No access to Plex after new install of OMV 3.x

• I need some help. I have used Plex for a couple of years now, and have depended on it, and have had very little problem. Now here is my problem:

I recently changed my networking equip to Unifi Security Gateway with a Unifi AP. This allows much more config options, but I think that I am now out of my league with maintaining access to my Plex server.
    omv
    After a new install of OMV 3.0.91, I do not have any access to my Plex server. I have configured my OMV firewall to forward proper ports (1900, 32400, 32412-32414, and 5353) in my OMV firewall, but the firewall in my Unifi Controller is not allowing access (as far as I know).

I know that this may become a Unifi issue, which I don't expect anyone here to diagnose. But could anyone help see if I have things setup properly in my OMV firewall, and to eliminate this as the issue? Then I can go through Unifi support to help me with my firewall rules.

Equipment:
    Unifi Security Gateway at 192.168.1.1 (LAN1)
    Unifi AP
    OMV 3.0.91 on a Lenovo TS140 server on 192.168.11.0 subnet (LAN2)

I don't what else to provide, so hopefully someone can help.

OMV 4.1.35-1 (Arrakis)
    Lenovo TS140

Docker-Plex

• Did you install with the plugin or did you install the package dpkg -i plexmediaserver_1.9.7.4441-e5eb5d5a1_amd64.deb ssh'd as root?

OMV 3.0.90 (Erasmus) IBM/Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 - Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1225 v3
    8M Cache, 3.20 GHz (Quad Core). 32GB PNY Dual Channel 1600MHz DDR3 Memory. PNY CS1311 120GB SSD on OWC Accelsior S PCIe to SSD. 2, 4 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds 2, 8 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds. Intel Gigabyte LAN.

• I installed Plex from the OMV-extras tab, where the Plex repo is.

My network setup is pretty simple, as I don't have much of any networking knowledge. But I am paranoid enough that I keep things locked down. I do not open remote access for Plex, only use it through my own OpenVPN server on OMV.

OMV 4.1.35-1 (Arrakis)
    Lenovo TS140

Docker-Plex

• Don’t use the plugin. Do you know how to SSH? May be a stupid question, but I’m trying to keep it simple.

You basically need to uninstall the plugin and install manually. Once installed manually you can configure your library shares via the Plex interface.

Because you attempted the plugin first there may be some files you need to delete manually as well.

I can put up some instructions, but not until later because I am currently traveling. Maybe tonight.

OMV 3.0.90 (Erasmus) IBM/Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 - Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1225 v3
    8M Cache, 3.20 GHz (Quad Core). 32GB PNY Dual Channel 1600MHz DDR3 Memory. PNY CS1311 120GB SSD on OWC Accelsior S PCIe to SSD. 2, 4 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds 2, 8 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds. Intel Gigabyte LAN.

• I can put up some instructions, but not until later because I am currently traveling

@sjdaniels I would much appreciate that also!

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Nevertheless some instructions would be helpful for other people who have already installed the plugin.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• YEs :/ You're right. This is why I made a donation to OMV. The forum is incredible and is one of the many reasons why I will make another donation.

OMV 4.1.35-1 (Arrakis)
    Lenovo TS140

Docker-Plex

• I made a fresh install of 3.0.91 shortly, could install and use the plex plugin without issues. Only plexpy didn't work right from the start.
    Could be solved with

Code
    sudo adduser --system --no-create-home plexpy
    sudo chown plexpy:nogroup -R /opt/plexpy
    sudo systemctl enable plexpy
    sudo systemctl start plexpy

Since then plex is running smoothly for approx. one week. With docker I had massive issues with DLNA, even with --host setup. Therefore no real option for the time being.

HP Microserver Gen8 - 16GB RAM - 1x Dogfish 64GB SSD - 4x 3TB WD Red / ZFS raid1 - OMV 7.x bare metal - Docker - Synology DS214 with 2x 4TB WD Red for rsync backup

• OK, this is what I did on my install after multiple issues with the plugin. I will do instructions for a Plex Pass version and a non Plex Pass version. Sorry for the delay I didn't arrive back from NY until 2:00 AM.

Plex Server - "Fresh" Install of OMV

SSH into your system.

You can use either your FQD (Fully Qualified Domain) or your OMV machines IP address. I have a FQD so my example is cut and paste from my install... slightly modified for privacy. I will not explain SSH client software, as you should have some familiarity with it. If you do not, Google it... sorry for the product branding.

$ ssh user@server.yourdomain.com

On OMV verify this user is a member off the SUDO and SSH groups.

user@server:/$ su
    Password: (Your Root Password)
    root@server:/#

* Now, for safety sake, recommended by: ryecoaaron, you need to change directories.

root@server:/# cd /tmp
    root@server:tmp/#

root@server:tmp/# wget https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/1.9.6.4429-23901a099/plexmediaserver_1.9.6.4429-23901a099_amd64.deb

If you are a Plex Pass user substitute the above for...

root@server:tmp/# wget https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/1.9.7.4460-a39b25852/plexmediaserver_1.9.7.4460-a39b25852_amd64.deb

It will download the latest Plex Media Server distribution to your device. The URLs above will change eventually by Plex, but everything else should remain the same.
    You should see...

--2017-11-15 09:24:19-- https://downloads.plex.tv/plex….4429-23901a099_amd64.deb
    Resolving downloads.plex.tv (downloads.plex.tv)... 104.20.7.9, 104.20.6.9, 2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:609, ...
    Connecting to downloads.plex.tv (downloads.plex.tv)|104.20.7.9|:443... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 107910190 (103M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: ‘plexmediaserver_1.9.6.4429-23901a099_amd64.deb’

plexmediaserver_1.9 100%[=====================>] 102.91M 28.8MB/s in 3.6s

2017-11-15 09:24:22 (28.6 MB/s) - ‘plexmediaserver_1.9.6.4429-23901a099_amd64.deb’ saved [107910190/107910190]

root@server:tmp/#

Now here's the tricky part. If you attempted to install with the "OMV plugin" previously you may need to do the following first.

root@server:tmp/# chown plex /var/lib/plexmediaserver
    root@server:tmp/# chgrp plex /var/lib/plexmediaserver

If you have not, or if you are not sure, the above commands will not hurt anything. The will simply return a failed or error output.

After that, your good to install with...

root@server:tmp/# dpkg -i plexmediaserver_1.9.6.4429-23901a099_amd64.deb

For Plex Pass version...

root@server:tmp/# dpkg -i plexmediaserver_1.9.7.4460-a39b25852_amd64.deb

You should see...

(Reading database ... 94051 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack plexmediaserver_1.9.7.4441-e5eb5d5a1_amd64.deb ...
    Removed symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/plexmediaserver.service.
    Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.9.7.4441-e5eb5d5a1) over (1.9.7.4441-e5eb5d5a1) ...
    Setting up plexmediaserver (1.9.7.4441-e5eb5d5a1) ...
    Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/plexmediaserver.service to /lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.
    Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u7) ...
    Processing triggers for mime-support (3.58) ...
    root@server:/#

Done. Seriously... Done. You can run the following command to keep things clean and free up about 100MB.

root@server:tmp/# rm plexmediaserver_*

That command simply deletes the downloaded installer.

Any other instructions you encounter requiring additional steps for directory instructions should not be needed. This is exactly what I did, step by step with 100% success.

To access the server you will need to open your web browser and enter...

http://server.yourdomain.com:32400/web or your local IP as http://000.000.000.000:32400/web

The most important thing is /web most instructions will relay that only the port number is needed :32400, but in my experience you will often receive an XML error if you do not include /web

When you do, you should be automatically directed to your Plex account to log in and from this site you can edit all your configurations and shares (Libraries).

This may seem daunting, especially if English is a second language, but this is all you are really doing...

$ ssh user@server.yourdomain.com

user@server:/$ su
    root@server:/# cd /tmp

root@server:tmp/# wget https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/1.9.7.4460-a39b25852/plexmediaserver_1.9.7.4460-a39b25852_amd64.deb

--ONLY IF PLUGGIN ATTEMPTED--
    root@server:tmp/# chown plex /var/lib/plexmediaserver
    root@server:tmp/# chgrp plex /var/lib/plexmediaserver
    ----------------------------------------

root@server:tmp/# dpkg -i plexmediaserver_1.9.6.4429-23901a099_amd64.deb

root@server:tmp/# rm plexmediaserver_*

11 Mal editiert, zuletzt von sjdaniels ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Other than creating a systemd unit file override, the plugin doesn't really do anything different than your instructions except change where the user's library is. Have you done anything to move it?

Just a tip... Please don't download things in / and then do a rm with a wildcard. Very dangerous. Download the in /tmp or somewhere else.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Other than creating a systemd unit file override, the plugin doesn't really do anything different than your instructions except change where the user's library is. Have you done anything to move it?

Just a tip... Please don't download things in / and then do a rm with a wildcard. Very dangerous. Download the in /tmp or somewhere else.

I did not move anything. I installed the plugin as I always have and it simply didn't work. Plex constantly said "Looking for Server" and would never find one. This happened multiple times on multiple installs since 3.0.90 - Never had the issue prior. Understanding plex has had multiple repository updates and issues I found this method worked flawlessly.

As far as the "tip" I agree. In detail I did it this way to get the system up and done quickly since it is live online with an FQD and I simply copy pasted my commands. I also did an ls -all before including the * wildcard to verify no interference. I could as easily done rm ple and hit tab to fill in the specified file, but I'm trying to keep it simple and as the instructions say "clean install" there should be no other "plex" files within the directory.

I edited the post Like 6 times, I have never written any sort of instructions for others to follow, I just write my own notes for later reference. I think I may clean it up a bit later since the Plex Plugin will possibly be gone in the future for OMV and I think Plex server is a must. Not only for competitive reasons, but target market. Any more advice for it is appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did not move anything. I installed the plugin as I always have and it simply didn't work

Using a library in a different location than default is why your install instructions are working and the plugin fails. If the plugin didn't try to use a library in a different location, it would work fine. And how to use a library in a non-default location is what Plex seems to keep changing. Just another reason I wish people would use plex in a docker but no one seems to be moving that direction.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• My manual install wasn't working because I hadn't downloaded the package. I knew this, but wasn't sure exactly how to get the package. Got it now.

I have completed the install with no issues via the method above from sjdaniels:

...and I don't have access to the Plex server. I think it is unique to my network issue, as I still have full admin/root access to OMV in general.

I previously had Plex running no problem on OMV 2.x using a more simple network setup (DD-WRT as router/switch-->Unifi AP). I have changed to a Unifi setup (Security Gateway-->AP [currently no switch; not really needed for now]). Then when I did a clean install (from USB) of OMV 3.x, I reinstalled plugins including PlexMediaServer. Since being unable to access my server multiple times, I have uninstalled plugin/reinstallled/uninstalled/removed plex install files and folders/ and now installed via cli.

I believe I just have a network issue in accessing. Maybe someone can help me diagnose.

Also, here is the error I am receiving in Webgui:

• I'm hoping someone else can help you out, because your network setup is a little complicated for me. I don't use any firewalls or special configs on the server side. That way I can test and troubleshoot locally without worries of IPFW corruption and such.

Instead I use a firewall at my gateway/router level to the outside world. It makes things much easier to troubleshoot. Basically if it works in my office and not from the internet then I am fairly confident it's a firewall issue.

Have you tried internally to use http://servers.local.ip.address:32400/web or http://servername.local:32400/web from a machine also on your local network?

If it fails at that point... disable your firewalls and attempt again.

• Yes, but my network is split into multiple LANS (the Unifi Security Gateway has a LAN port that I have wired to my OMV NAS, but it is assigned to a LAN2, distinct from the LAN1 which connects to my AP).

Anyway, I need to reassign my OMV IP (192.168.11.x --> 192.168.1.x) so it is on LAN1. Can you give me an idea where I go about this? Reinstall OMV? IS there an existing ipconfig I can edit?

OMV 4.1.35-1 (Arrakis)
    Lenovo TS140

Docker-Plex

• Yes, but my network is split into multiple LANS (the Unifi Security Gateway has a LAN port that I have wired to my OMV NAS, but it is assigned to a LAN2, distinct from the LAN1 which connects to my AP).

Anyway, I need to reassign my OMV IP (192.168.11.x --> 192.168.1.x) so it is on LAN1. Can you give me an idea where I go about this? Reinstall OMV? IS there an existing ipconfig I can edit?

In OMV WebGUI it's just System - Network - Interfaces to setup your IP

UPDATE: Also... only list one (1) DNS server. Multiple threads tell you to just comma separate DNS, but I had some services failing when I did that. I found one snippet from a discussion that someone said list one (1) DNS server so I did and no more issues. When everything works you can attempt adding another.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von sjdaniels ()

• Just an update for my issue. I removed my Unifi Security Gateway, and replaced with a proper router. I was using the USG to route traffic onto two different LANs, and while support said that it automatically forwards traffic across LANs, I found that was not the case. I wasn't using it in a proper setup.

I have resolved by putting in a proper router, and setup Docker/Plex with absolutely no issues using the steps outlined here.

Thanks for the awesome forum, btw. And for anyone reading, make sure to donate if you like using OMV.

OMV 4.1.35-1 (Arrakis)
    Lenovo TS140

Docker-Plex

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!