Choice between OMV and Ubuntu

• Hi everybody,

As my sd card just died in my Raspberry Pi, I am looking for something maybe safer ?

• Should I reinstall my OMV server on my new sd card ?
    • Is it better to install a Ubuntu Mate release and use Transmission / Sabnzbd / nextcloud / medusa / etc.. From there ?
    • Which one will be the best (not burning my sd card) on the read/write operations ?

Could you give me advices ? ;)

• As my sd card just died in my Raspberry Pi, I am looking for something maybe safer ?

You can't fix hardware issues (the average SD card being best described as 'cheap consumer crap') with software. Software can only help identifying problems (testing your SD card for performance and counterfeit issues) and software can also try to workaround some issues.

That being said the best you could do is to use choose your SD card wisely (again see this post and especially the top links there). This includes choosing an appropriate capacity, the higher the better since higher capacity means wearing out later. If you can get a Samsung EVO+ with 32GB for n bucks and the 64GB costs n * 1.3 bucks choose the latter. Even if OMV only needs a few GB by itself. The higher the capacity the longer the card will live given the same amount of data will be written to it.

Then choose OMV since for SBC usage the most important workaround is already enabled: the flash memory plugin greatly reducing the so called write amplification that normally kills SD cards pretty fast. WIthout the flash memory plugin the same SD card might be killed 20 times faster compared to with.

With Ubuntu and a lot of time and knowledge you'll be able to achieve similar results (but of course you really need to know what you do since no OMV installable on Ubuntu due to package dependencies not being met). But if you want it easy, simple and 'fast' use the most recent OMV image (and maybe think about replacing your RPi with something better for a NAS ;) )

• Wow this is a reply !
    Thanks a lot ☺️, I'll go for OMV install one more time.

I purchased a Samsung Evo+ 32GB (not a 64GB), I'll know it for the next time it will die haha ^^

I know that a real NAS is way more stable and that I'll go for it one day, but I like to test by myself, and try things, even if it's not the best solution. I like to learn

• I purchased a Samsung Evo+ 32GB

Please do yourself a favour and test it prior to usage (see this, almost everything applies to the 'OMV on Raspberries' situation as well)

I know that a real NAS is way more stable

There's really nothing wrong with using single board computers or small and energy efficient ARM devices as NAS (in fact most small commercial NAS boxes are exactly that). Just not Raspberries since for the NAS use case they're most probably the definition of 'as slow and unreliable as possible' (powered by Micro USB which is the most crappy way imaginable, both storage and network behind an USB hub sharing bandwidth).

Anyway: you explained you want to learn and learning from pain is always an option :)

• My honest opinion?

http://a.co/41PydjD

Get a cheap laptop drive or SSD. You can get them on eBay or even Craigs List for $10-20. This is what I planned, before selling my Pi 3 on eBay. I needed transcoding abilities that the Pi could not handle and I read that the USB data speed is shared across all ports, i.e. the more devices, the slower the speed. If it works for you, great... but I would recommend the adapter and a drive for years of operation instead of weeks/months.

OMV 3.0.90 (Erasmus) IBM/Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 - Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1225 v3
    8M Cache, 3.20 GHz (Quad Core). 32GB PNY Dual Channel 1600MHz DDR3 Memory. PNY CS1311 120GB SSD on OWC Accelsior S PCIe to SSD. 2, 4 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds 2, 8 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds. Intel Gigabyte LAN.

• Oh, I start to like SupTronics :)

Their older X800 variant was built around the worst USB-to-SATA bridge known to mankind but it seems some complaining was already sufficient to get them release a newer and superiour one (looks like JMS578 or JMS567). Though combining this with a Raspberry Pi this is still useless since RPi has only one slow USB2 connection to the outside.

But if the SuperSpeed data lines are routed from the USB3 receptacle to the JMicron chip and if their USB-to-USB connector also routes the SuperSpeed data lines then this might be a perfect companion for a ROCK64 for example.

Edit: Nope, wrong USB receptacle used, so for ROCK64 a (standards violating) USB3A-to-USB3A cable would be needed :(

• I have a Samsung 840pro 128GB SSD, is it possible to install OMV on it instead of SDCard ?

• USB 2.0 60MBps, Samsung Evo+ 32GB 20MBps. I'm not a mathematician, but... :whistling:

OMV 3.0.90 (Erasmus) IBM/Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 - Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1225 v3
    8M Cache, 3.20 GHz (Quad Core). 32GB PNY Dual Channel 1600MHz DDR3 Memory. PNY CS1311 120GB SSD on OWC Accelsior S PCIe to SSD. 2, 4 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds 2, 8 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds. Intel Gigabyte LAN.

• I have a Samsung 840pro 128GB SSD, is it possible to install OMV on it instead of SDCard ?

Yes. I had a PNY 120GB. I did a no-no and used GParted Boot ISO to reparation after OMV install to regain the rest of the drive for Plex DB and NGINX. I ended up with about 90GB for my use.

If you're really open to totally crazy ideas and have a RPi 3 (or most RPi 2 bought this year) then follow this: https://www.raspberrypi.org/do…pberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

(performance of OMV boot drive is irrelevant, the RPi is still the worst choice possible for OMV since accessing the data drives is slow as hell and unreliable and 'boot drive' performance is again irrelevant, the Samsung 840 Pro is a really nice and performant SSD and will hate you for the rest of its life for this disgrace ;) )

• USB 2.0 60MBps, Samsung Evo+ 32GB 20MBps. I'm not a mathematician

...and you use both wrong and irrelevant numbers. Sequential transfer speeds with an USB2 disk on a Raspberry Pi can't exceed 37.5 MB/s since no UAS (USB Attached SCSI) possible. Sequential transfer speeds of the SD card are lower. Both numbers are irrelevant for two reasons:

• It's about random IO and not sequential (there still an USB2 SSD will outperform every SD card)
    • performance of the boot drive is absolutely irrelevant

And now time to leave this thread. Why is everything that deals with Raspberries also a guarantee for weirdness?

• "Why is everything that deals with Raspberries also a guarantee for weirdness?"

I have to agree. Sorry to the Pi heads... but I do.

• If you're really open to totally crazy ideas and have a RPi 3 (or most RPi 2 bought this year) then follow this: https://www.raspberrypi.org/do…pberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md
    (performance of OMV boot drive is irrelevant, the RPi is still the worst choice possible for OMV since accessing the data drives is slow as hell and unreliable and 'boot drive' performance is again irrelevant, the Samsung 840 Pro is a really nice and performant SSD and will hate you for the rest of its life for this disgrace ;) )

I understand all those explanations, but what I like is to deal with this cheap Rpi even if it's not the best solution ^^ best solutions need money that I don't have for the moment.

"Why is everything that deals with Raspberries also a guarantee for weirdness?"

I have to agree. Sorry to the Pi heads... but I do.

I think my english is too poor to understand all your messages... But if I'm right you mean that it's weird to build that kind of project using a Rpi ? Am I right ? :D

• It's not weird.
    It's a learning, personal growth, experience.
    If you can gain any level of experience using funds available on RPI hardware, go for it.

My personal opinion though... it's a waste of money.
    My total on Raspberry Pi 3.

Pi 3. $59.99
    Power Cable with Switch. $9.99
    Solid Micro SD. $34.99
    Aluminum Case for Heat Dispersion. $14.99

Total (US) $119.96

Today, literally just arrived home, I picked up a Lenovo ThinkServer with Quad Core Xeon 3.2GHz, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3, Gigabyte LAN and 500GB 7200RPM HDD - New old stock, still packed in the box.

Total (US) $200.00

I would wait until I could save the extra $80.00 or even sell some crap around the house to get the $80.00 rather then pull my hair out every time a Micro SD Pops or Services don't function as expected.

But that's me.

• Ok I understand :)

I wanted to test things that would not be too expensive if h24 usage (eletricity invoice !). I'm sure I'll migrate to something different in the near future ;)

Actually, that's what sent me to a Raspberry Pi 3 and then a TerraMaster NAS box.

I was trying to cut the $123 a month server costs. Now, 1 ThinkServer I'm about $8 and din't have to forfeit any services or speed. I changed all my lights to LED and got that back plus.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!