OMV 4.x | OpenVPN | iptables

• Hi guys,

I have running OMV 4.x on my bananapi with sata drive on Debian 9 "Stretch" with OMV installed as package through the repository (since I would like to have also access to the GUI of the system when I am home with keyboard and mouse). The solutions works great for my purpose. I would like to access the NAS and the data through the internet when I am not at home. My thoughts was to install OpenVPN plugin, but there is not yet release for OMV 4.x.

Please can someone give me a hint and describe the rules I should put in the iptables?
    I would like to:

• Leave open communication in the local network 10.0.0.0/24
    • Access all the computers and services in the network when I am connected to VPN (I read somewhere the OpenVPN clients will use a IP address pool from 10.8.0.0/24) Since my local network is 10.0.0.0/24 I will change the IP pool for the VPN clients to 10.0.0.128/25 or can I leave 10.0.0.0/24 and the DHCP server will handle that?
    • Access all the services in the local network (DLNA, Plex, SMB, netatalk, etc..., SSH)
    • Access the NAS through SSH only when I am connected to the VPN.
    • Access the internet through the VPN as a proxy. So when I am connected to the OpenVPN my public IP will be the same as public IP of the NAS.

Or there was not much configuration done yet, so should I move to the OMV 3.x version? I just dont know if it is compatibile with the Debian 9 "Stretch"

Thank you for your advice.
    Cheers,
    Jakub

• Re,

the only solution i can give, is to end the VPN-tunnel on your router instead of your nas-box. This may have performance issues on high bandwith wan-connections (most router-SoC's have poor performance doing vpn), but that it will work with your complaints ...

Btw. ending the VPN-tunnel on your NAS-box turns it into a full featured router-box in addition to the rest of services, which will highly increase the security implications.

Sc0rp

• Hi, I set up my OMV4 server a bit like yours (Debian 9 + OMV4 + LightDM + LXDE-Core). So far I've been lucky, it's running fine.

Like you, I also wanted remote access, but I thought immediately of Teamviewer because I use it at work under Windows for remote support. However, the Teamviewer Host plugin for OMV4 seemed flaky, it was having some problems accepting connections. Sometimes I could connect, but other times my Windows client would tell me oh so helpfully that it couldn't connect, for an "unknown reason."

Anyway I thought I would try to install TV myself, based on this KB article: https://community.teamviewer.c…-p/4351#toc-hId-850221972

I logged in to my OMV box as a normal user belonging to the sudo group. Started up Chromium browser and clicked the link in the article above to download "teamviewer_12.0.xxxxx_i386.deb". As of 10 December 2017, the file that downloaded was named teamviewer_12.0.90041_i386.deb.

Then at the command prompt:

Code
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo dpkg  -i teamviewer_12.0.90041_i386.deb
    sudo apt-get install  -f

After installation I rebooted (old Windows habits die hard!) and configured TeamViewer as usual, making sure that under "Options > General" I ticked the box "Start Teamviewer with system."

It's been working well, I can connect reliably to the OMV box from anywhere. :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

However, the Teamviewer Host plugin for OMV4 seemed flaky, it was having some problems accepting connections. Sometimes I could connect, but other times my Windows client would tell me oh so helpfully that it couldn't connect, for an "unknown reason."

This has nothing to do with the plugin. Must be an issue with the teamviewer host package since the plugin installs the package the same you did. You installed the full teamviewer package which includes the viewer as well. I didn't want that for the plugin. Version 13 was recently released as well and is a native 64 bit app. I need to update omv-extras to use the new repo. Maybe it will solve the stability issues.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yep, I would have preferred Teamviewer 13 x64 too but it fought me when I tried to install it on Stretch. That's when I found the KB article. It advised, "On newer 64-bit DEB-systems with Multiarch-support (Debian 7), teamviewer_linux_x64.deb cannot be installed because the package ia32-libs is not available anymore on these systems. In this case you can use teamviewer_12.0.xxxxx_i386.deb instead."

I'll keep an eye out for the update in omv-extras and see if I can get it installed in my VirtualBox test machine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'll keep an eye out for the update in omv-extras and see if I can get it installed in my VirtualBox test machine.

I updated it shortly after I posted that - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…303ae541a2b16cbd7466b6d19

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!