OMV on Udoo Quad

• I was wondering why OMV has not made an image for the Udoo Quad, since it seems this is one of the most powerful ARM devices out there on the market.
    If I wanted a NAS (and I do), this is by far the best price/performance platform out there as a mediaserver for streaming movies via Plex or similar from.
    I just don't get why nobody has made an image for this platform yet - I thought it would have a little bigger priority...

These are my thoughts anyway...

Oh, I forgot... I know that a ridiculously old version exists out there (version 0.4.17 Fedaykin), but what I am after, is a version 3 or above...

• I was wondering why OMV has not made an image for the Udoo Quad, since it seems this is one of the most powerful ARM devices out there on the market.

Nope, the i.MX6 is rather old and slow in the meantime (was a great thing 6 years ago though) and due to an internal chipset limitation it's not worth the efforts to provide an own image: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…findComment&comment=29577

But in case you have a working Debian Jessie or Stretch distro for your UDOO (eg from here) it's as easy as following this Which Debian version will work with OMV3 (that's part of Armbian but I personally always try to ensure that it runs on every Debian anywhere, all my tests happen only on Raspbian and other non-Armbian variants)

• I know that it is not a super-computer, but it's quite good price/performance and also it's alot faster than Rasberry Pi as well as having more memory and quad core, so it's not totally useless.

What "internal chipset limitation" are you talking about?

• it's not totally useless

I know and that's the reason I explained above how to get OMV on your device in a way it will perform 'as best as possible'. But 'not totally useless' is a little bit different compared to 'NAS ... by far the best price/performance platform out there' as you've written above. Especially the price/performance ratio is IMO horribly bad.

What "internal chipset limitation" are you talking about?

Ok, again: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…findComment&comment=29577

If you have this board already lying around just use OMV on it following the above instructions. If you've not already wasted that much money (it still costs above $100, yes?) consider the many way more better options.

• You mean the fact that Udoo Quad only has 405/580 Mbits/sec gigabit network connection? Why would that matter at all?
    It's fast enough to stream media to Plex (I've tried and it worked great) and that is what I intend to use it for.

To answer your question - YES! I have one Udoo Quad and one Rasberry Pi, but I'd like to use my Udoo Quad, since it's alot faster.

To put it another way: Why do you build for Rasberry Pi, since it's spec's are alot worse than Udoo Quad?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why do you build for Rasberry Pi, since it's spec's are alot worse than Udoo Quad?

Because you are probably one of two people who own an Udoo Quad (I'm the other one)<sarcasm> and you seem to be the only one who wants OMV on it. According to sourceforge, there are almost 2000 people who download the RPi image per week. So, it isn't always what is best that people will use.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Well, just my luck... My Raspberry Pi board is a Raspberry Pi 1, model B, rev 2 and all OMV versions seems to be targeted towards version 2 or 3.
    Although... It states that OMV 2.2.1 (although the image is OMV 2.2.5) is compatible with Raspberry Pi 1 with the addition that you manually have to update "php5-pam". How do I do that?

I have tried booting from OMV 2.2.5 and the console displayed on my screen runs all the way to the login without incident, but when I try to connect from my MacBook to the IP-address displayed in the console window of my Raspberry Pi, my browser gives me: "502 Bad Gateway". How do I fix that?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Although... It states that OMV 2.2.1 (although the image is OMV 2.2.5) is compatible with Raspberry Pi 1 with the addition that you manually have to update "php5-pam". How do I do that?

Confusion fixed. I just deleted the OMV 2.x images for the RPi. As tkaiser said, it is pointless to put any version of OMV on an RPi1.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Well... I can install OMV 0.4.17 (fedaykin) again on my Udoo Quad (the only version available for Udoo Quad), but my primary goal has always been to get Plex to work in some way - is there a way to get Plex to work on OMV 0.4.17 (fedaykin)? I have read that the only way to install Plex is to enable the OMV Extras, which only seem to work under OMV 2.x and above. Is there really NO other way to get Plex onto OMV 0.4.17 (fedaykin)?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well... I can install OMV 0.4.17 (fedaykin) again on my Udoo Quad (the only version available for Udoo Quad), but my primary goal has always been to get Plex to work in some way - is there a way to get Plex to work on OMV 0.4.17 (fedaykin)? I have read that the only way to install Plex is to enable the OMV Extras, which only seem to work under OMV 2.x and above. Is there really NO other way to get Plex onto OMV 0.4.17 (fedaykin)?

Why are you doing this to yourself? OMV 0.4 is sooooooo old and there was no plex plugin back then. Just install the Debian Jessie image (link), update it with apt-get update/apt-get dist-upgrade, and the install OMV with the following instructions:

Code
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem

If you want omv-extras and the plex plugin, install omv-extras following this guide.

• the install OMV with the following instructions

Then he's missing all the performance tweaks we developed within the last months.

I really don't get why no one is getting that I've already pointed out in post #3 above how to install OMV with (almost) all performance tweaks applied...

Again: "But in case you have a working Debian Jessie or Stretch distro for your UDOO (eg from here) it's as easy as following this Which Debian version will work with OMV3"

@roger_fylling hyperlinks are there to be visited, it's really as easy as

Code
    wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/armbian/config/dev/softy
    sudo /bin/bash ./softy

(and I've to admit that I'm stupid repeating the same thing now the third time in such a short thread)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Then he's missing all the performance tweaks we developed within the last months.

I really don't get why no one is getting that I've already pointed out in post #3 above how to install OMV with (almost) all performance tweaks applied...

I read too many posts and I didn't remember your post #3. I didn't realize there was an optimized version (or even a version for the matter - when I glanced at the armbian site, all I saw was ubuntu images) for the udoo quad. I was just trying to kill the OMV 0.4 idea.

• I didn't realize there was an optimized version (or even a version for the matter - when I glanced at the armbian site, all I saw was ubuntu images) for the udoo quad

Nah, I pointed @roger_fylling already to the Debian image above and I'll write soon a small tutorial 'How to get OMV on your ARM board' that contains a really small 'how to' part and a really large 'why' part as second post (explaining why the usual installation tutorial leads to low performance on ARM boards).

But I wanted to wait for both new Armbian major release (delayed) and maybe also OMV 4 announcement.

• Hi All,

I also have a UDOO Quad and would like to run OMV on it.

I have tried the official UDOO Quad OMV image. But it is only 0.4. I can't upgrade it to v3.x or 4.x through the web GUI ;(

I have also tried the offical UDOO Quad image of Debian Wheezy. I tried (via ssh from Ubuntu PC):

• echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    • apt-get update
    • apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    • apt-get update
    • apt-get install openmediavault
    • omv-initsystem

But it says I've got unmet dependences.

My goal is to install the omv-extras.org plugins in 3.x or 4.x. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Glen.

• Offizieller Beitrag

erasmus which is OMV 3.x needs Debian Jessie. arrakis which is OMV 4.x needs Debian Stretch.

• Thanks I now have OMV 3.x Erasmus on Debian Jessie.

I went to armbian.com and downloaded Debian Jessie for UDOO Quad. I then installed OMV 3.x Erasmus. I also have the OMV-Extras.org plugin.

I have most of the plugins that I want now. But I want to move my Mythtv install from my Ubuntu / Kodi media centre to my UDOO OMV NAS.

I would also like to install OwnCloud on my UDOO OMV NAS.

Is this possible?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!