :(

• Is there some boot file on my sd card I need to inspect ?

Don't panic (at least not now). Raspberries have their proprietary primary OS on the FAT(32) partition, OMV is on the ext4 partition. If the FAT partition is damaged you might be able to recover from the problem by using an SD card reader and backing up the ext4 partition, then re-image the SD card and replace the ext4 partition there.

It seems you don't know but SD card crappiness is one of the most severe problems with SBC. Cheap/average cards die early, there's a lot of counterfeit stuff around (faking higher capacity than they really have). You might want to read through the first paragraphs here: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/18991

• Don't panic (at least not now). Raspberries have their proprietary primary OS on the FAT(32) partition, OMV is on the ext4 partition. If the FAT partition is damaged you might be able to recover from the problem by using an SD card reader and backing up the ext4 partition, then re-image the SD card and replace the ext4 partition there.
    It seems you don't know but SD card crappiness is one of the most severe problems with SBC. Cheap/average cards die early, there's a lot of counterfeit stuff around (faking higher capacity than they really have). You might want to read through the first paragraphs here: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/18991

Haha I laugh reading the "at least not now" part... ^^

The problem I face is that my ubuntu laptop doesn't see the SD card when I insert it. I'll try with a Windows laptop at home.
    I understand the possibly corrupted FAT partition and I'll look for it as soon as I'll have access to my SD card.

I allready knew that SD cards where often the cause of problems with Rpi, mine is a 16Gb Sandisk, Class 10. I though it would do the job :/

• Check this out before choosing an SD... https://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/microsd-cards

I always check the tests and benchmarks then adjust my budget by size or sales, not brand.

OMV 3.0.90 (Erasmus) IBM/Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 - Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1225 v3
    8M Cache, 3.20 GHz (Quad Core). 32GB PNY Dual Channel 1600MHz DDR3 Memory. PNY CS1311 120GB SSD on OWC Accelsior S PCIe to SSD. 2, 4 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds 2, 8 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds. Intel Gigabyte LAN.

• Thanks for both answers.

I'm sad to see that my SD card is dead... I put it in a sd card adapter right into my windows laptop and... nothing happened. My card is not even saw by the computer.

I'll have to get a new sd card and reinstall the whole OMV system, and my plugins... and configure... again... :( Yeahhhhhh

• I'll have to get a new sd card and reinstall the whole OMV system, and my plugins... and configure... again...

Sorry, but did you ever heard about backup? :)

Next time simply create an 8 GB partition on one of your data drives and set up an rsync job to transfer / without crossing partition borders to the disk. When your next SD card dies (and they all die!), then grab latest OMV image, replace everything on the ext4 partition with your backup and continue to work.

Or just stop from time to time and do regular SD card clones to an image with your tool of choice (I have another SBC setup for this using ddrescue)

• Sorry, but did you ever heard about backup? :)
    Next time simply create an 8 GB partition on one of your data drives and set up an rsync job to transfer / without crossing partition borders to the disk. When your next SD card dies (and they all die!), then grab latest OMV image, replace everything on the ext4 partition with your backup and continue to work.

Or just stop from time to time and do regular SD card clones to an image with your tool of choice (I have another SBC setup for this using ddrescue)

Oh yeah I heard about backups... I did some for my last installation, but it seems that I was too confident this time ^^ All my fault !

• OMV Extras has a USB Backup Plugin - Highly Recommend.

Then remove the USB when complete. It's extremely simple to use and backs up all the system files.

When you make significant changes in an configurations... insert and backup again. Always remove when complete. seriously. I just replaced a USB to Serial interface on a clients machine that melted... not kidding. The other end was not even connected to any devices, simply plugged into USB port. Remove when complete.

Bilder

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!